NLite, what is it? Good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

canesheadcase

Hey all, it's been quite some time since I've had tech problems, but alas they never really do go away...

Right now my computer is so amazingly slow it sometimes stops functioning at all. It is AMAZING how slow it has become. I did a ton of google'ing cleared the cache, temp files, defrag'ed, disk clean-up, etc. Went into the performance tab on system in the control panel and turned off most of the stuff to make xp "pretty", and it's still blazingly slow...

That's what I've tried so far. Then I went to my friends house and his computer is amazingly fast! I couldn't believe so I asked what was special and he said he was running minixp. Stripped out all the unneccissary crap, so i googled that too.

Ok, so that's my background, I found a program called NLite that does it but my question is how it works. Do you have to wipe the hdd and re-install the entire OS, or does it just strip the existing framework? I've already had to format the hdd once this year (nasty virus) so I'd rather not, but if I must I must.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else has/is using NLite, or somethign else, would recommend something else perhaps? Thanks in advance!

I could be wrong but I think nLite just allows you to alter XP CD to integrate Service Packs or other updates, drivers, third party software etc. so you haven't got to do it upon the initial installation.

nLite isn't a modified version of XP, instead it allows you to modify it yourself.

At least that's what I gather from reading a quick description.

Yeah I know NLite let's you modify xp, I went through and checked out the guides and stuff, but when or how? Would I need to format my hdd and then re-install xp with the ISO/CD I just made with NLite? Or does it just modify the current XP on your system right now?

You'd alter the XP installation CD and then reinstall Windows. Not sure I understand what you're looking to get out of this but, good luck :).

That's what I'd figured....

I'm just looking to speed up my computer, it's dreadfully slow. I run spyware and virus software... do everything that a "good little computer user" should do, but wow is this thing slow. Oh well... I'm probably not going to switch then. Thanks for your help! I appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back