No post beep sound, but everything working fine.

Samson48

Hello there,
I am having a bit of a problem with my pc it starts up but does not give a post beep sound, everything is working, I can watch movies, listen to music and play games, I have absolutely no idea what's wrong with this thing and I don't really know that much about computers except from what I read online. It all started when I decided to change out from my old monitor to a gaming monitor, I found that it didn't like the HDMI cable so I changed it to a Display port cable instead and it all worked apart from letting me know that it's booted up with that beep sound.

If anyone can give me some idea what could be the cause of this, I would very much appreciate that.
Thank you in advance.

Some motherboards actually have a spot where you can turn off the POST beep. I wonder if yours got turned off somehow? Some motherboards use a small PC speaker to make those POST beeps and it can be removed or in your case accidently removed?

If it is working I guess you don't have to worry. The single POST beep is just to let you know all is working. Is it booting more slowly now? Maybe it is going through a new step like memory training each time? You should have noticed it is booting more slowly if that is the case.

My last idea is that there has been a bad batch of displayport cables going around that has power on pin#20. There is not supposed to be power there and this power leaks back into the motherboard and does weird things. Maybe try the HDMI cable again? See if the beep comes back ...if it does then you could check for continuity on that pin#20

Last edited:
Thanks for reply Kshipper, I changed it from HDMI to Displayport cable because the computer wouldn't even boot up, there was nothing on the screen and the keyboard and mouse were not working so I decided to change the cable to see if it would make any difference and it did it booted up but without the beep sound, I'll give the HDMI cable another go and let you know how it went.

Ok, I gave the HDMI cable a go, it booted up but without the beep sound, I then removed it because the HDMI put the monitor at 144hz when it's suppose to be 165hz and also it gave the wrong max resolution, it did this the first time I used the HDMI cable and it only worked for less then a week brfore I lost the screen, keyboard and mouse. I have no idea what's wrong with thing, everything used to work fine untill I got this new monitor and then it all went to s..t. The speed of the boot up is good with the Displayport as well as the HDMI it made no difference in how fast it was and I have been using the Displayport cable for about 4 days now without any problems, one other thing is there a setting in the Bios that turns on the beep sound.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Oh ok..so the POST beep is fixed with the BIOS setting <cool>. That HDMI cable might be older and not that good of a cable. Did you see LTT review on HDMI cables? Quite a few bad cables out there. Shocking.

Sorry Kshipper I think that you might have misunderstood me when I mentioned about the Bios and the beep sound, I was asking if there is a setting in the Bios, not that there is one, and with the cables just how many do you have to buy before you get a good one, sometimes you just have to put up with what you got, I understand what this guy is talking about but you got to draw the line somewhere. I sometimes just wonder if the manufactures do this on purpose so we spend more money on there products.

Thank you.

Oh ok..well some motherboards do have a setting that lets you turn off the POST beep sound. You could check your BIOS settings to see if you have that feature. Maybe yours got turned off if you do. I think he mentions a list of tested cables that we can refer to.

Even what this guy says about these HDMI cables doesn't mean that we will end up buying one that fixes all of our problems, maybe every second or third one will do the job, the ones he was talking about were over five feet long and the one I was using was 3 feet long and that one is broken since it couldn't transmit what the output of my monitor was, but I will go out and find myself another HDMI cable even if I have spend a bit more for it, I've got to get lucky sometime.

I think this got a little of track with the video cables. I have two questions: First, has this machine ever booted with a POST beep? Second, have you visually verified that there is a speaker to produce a POST beep?

Most importantly though, why are you worried about POST beep if the computer works fine? The majority of newer computers that have come through my shop don't even have a speaker, and plenty of them don't even have a place to put one. When I build a new pc, and the mobo comes with a speaker, I'll ask the client if they care about it. Honestly, most newer computers I've seen don't support beep codes.

Back