No sound after reformatting computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookie60

I have reformatted my hard drive and went to Dells website to download all of the specific drivers. Everything has worked except the sound.
I know it is Soundmax which they had on their website. I downloaded it and was installing soundmax and got the error-"Error Loading Streamci.dll. The specificed module could not be found." Would not go any further. Can anyone help?
I really want my sound.
I have a Dell Dimension 2400.Thanks.

I am running Windows XP and Service Pack 3.

It did now install Soundmax but on my device manager it shows under "Sound and Audio" , Modem audio device has a yellow exclamation point. It tells me that the drivers are not installed for this device. thanks.

WHen you run Windows Update, do you click Custom? Be sure to run Custom updates and install every hardware optional update. Re-run Windows update until it tells you no more updates.

If still a problem
  • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

Modem Audio Device MODEMWAVE\0\{AAB29459-8F48-480D-96C9-F104B3FAA9E1} The drivers for this device are not installed.

Modem Audio Device MODEMWAVE\0\{AAB29459-8F48-480D-96C9-F104B3FAA9E1} The drivers for this device are not installed.

Oh. So could you clarify.... The above would indicate Soundmax then did install correctly. So are you now getting sound? As it would then appear you're only missing a driver for your modem (which i'm guessing shouldn't affect your sound)

here try this driver

dells website

under audio its the middle driver

Hey dustin_ds3000. You add an interesting point!

@cookie60
Did you buy an external sound card from Dell?
> I'm guessing ADI 198x driver is for onboard sound
> Soundblaster stuff is probably for an addon card option Dell must have offered with that computer as well

Do try installing the other drivers as dustin_ds3000 posts. If still a problem, go into your system BIOS do you see an onboard sound option? And is it enabled?

/* edit */
You might also try reinstalling your chipset drivers

/* edit2 */
In BIOS, also check to see if it lists anything about an Audio Controller

hello all. I did try going to the website like Dustin said and installed the middle one, saying "Creative Labs Patch Update" and I will tell you what happened.
It states :setup did not detect the required components, setup will exit"

Now, how do I check the bios, not sure where to go to get that. thanks everyone

We'll skip the BIOS check for the moment.... But a few other questions/things to check

1. I looked again at your posts
> How did you get past the streamci.dll problem?
> When you reformatted/reinstalled did Windows skip over or not find any install files?

2. Click Start->Run, enter services.msc
> Scroll to Windows Audio Service
> Verify StartupType=Automatic and Status=Started

3. In Device Manager, if you rt click the Soundmax driver, look at the General tab. What does it say is the driver status?

4. Generate a DirectX report
  • click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the reports. (If you don't see icon you may need to first cick Go Advanced)

Here's some info and my best guess as to your problem

1) Your sound card hardware is physically detected by Windows (so no need to further check BIOS). This was evidenced in your dxdiag file

2) The dxdiag user interface window that says "No sound card found" is cause the driver is still not installed correctly.
> When you rt click the Soundmax entry in device manager, click Properties. Look at the General tab for Driver Status

3) As for streamci.dll, it seems
> This file is required for the driver to install correctly
> Don't know why it's missing but it seems to happen and go missing for others as well (who also then can't get their sound to work)
> The file should appear in C:\windows\system32\streamci.dll

4) Check Add/Remove Programs. check if an entry for Soundmax or audio exists. Uninstall it. If not in Add/Remove programs then uninstall via Device Manager

5) Before trying to reinstall you'll need to fix streamci.dll problem. You can try these (i'd suggest in the following order, is up to you) to fix streamci.dll
> Run System File Checker tool. If you're lucky it's a "protected" file and this tool will fix it
> Try doing a XP repair install
> Copy the file from another computer that's also running XP SP3

Run it from a command prompt window. Click Start->Run, enter cmd click OK then enter
Code:
sfc /scannow

It may take a while to run. It may also prompt you to insert you XP install CD

No. I meant you should try each step one-at-a-time and after each step see if it might have fixed the problem. So after each step check to see if file C:\Windows\system32\systemci.dll exists and if yes, then try the reinstall to see if its successful

My windows cd is also on my screen but i minimized it, ist that right while this is running?

Minimizing is fine and allows you to watch how the sfc command is doing.. So just wait till sfc is done.. then try the sound driver re-install

well, i did let the sfc finish and tried reinstalling the drivers. same error came up. I am actually doing this for a friend and am going to give up and let him take it to a shop to fix. I do not want to get too more involved as I am afraid i will mess it up.
I appreciate all of your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back