No sound on my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

juanc6

Hello everyone. Well, as said on title, I got no sound on computer. I have a Compaq Presario SR1834NX. Last night for some reason computer restarted by itself and when Windows started, bang, no more sound. It will make the starting sound of Win XP but a few seconds later it will disappear. I've tried installing the Realtek AC'97 driver but nothing happened, tried to restore the system and didn't let me restore it. I have some important information here on this computer and I would like not to format it. I read that there was a solution in the setup menu something about load optimized but couldn't find it. Without further information, I would appreciate the help. Thank you very much.
Regards.

1) You should backup the stuff you current have on your computer
2) If you hear the Windows startup sound and then it stops...
> Your sound must be working at startup (as you hear Windows startup sound)
> But something is stopping it
> I'd go check for malware See here for Virus/Malware Removal Instructions

3) You might also try Start->Run, enter: dxdiag and use the troubleshooter to see if it identifies any problems

If your computer restarted (crashed) then you may need to run Checkdisk

Start > Run > chkdsk /r > ok
When the DOS screen opens, press Y on your keyboard, then press the Enter key
You will likely need to Restart for your computer to check (and hopefully fix) any issues automatically
Upon restart do not press any keys, just wait for CheckDisk to complete, and possibly restart normally

Let us know if it worked

First off, thank you guys for your help. LookinAround, I tried to do the malware solution, but couldn't do it because for some reason (virus) won't let me install neither antivirus or anything related to remove malware/spyware. As a matter of fact, I tried installing 4 different antivirus and none of them worked on my computer. So, I did the dxdiag solution, but didn't find any problems, BUT I did something else..

Start > Run > Typed in: msinfo32 > Hit the + next to Components > Problem Devices

And it appears the following: Not Available ACPI\AWY0001\2&DABA3FF&0 The drivers for this device are not installed.

I really don't know if that means anything because I'm not a computer technician but there's some things that I do know/understand, but not the case on this one.

Now, kimsland, I tried that as well but, when immediately opens the DOS something starts verifying files (3 steps), and when its finished it will automatically close, I restarted system right afterwards but still got no sound on computer. Once again thank you.

Regards.

P.S. Since the first thing happened I thought and I'm still thinking that this is more then just missing sound on computer. As said before, I think it's a virus, or at least a trojan.

Now, kimsland, I tried that as well but, when immediately opens the DOS something starts verifying files (3 steps), and when its finished it will automatically close, I restarted system right afterwards but still got no sound on computer. Once again thank you.
That's strange, it shouldn't have even stated until next restart as some files (ie Windows files) were in use :confused:

You could try running MSConfig then select the "startup" tab and de-select everything starting with Windows
Then "Apply" and Restart normally
Then allow Windows to login under diagnostic mode, then test your system again.

Just as a small note, if you tried to install AVG, run the AVG Remover: http://www.avg.com/filedir/util/support/avgremover_en.exe
Then (after another Restart)
Try downloading free Avira Antivirus: (I use this one ;)) http://www.free-av.com/
Then update it, and run a full scan

Hi juanc

1) I think there's strong evidence of a malware infection. See here for Virus/Malware Removal Instructions and post in the Virus/Malware forum to have your logs reviewed. If the "no sound" problem persists after you're declared "malware free" post back here and we can follow up further

2) Also could you please check this
> Click Start->Run, enter services.msc
> Scroll to Windows Audio
> Tell me if StartupType=Automatic and Status= Started?
> I'm going to guess not (in which case, tell me what you see)

3) From what i can tell, the missing driver is unrelated to your sound problem. Once you're malware free you can also post back here and we can try to get that other driver resolved

/* edit */
And while you're looking at services.msc
> Scroll to System Restore
> Tell me if its StartupType=Automatic and Status= Started?

Once again thank you guys for your help. I tried the diagnostic mode, but it's the same thing, doesn't let me do anything. Also, let me say that it won't let me install any antivirus, spyware program, nor malware program so there's no way I can run a malware program or antivirus on my computer right now. I did the services.msc and both (Windows Audio and System Restore) are on Automatic and Started.

Regards.

Also, let me say that it won't let me install any antivirus, spyware program, nor malware program so there's no way I can run a malware program or antivirus on my computer right now.

Post in the Malware/Virus forum. The experts there will find a way. There are still
> Online scans
> Scanning from a boot disk
> Scanning from a bootable flash drive etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back