'No Man's Sky' is getting an improved central story and quick-travel portals in third...

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The third major update for No Man’s Sky is due out later this week. Dubbed Atlas Rises, it delivers a pair of oft-requested features at no cost to players.

Hello Games co-founder Sean Murray in announcing the update said it will focus on improving the game’s central story and add the ability to quick travel between locations via portals. The first two major updates added base-building and land vehicles, respectively.

Murray promised that patch notes will be made available shortly before the update goes live later this week.

No Man’s Sky launched exactly one year ago to the day as one of the most anticipated games in recent memory. Unfortunately, it fell way short of expectations which resulted in a passion-fueled outcry on a level that’s rarely seen.

Hello Games, with just 16 employees, has been working to rectify the shortcomings ever since.

Whether or not it makes financial sense to continue to support a game that doesn’t have a huge following at this point is questionable. If nothing else, however, you’ve got to applaud Hello Games for its continued commitment to improving No Man’s Sky. It would have been easy for the tiny developer to take the money it made from the game and run or shift all of its resources to a new project but that hasn't been the case.

Permalink to story.

They can't shift their projects because no one would get it, after the epic fail of the after-launch they had. I'm still wondering how a small group of indie developers could give the impression of delivering a AAA -priced- game. There is nothing to commend here Shawn, they are simply doing what they need to do to be able to sleep at night.

I really don't think it's questionable whether they should continue to support the game... It made a massive amount of money on pre-sales and early sales, still has people buying even though it's been panned all throughout its first year... If they decided to cut and run, the backlash would destroy any positive strides they have made so far, and the stigma would follow the dev team throughout the industry, no matter where they ended up or what new project they tried to start. Continuing to work on making it right for No Man's Sky at least shows some character for the Hello Games crew.

They can't shift their projects because no one would get it, after the epic fail of the after-launch they had. I'm still wondering how a small group of indie developers could give the impression of delivering a AAA -priced- game. There is nothing to commend here Shawn, they are simply doing what they need to do to be able to sleep at night.
It's not like they need to add their names to the new project. And you are seriously underestimating just how many will give them a second chance.

It's almost like they're trying to finish making the game they wanted to make before they were forced to rush the game out of the door early amid a torrent of death threats for saying they wanted to delay the release to finish making the game.

Man once the internet hops on a hate bandwagon they never get off do they?

Shame on Sean for blatent false advertising, but also shame on the general public for expecting an actual miracle game from a tiny indie studio. Considering that it was even lame at launch, but with the updates (which im certain about 95% of the haters havent even tried) its a decent indie offering.

I can understand the hatred over the false advertising - but at least give the game merits where its due.

I actually JUST purchased this game. For $25, what it should have probably been worth in the beginning. Then they could have released these as expansion packs, and sold them for $15 a piece.... but then people would still lose their minds because it's not what they originally promised... but would you really complain as much for $25? Maybe... maybe not.

Shame on Sean for blatent false advertising, but also shame on the general public for expecting an actual miracle game from a tiny indie studio. Considering that it was even lame at launch, but with the updates (which im certain about 95% of the haters havent even tried) its a decent indie offering.

I can understand the hatred over the false advertising - but at least give the game merits where its due.

Why should the public be ashamed for expecting features they were promised? Dude simply scammed people for a lot of money, they have a reason to be pissed off. It must be people just blindly hating, right?

Why should the public be ashamed for expecting features they were promised? Dude simply scammed people for a lot of money, they have a reason to be pissed off. It must be people just blindly hating, right?
Scammed is much too strong of a word. They are devs not the devil, deadlines are very hard to keep (I've had plenty of white nights while trying to finish coding something). They definitely overpromised and underdelivered, but I respected the fact they didn't just abandon it and continued to work while not asking for things like paid DLC and other crap that others are known to do with their unfinished games (and god knows that we have plenty of examples that did exactly that from even AAA games).

It's not like they need to add their names to the new project. And you are seriously underestimating just how many will give them a second chance.
Yes, because things in the internet never come out /s
I've seen developers rush to get a game out of the "early access" to get a new one out there that brings in more dollars, I've also seen developers stop a project and then start a new one without even bringing it out of the early access, without using their names, everyone knows and nobody buys.
I believe the scam came from what they promised and how much they charged for that promise which they didn't deliver.

I won't lie, I actually enjoyed the game for a good 50 hours, so even though I paid too much for it, and everyone else hated it, I might jump back into it just to go scouting for different species of critters throughout, maybe find that last unexplored planet out of what was it 18 quadrillion possibilities?

I won't lie, I actually enjoyed the game for a good 50 hours, so even though I paid too much for it, and everyone else hated it, I might jump back into it just to go scouting for different species of critters throughout, maybe find that last unexplored planet out of what was it 18 quadrillion possibilities?
Yeah, it's 18 quadrillion. It is so big you would need to explore for years before you find another player.

Yeah, it's 18 quadrillion. It is so big you would need to explore for years before you find another player.

Oh so they put in multiplayer support? Or don't you remember when there were two people who were on the same planet and could not actually see each other?

Oh so they put in multiplayer support? Or don't you remember when there were two people who were on the same planet and could not actually see each other?
Those were the dimensions update, they thought the game was not big enough, so they thought they needed to add extra dimensions...

Back