No beeps, no video on start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

momslooney

This just started today, I updated to windows 7 a few days ago and all was going fine. I shut my computer down (though I thought) last night and when I woke up this morning it was still on the logging out page so I shut it down from the switch. I restarted it later on in the day and got no beeps on start up and no video. I took it all apart cleaned it (including the monitor) and it worked for a few hours. During a download my computer shut down and when I turned it back on it said it was over heating so I shut it down again, waited a few hours and now I'm not getting beeps on start up or video. This has become very frustrating for me. I can't tell you much about the computer because all the info is on it, I can tell you that I have a MSI mobo, intel processor, and it has 2 gb ram. I hope someone can help me resolve this issue. Thank you

It could be your power supply. Are any LEDs on; any fans turning, etc.?

Do you have a friend who has a digital multimeter to test the psu? What is the make, model, and wattage of your psu?

all fans work, the green led light comes on indicating that it is getting power. I can hear the hard drive running and I just put thermal paste on the processor (the stuff on there was bone dry) about a half hour ago. But, it's still not doing anything.Everything inside the case is running I just don't get any start up beeps or video.
The motherboard is a msi n1996 KM4AM-V. Don't know if that helps but, i'm trying to give you guys as much info as I can as I come by it. I just tried clearing the cmos but, still nothing. Does anyone think that this motherboard is dead?

What is the make and model of your power supply? I looked up your motherboard and am I correct in reading that you have onboard video?

The make and model of my psu is Antec 400watt and yes it does have onboard video but, I was having problems with that about a year ago and put a video card in it, nvidia nforce 3 250 series but that's not even working.

The make and model of my psu is Antec 400watt and yes it does have onboard video but, I was having problems with that about a year ago and put a video card in it, nvidia nforce 3 250 series but that's not even working.

How long has this video card not been working? Have you checked to see if all your cables are secured at both ends?

the on board video stopped working properly about 6 months to a year ago. the other video just stopped at the same time I was no longer receiving start up beeps. I have checked all cables numerous times, even unplugged things and plugged them back in but, nothing is working.

Okay, lets try this tried and true diagnostic step that can get tedious but many people have found it works in trying to isolate the issue/hardware.

Start out with just your power plug from psu into the motherboard, cpu, and one stick of RAM. Disable all other hardware components from the motherboard. For the monitor, harddrive and dvd drives this means simply disengaging the cables from the motherboard.

For video and sound cards and any other sticks of RAM they must be uninstalled.

Now with just psu to motherboard, cpu, and one stick of RAM boot-up. If it boots up then shut down and add another component boot up and so on.

Any issues booting up? Any beeps or no beeps?

* One other thing: check for bulging tops on motherboard capacitors.

ok I will try this tomorrow it's late right now..I will let you know how it all goes. Thanks

Did as you suggested and right off the bat I had no power to anything..Nothing came on when I turned it on except the cpu fan. h\So I hooked everything back up and now it does nothing. I'm not getting power to anything any more. My nephew is going to bring over and psu he has we are going to try hooking that up. I will let you know how it all goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back