No Administartor Account on Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe somehow my administrator capabilities (account) was deleted or disabled. I don't know the original administrator User Name and Password either. The one account on the computer is not the administrator and therefore anytime I try to solve the problem, I'm able to due to not have the administrator capabilities. I tried this suggest (see below) from this board but again, it won't let me into Local Security Policies because I'm not the admin. BTW, I'm running XP Professional.

Any help??? Thanks.

Suggestion from a previous poster on this site sometime ago....
"I recently had the same problem, where I accidentally disabled my admin account. I had to install a patch to run Nero giving it access to the burners, and to cut a long story short I ended up with my admin account disabled and no way of logging back into my machine. Since the last few posts did not resolve this problem, and I am sure there are going to be others who will find themselves in the same predicament, I decided to share my experience and solution.
There are numerous hacks that can be used, and I would advise people against them. Instead, stick with XP and work through the problem. To restate the problem, if the admin account has been disabled (to the best of my knowledge there is no way to delete it completely!) you will come to the windows login without a login name. You can press ctrl+alt+delete twice to pull-up a log-in screen and when you type in “administrator” and enter your password (if you have one!) it will say “Your account has been disabled. Please contact your systems administrator.” Obviously you can’t go much further with this. Instead, re-start your machine and keep hitting F8 and enter safe mode with command prompt. You should be able to hit ctrl+alt+delete twice to pull up a log-in screen again and re-enter administrator and whatever password you may have. That will take you to a command prompt “C:\ documents and settings/administrator.” Now you are in business. Simply type “control” at the prompt and press enter. This should bring up a message that allows you to enter Windows recovery function, and it will also open the control panel. Click on Administrative Tools and then Local Security Policies to bring up the settings. On the left side bar you can select Local Policies and then Security Options and Enable the Administrator Account the same way you may have disabled it. Of course another possibility and perhaps simpler option is to revert back to an earlier setting using the recovery utility. I actually enabled my admin account, so I am not sure if recovery will fix the problem. I think it should.
Well, hope this helps anyone else who finds him/herself in this precarious position!"
~Cavinda

Boot in safe mode and you should see the administrator account. If you dont have the password you can clear using an offline password editor (boot cd)

When a boot in safe mode, a Username does come up (it's not the original Username assigned, however I don't know what the original one is) in the dialogue box and by not entering a password it does take me in, however it isn't the Admin Account because I can't perform any Admin functions???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back