"No audio device" -- "no playback device" -- "no sound card was found"

"no audio device" "no playback device" "No Sound Card was found"
ok.. I'm stuck.. puzzled...

I recently had a professional computer fix it company wipe my computer and now I do not have any sound. I do not have even the little icon on the bottom left hand corner to turn volume up or down. My keyboard does not allow me to turn the volume up or down, it seems unresponsive to volume but does light up on the screen showing VOLUME... but of course, there is no volume... I am computer illiterate and thirsty for answers...

Operating System
Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600)
Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3

System Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 061

System Model
Enclosure Type: Desktop
RC663AA-ABA a1640n

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Processor
Intel(R) Core (TM)2 CPU
6300 @ 1.86GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 2046MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Volume
indicates "no sound" and Device Volume is all the way to LOW and everything is GREY and untouchable/unchangeable

Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Audio
indicates "no playback devices" on Sound Playback

Sound recording is working fine as I use skype many times but I can not hear the other party but they can hear me just fine.

Starting with the BIOS, I went into Audio and made sure this was enabled.. it was...

downloaded/installed Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio

and

downloaded/installed REALTEK AC97 Audio

the DEVICE MANAGER>system speaker says there are no drivers installed for this device; Device Manager shows NO yellow flags;

DEVICE MANAGER>Sound, video, and game controllers has:
>ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI AA01
>Audio Codecs
>Legacy Audio Codecs
>Legacy Video Capture Devices
>Media Control Devices
>USB Audio Device
>Video Codecs

Checking all hardware reveals that all devices (Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Devices, Media Control Devices etc..) are working properly.

I have tried the Windows XP trouble shooting menus without success.

I have RUN> typed in "services.msc
then checked Windows Audio>General
verified that Start up type is "Automatic"
and even >Windows Audio>Restart the Service on all failures...
yet, still no sound...

I have checked the speakers and it seems like there is noise/static coming out but i can only hear it if earplugs are plugged in... so it seems that the connection is fine.

after RUN>
typing in "dxdiag"
DIRECTXDIAGNOSTIC TOOL>Sound
it reads under notes,
"No sound card was found. If one is expected, you should install a sound driver provided bv the hardware manufacturer".

This is where I get fuzzy and lost. Do I need a new sound card installed? Is that the problem?

I would be grateful for any advice that could be offered. Please speak in laymans terms... and explain in detail your directions.. Thank you kindly.

<snip>
after RUN>
typing in "dxdiag"
DIRECTXDIAGNOSTIC TOOL>Sound
it reads under notes,
"No sound card was found. If one is expected, you should install a sound driver provided bv the hardware manufacturer".

This is where I get fuzzy and lost. Do I need a new sound card installed? Is that the problem?

That dxdiag "no sound card" message is misleading as I've found it says that if no driver OR sound card. I think you're missing the right driver

Also, it would seem from your post you have High Definition (HD) audio. Which means you'll need to find the right High Definition audio driver. (AC97 pre-dates HD audio so the Realtek AC97 couldn't be right)

Try starting on the HP support website HERE and enter your model number or they have a button where they'll try to identify your product and drivers for your model. They should list an HD audio driver there

Back