No screen signal when I come to the log-in menu, Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sondredb

Hi.
I got this problem.

Yesterday, the sound was starting to lagg on my PC, and i tried to unnplug / plugg the audio cable. No luck, so looked inside the PC. I tapped on the audio source ( not hard ), and when i looked at my screen, it was lagging, and went black.

I restarted my computer, and it started normaly, the Windows Logo, with the loader came up, and when it was finished, all went black. The PC screen said : " No signal". So ive double checked the screen cable, but still it wont work, and it's weird. Becasue the screen works, before this log-in menu, so i think it's something with the PC.

So i hitted F8, and opened my PC in " Last Working bla bla .. " , and the same happened.
I tried again, now in "Safe mode". I can login to my PC in SafeMode, i get the login menu for Admins.

So i tried that System Recover that takes you back in time to load the last working thing. But it the same happend here too, ( no signal atfer Windows Loader )

So now im posting this in "Safe Mode with Net" on my PC now.

Do you guys have ANY idea about how i can fix this?

No

The worked just fine. I think i must have damaged the Screencard, or just something has gone wrong.

Okei. So i can get into VGA Mode by pressing F8, and choose it. But my problem is:

The screen-quality is at the lowest it can possibly be.

And when i try to change it, the scrren just turns black, and i only see a fade-in-and-out "-" in the left upper corner.

Any idea how to fix my screen quality, and how i can lon-in normally again?

What has happened is most likely someone changed your resolution (or something, such as a program) to much to high a setting or someone/something changed the refresh rate for the monitor.

The easiest way to correct this would be to run system restore back to before this happened as it will just be a system setting.

The only other cause to this would have to be a driver issue. If that is the case and you had installed an updated video card driver, again, to solve this run the system restore.

Start>Program>Accessories>System Tools> System Restore : Restore to earlier time and chose date from before this issue had started.

Please post back if this had worked.

Cheers!

I found the issue, fixed it, but can i "fix" the old card?

Hey.

I tried to restore those system settings but it didnt work, however i tried a tip from my negihbour, who told me to try unstalling the videocard.

I did that, and the PC used a "secondary" thing. This "secondary thing" worked for my screen, but the PC installed the other videocard again, and everything went to hell when i tried to change the video settings..

So this is what ive found out:

My videocard cant show more than 600x800 or something, (it think it was lower). ( before it could do like 2400 ), and if i try to change it, all get's black.

So i disabled the videocard, and i got this "secondary again". It works pretty good, it has 1280x1024, but it sucks, and it laggs when i scroll..

So yes, my PC works, but i want another video card, or try to fix the old one.

So thanks for all help i got.

Now, does anyone know how to "fix" my videocard?

It may be that the GPU is toast, which the last person suggested. I take it in the device manager there were no exclamation marks or question marks regarding anything about video or display?

If that is the case, maybe try resetting the bios defaults and going to download the latest omega drivers instead of the drivers you are currently using. They are a optimized version of Nvidia/ATI's drivers and are alot more stable than the respective manufaturers in most cases. To get them you just go to google, type Omega Drivers and it will be the first link and then on the new page there is a menu a the top for driver downloads. Then just follow their instructions for which video card and OS you have.

The only other thing, short of trying a new video card or reinstalling your OS, is maybe you have a underpowered video card. What is the power supply wattage on your computer and what video card do you currently have installed in the system?

Most mid-high end video cards require 400w+ power supplies and the video card must be connected to the video card with a PCIe power connector coming from the power supply (this is irrelevant though if you are using integrated graphics)

Hey again.

I tried to download Omega Drivers.

I found my graphiccard type, downloaded and installed.

I got some problems in the beginning, but after doing some settings in the program, and restart my computer 2-3 times, it suddenly worked perfectly.

I can set my screen ressolution very high, and my screen doesent lagg anymore, so i just tried "NFS Most Wanted" (game), and it worked.

Thanks alot for all the help. :D

Now, what i noticed when i was in the game, was that the sound started to lagg again -.-".

But i don't care, it's only in the game, and it's much better than useing the PC in Safemod.
Again. Thanks ALOT! :D

Good to hear, as for the sound, that could be a whole multitude of issues.

Again, try updating the drivers through your manufactuer site for the model of your computer (ex... Compaq SR1420XN) or the manufacturer of the sound chip (Creative sound blaster, which ever series). If it is only in that one game, go to EA's site and download the latest update for the game or try reinstalling it.

Fixed it

I tried to update the driver for the audio card thing, and it worked.

So yes, it's fine now.

Thansk for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back