No sound on Acer Aspire 5100 series

I'm no computer genius, but I knew that having unused programmes on my laptop can't be helping my running speed etc, so in a bid to be quicker I decided to have a clean up.
I went into my add/remove programmes and got rid of a few things...

- MSN messenger
- Adobe Photoshop
- And a few other things I deemed unnecessary.

After that I had no sound. I tired a system restore, nothing, and I've been on the acer website and downloaded the audio driver, still nothing.
I'm running XP, as I tried vista and my laptop didn't take to kindly to this upgrade.

So any help would be very much appreciated. I'm not a major rush, so if it take a week or so of process of elimination I honestly don't mind, its just terrible sat with a silent laptop.

Thanks a lot, Eleanor.

No sound?

Are you sure you installed the correct audio driver ?
I use, a free program from 'Drivereasy.com' It will scan yout PC and get the right drivers for you. But its a good move to uninstall the old one in 'Device Manager' first
Any chance you have just muted the speakers ? ( left click on the speaker in the taskbar and push the marker up to about 15).

See if this might help [post=926040]Reference Guide to Help Setup and Troubleshoot Windows Audio and Sound Cards[/post]

I haven't turned the speakers on mute as I don't have a volume option in the taskbar. When I go in Control Panel, Sounds Speech and Audio Devices it says I have no audio device. I've tried numerous drivers and updates from Microsoft. Seems like I'm just going to have to get a copy of XP and reinstall it.
A friend gave me a list of things to try, none of which worked so he thinks it could be the motherboard. But I don't see how...

Sound problems....

OK, a few, ideas. Did you choose not to have a speaker icon in the taskbar?
It's handy to have if only to mute sound when needed. Go to 'Control panel', 'Sounds and Audio devices'. Look for 'Mute'. If ticked', untick. Tick the box; 'Place the volume icon in the taskbar'. In 'Advanced', untick 'Mute'.
Go to Device manager, look at 'Sound video and game controllers'. click on the plus '+' sign to the left of 'Sound'. Do you see 6 more lines, 'Audio codecs' etc ?
If no, then you don't have any sound drivers installed. Note that Microsoft updates won't have the audio drivers for your PC. You have to get them from the sound chip maker, could be Realtek, intel or Sigmatel for instance. The easiest way is to download 'Drivereasy' (google that word). Download their program, run it, and it will do the searching for you. It won't charge you either. I have used it on 12/9/10, and it works well. Of course you may well have a chip failure on motherboard, by try this first, it's free.

Back