No Google pages load in any browser

This is an old question on here, but the answers are old too and I have read and tried many of the suggestions given.

The problem is not mine. I am on Hughes Net Forum as well, and researching the problem for someone there. Every time something does not work, the HN customers blame the Satellite, modem or ground facilities. Most of the time it is their computer that has the problem.

The thread is located here.
http://community.myhughesnet.com/hu...gle_websites_webpages_chrome_browser_vanished

I have learned much studying this problem and been able to find tweaks that have speed up my browsing experience by using the Hosts file, and running a little script that resets the Win Sockets and other tweaks.

Any advice would be appreciated. As I say most of the topics on this subject are over two years old and I just want a more modern look at the subject. Thanks

Let's get basic. Regardless of which browser is desired, TCP connectivity is the fundamental requirement. We test TCP access to the Internet thusly:
  1. ping 127.0.0.1 (proves the driver and hardware on this system is ok)
  2. run IPCONFIG /ALL, look for the Default GATEWAY address, and ping it (thus proving the connection to the router is ok).
  3. ping 8.8.8.8 (that's the google dns address and absence of timeouts says the connection to your ISP is ok to router tcp packets)
  4. finally run NSLOOKUP GOOGLE.COM (and you should get back google's ip address which says your DNS setings are ok too).
If ALL of the above look good, then TCP networking is ok (ignoring file sharing for now) and if there are issues with browsers, it is not in TCP.

The software installed on the system can be in question but let's move there slowly.

On the link shown, the TRACERT is showing IPv6 addresses - - this might be fun.

Thanks for quick response. That TRACERT is mine for that OP to compare to since mine works fine. I think I have my DNS disabled from following instructions installing a Hosts file. Mine was originally empty.

I use a host file too - - ALWAYS to disable access, not to define it.
Likely you've seen MVSP.ORG and use that file - - there are others.

First thing to get at the original issue (getting a browser to access google), is
echo "127.0.0.1 localhost >etc\hosts
or RESET the host file to it's minimum and reenable DHCP auto for IP and DNS addresses.

Using the hosts file w/o DNS is fraught with issues - - what if google.com moves it www.google.com server?

I got the hosts file here: http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Instructions here: http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hostswin7.htm
say:
[FONT=Verdana]Editors Note: in most cases a large HOSTS file (over 135 kb) tends to slow down the machine.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]To resolve this issue (manually) open the "Services Editor"[/FONT]
  • Start | Run (type) "services.msc" (no quotes)
  • Scroll down to "DNS Client", Right-click and select: Properties - click Stop
  • Click the drop-down arrow for "Startup type"
  • Select: Manual (recommended) or Disabled click Apply/Ok and restart.
Are you saying I should undo those instructions?

The entire instruction (last I saw) was
  1. ipconfig /flushdns
  2. net stop "dns client"
  3. net start "dns client"
ONE voids the cache so new requests actually access the DNS
TWO is necessary to get the THREE
and THREE not only restarts the DNS client, but LOADS that host file change into the client so that it is effective :)

Welcome :)

While it is possible to run completely w/o the dns client, the problem comes when a website returns a redirect to another location, eg:
ask for www.google.com
get redirected to www2.us.google.com (totally fictitious)​
ask for www2.us.google.com as told​
get huh? what's that?​

we can't anticipate these things and DNS is our only solution.

Back