No Ethernet or Wireless Toshiba Sattelite

Latch

Hi all,

I have completely wiped my hard drive. I purchased back up media from Toshiba and got a down load from windows for windows 8.1. When I install all of this I have 5 things in the device manager with yellow exclamation marks. Through the Toshiba website I have managed to find 4 of these apart from a network controller. I have noticed that the usb port and the lan port on the left hand side of the computer are not working . usb port shows in device manager but does not recognise any usb. the other 3 usb ports on the right work. I have tried downloading files from Toshiba in relation to this and they just freeze. I do have a pci and ven number and have worked out its the Atheros ar956x controller however the drivers that I am looking for don't seem to work
any help gratefully appreciated

As you have paid Toshiba for the back up media it seems to me that they should provide you with the necessary support. You could have downloaded drivers from their website for nothing but opted to pay instead.

I did pay yes but when I phoned Toshiba they now want me to pay more money to rectify it as well as an expensive phone bill. That is why I put it on here to see oi anyone could kindly help me

Please describe system. Model, when acquired, how long since you last cleaned inside, issues and problems over last month or so, anti-malware, when was last run, was it clear?

I wonder if there are heat related issues which may be resolved by a thorough cleaning - check for your model on youtube.

Support from computer companies is woeful outside a warranty and to add premium phone numbers as well is very annoying. It would be useful to detail the problems you were having before you decided to wipe your hard drive.

Please describe system. Model, when acquired, how long since you last cleaned inside, issues and problems over last month or so, anti-malware, when was last run, was it clear?

I wonder if there are heat related issues which may be resolved by a thorough cleaning - check for your model on youtube.

it's a Toshiba sattelitte c50b13t it's 18 months old
it was unable to boot up at all. I think it had malware so decided to clean disk and start afresh.

Hi
prior to me wiping the hard drive computer did not load and was unable to restore to factory settings. I was told that it was probably malware or virus and best thing to do was to wipe and start again. I am not too bothered if lan and usb are not working as long as I can get wireless internet. In device manager I have a yellow triangle on network controller unsure if this is connected in any way to lan not being recognised. As stated I have the hen and dev number and know it's a Atheros ar956x but if I try to install the driver it just freezes. I have tried all the options in the Toshiba manual.
thanking you all for your assistance

So I gather that the computer will POST, and you can access BIOS, and you wiped your existing drive with some type of reliable method, and you re-installed the OS from clean disks, and you downloaded fresh drivers from the manufacturer's website as needed (chipset, audio, LAN, etc) and you installed them, and you fully updated your version of Windows with Microsoft so that if you do a manual update request, it responds saying that there are no updates.

So all of this was done and you are still having an issue with Wireless and an issue with USB.

I tried to locate LAN driver for your unit, but Toshiba does not recognize the model you specified. I did find driver support and I did note that there were several drivers were available - but I have no idea which should work for you.

http://support.toshiba.com/sscontent?contentId=4007069

Thank you for all the info with regards to network controller in device manager I have looked and the one I am looking for is 10.0.0.329 I can not find one or one that is free and has auto install tried others and they just freeze.
thank you for all information much appreciated
stumped with this as if I could just get it onto the internet

Found it... you are in the UK and Toshiba has different model numbers on your side of the puddle - and your number does exist - and there are lots of drivers.

However, they seem to think that your system should use a Realtek driver:

09/12/2014 LAN Driver Realtek Semiconductor Corporation Windows 8.1 - 64 Bit 8.024.1218.2013 World Wide

Do you have this already?

Right at the start you mention that you are on Windows 8.1. I've not had issues with drivers when upgrading for W7 and W8.1 to W10 but it stands to reason that there will be a few exceptions and maybe yours is one. The more recent drivers specify for Windows 10 and may not be backward compatible. It annoys a few people to be encouraged to upgrade to Windows 10 but it is worth doing. It might side step your driver issue. If you want to try that have a look and see if you can make the necessary downloads using Microsoft's media creation tool on your connected PC.

Double check that you are trying out 64 bit drivers to match the W8.1 64bit OS. If you've eliminated all the available drivers with no result I suspect, as it worked previously, that there is a physical problem with the wireless card. It looks like there is something wrong with the nearby usb port too. You could buy a usb wireless card to get online.

Back