No Sound from Laptop Speakers

Chairreadycase

About a week ago my sound stopped working after my laptop had been in "sleep mode" (from idle). When I clicked on the sound icon on the right side of the windows toolbar, "Digital Audio S/PDIF" was active instead of my default "High Definition Audio Device" (which status was unplugged). Since I'm on a laptop my speakers are obviously built in and can't be unplugged. At the same time a noticed addware behavior with my browser. Meaning there were several hyperlinks spread throughout every page that linked to adds.

I had experienced this a few months ago and figured, like last time, I had lost administrative rights to TrustedInstaller. After going into Windows>Sysytem32 and reclaiming ownership and admin, I began troubleshooting my audio from what little I know.
I ran several different scans and rid my system of a few minor things. (a tech in "virus and malware" said there wasn't anything removed to worry about)

I checked to see if all the audio dependent services were running, which they were.

I stopped and restarted the audio service.

I went to cmnd prompt and entered "shutdown /r /o and refreshed my system once it restarted (did not want to do a factory reset and lose everything)

I deleted the audio driver and restarted. My system updated and re-installed the driver as expected.

After these steps Digital Audio is still default instead of the speakers and there is no audible sound being produced. Can somebody help me figure this out?

After all the steps you described in here, I assume you already tried to default it by yourself on the Manage Audio Devices screen, since now the High Definition Audio Device should not be showing anymore as unplugged but working since the driver re-installation worked as expected. If by any chance you haven't, do it.

Right click the icon for speakers in the taskbar and you should be able to select Playback devices. I’ve two showing: Speakers/Audio and Digital Audio (HDMI). Click on the former to highlight it and then right click for options. There’s a Test for sound on mine and if you spend time in this area you may find something that you’ve overlooked. Try the same for the other sound device that your computer seems to be defaulting to. I’ve found that most problems apart of course from not having the right audio drivers can be resolved here. Hopefully you’ll find something that you’ve overlooked if you check things again thoroughly..

None of that worked. I'm unable to test my speakers at all because that option is unavailable. And now that I think about it, the problem might have started after I connected my flat screen TV to my laptop via HDMI to watch a movie. The problem may have started after that when I disconnected my laptop from the HDMI, although I'm not 100% sure.

Perhaps connect it up again to the TV and see if there are any promising options available or whether anything catches your attention? I did connect mine to the TV to see if it worked a couple of years ago and there were options about which screen or screens to output video to. It's certainly easy to change a setting and forget the way back with Windows.

Yea I tried that now too, and still no luck. I think I have to take it in to the Geek Squad and pay some ridiculous price to get this fixed.

There's a few other things to try and someone else on the forum may yet have a solution for you.

Enter the BIOS at start up and look through to see if there are any references to audio that might help. You need to find which key to tap as the laptop reboots.

Check in Windows Computer Services that the Audio service is starting up. Control Panel, System and Security, Administrative Tools, Component Services, Services Local, Windows Audio Service. If you right click on it you get options for starting the service.

I've already gone through the Services process. The audio and all of it's dependent services were running. I even stopped and restarted them for good measure.

I enter BIOS just now, but I didn't see anything about the audio. I'm not familiar with BIOS so I'm not sure if there was something I should enable in order to view some sort of log that would show if an audio device was working or not.

The BIOS was a bit of a long shot. If you post your laptop model details I'll search and see if I can find any relevant information. You don't have anything plugged into the laptop that might be causing the problem? Hopefully it isn't something like a damaged sound chip or a loose wire inside the laptop. You mentioned that your browser was acting strangely. It's worth downloading SAS antispyware (freeware edition) and running a full scan.

There are posts of problems with the sound on your model laptop but no clear solution. Have you tried plugging in a set of headphones to see if you can get them working? If you can hear audio through them there may be a physical problem with the speakers or sound card.

Acer released this model with Windows 7 and also with Windows 8 so double check that you have been installing the correct drivers for your Windows OS..

Last edited:
Yeah, no sound through my headphones. And yeah, the correct driver is installed plus Windows 8.1 automatically installs and updates drivers during start-up.

"And yeah, the correct driver is installed plus Windows 8.1 automatically installs and updates drivers during start-up"... Not necessairly

Back