No sound no sound device

dave knox

Hi all I have a problem with a clevo all in one pc its a l297n I cant seem to get any sound the drive from clevo websit are not working and there is no audio device in device manager all I have under sound and controllers is unimodem half-duplex audio device and thats it I have tryed so many drivers with no luck but I cant even find what sound controller it has so im blind when finding drivers I windows 7 but I also installed xp pro and it was the same thing so went back to 7 any help would be great as its driving me mad thank you

List any Problem devices
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag and click OK
    ===> If you’re running 32 bit Windows, dxdiag will launch on its own
    ===> If you’re running 64 bit Windows, you’ll see 64-bit DxDiag. Click it to launch the 64-bit version of dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save as a text file to your Desktop
  • Click the Upload a File button to upload and attach the file to your next TechSpot post

Hi thank for the reply I have checked and there is no problem devices under components and no sound device under audio any idears

You need to follow my instructions. Also provide the Direct X Report per instructions in the my last post

Hmmm... Your machine has Hi Definition Audio. I can see the Hi Def Audio Controller is there and is detected. Your Hi Def Audio devices are supposed to connect to that controller. I would expect them to appear either under the Sound or under an Other Devices category.

But since they don't, then try this next. Open Device Manager. Under System Devices
> Look for High Definition Audio Controller. Right click select Uninstall
> Then at the top of Device Manager window, select Action->Scan for Hardware Changes

Windows will now reinstall the driver for the Audio controller. This causes the controller to try and re-detect the audio devices that connect to it. See if any HD audio devices show up now.

If still not, then s[FONT=Arial]ee How To Report Your Computer's Device Manager Data. When you create the file, make sure you change SAVE AS to Tab Delimited Text. Upload that report.[/FONT]

Hi I did what you said but its still the same and I have added the device manager data for you thanks for all your help

Attachments

• devices.txt
    189.6 KB · Views: 1
Please re-run the DevManView report. Be sure you change the File SAVE AS pull down (under Filename) so it's set to Tab Delimited Text. I need the report formatted that way

Hi I got it a few weeks ago and was told that the sound was not working but I took it any way thinking it would just need a driver its not under warranty I have just got a usb sound device which im going to try with some external speakers but I really want to use the built in speakers thats why im trying to sort the sound card out do you know why it has hd sound under system devices and not under sound also any idear what the unimodem sound device is thanks for your help im very great full

Hi Dave

You're most welcome. I'm happy to try and help :)

Here's how I interpret all your data: Your computer has High Definition (HD) Audio (vs the old audio standard that was refered to as AC97 which was found on older machines). HD Audio is sometimes also referred to as HDA

Windows connects with HD Audio like this:

Windows <====> HD Audio Controller <=====> HD Audio Devices​

Windows talks to an HDA controller. In turn, multiple HDA devices can connect to the controller. Windows only "talks" to those HDA devices via the controller.

In Device Manager,
> it's the HDA Controller that appears under System Devices (and we see yours there)
> The HDA devices will be listed under Sound (or sometimes may show up under an Other Device category. This occurs when no driver found for the HDA sound device)

In your case, only one HDA device is detected and listed under Sound. That's the internal modem. If there's also an internal HDA device for sound, it must be broken :( Therefore, it's not detected and not listed in DevMgr anywhere

So USB is your best (and least expensive) option for sound

Back