No available jack info

Hi, I am new to the forums here and I have hard problem I seem to not be able to solve. I recently swapped out a old HDD for a Dell Dimension 6400 with a newer one. I couldn't get Windows XP to install because it said it couldn't find the HDD. I was able to install Windows 7 however. It came with a bunch of drivers already with Windows 7. The audio does not work what so ever. I checked the computer and the driver Realtek 97 is working. However it says "No available jack information" I tried replugging the the sound into different jacks and it doesn't work. Can anyone help?

The new hard drive needs to be seen by the motherboards bios first. You could have used the new hard drive's manufacturers install software made for DOS in XP. Check Dell's support site for the proper Windows 7 drivers. Do not use the driver disc provided by Dell, if this is what you have. If you still can't get the sound to work, the motherboard isn't actually suited for Windows 7

If the new drive is a SATA drive, all you have to do is plug it into the motherboard. Because it wasn't seen by XP, I think it is an IDE (PATA) drive. If it is, you most likely have to set the rear jumper to the CS (Cable Select) position before you connect it

It should be read as a SATA. Its a SATA Caviar Blue Western Digital 500GB HDD. I originally plugged in the blue wire to the HDD and the other wire that was connected to the old one. Is there something i'm missing or should I unplug and replug it?

SATA devices are simple to install. You have a thin data cable and a power connector. If you decide to go back to XP, download and create a bootable CD or floppy Western Digital install disc first

Back