No sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoflCaek

Hi there, new here.

So, recently I reformatted my Dell Dimension 5150 desktop computer, I have managed to install most of the relevant drivers. However there seems to be an issue with audio playback.

For some reason I don't believe the audio drivers have been installed correctly or i have installed the incorrect ones.

I will post any further information regarding this topic if needed.

Thanks in advance.

Go to the Dell site, enter your service tag #, get the right drivers, uninstall the ones you think are 'bad', install the new ones, Bada Boom!

I am now having a new issue, I think I managed to install the correct drivers, yet when I restart the sound stops again.

Checks:

Check the motherboard bios to ensure sound is enabled.

Check Start, All Programs, Accessories, Entertainment, Volume Control to ensure no 'mute' box is ticked and volume sliders are at maximum.

Check Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager for any yellow alert markings.

Check Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services for the Windows Audio entry and ensure it isa set to automatic and is started.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Speaker Volume to ensure speakers volume is maximum and then check Advanced to ensure speaker setup is right.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Audio - make sure a default device is entered for Sound Playback and for Midi Music Playback.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Hardware - click on the cd/dvd and make sure it is enabled then look at properties - properties to make sure the cd/dvd isn't muted and the sound volume is at maximum.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Hardware - there should be an Audio Codecs entry and an entry for the Audio Controller.

The audio codecs can be further explored by clicking properties - properties. A number of codecs may be displayed. It may be useful to select the Microsoft codecs

one at a time and click properties and re-number them 1-5 such that they are the default codes. Make a note of the original sequence of priority so you can return to the original later if you want to.

The audio controller can be further explored by clicking properties. Make sure the device is enabled.

Checks:

Check the motherboard bios to ensure sound is enabled.

Check Start, All Programs, Accessories, Entertainment, Volume Control to ensure no 'mute' box is ticked and volume sliders are at maximum.

Check Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager for any yellow alert markings.

Check Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services for the Windows Audio entry and ensure it isa set to automatic and is started.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Speaker Volume to ensure speakers volume is maximum and then check Advanced to ensure speaker setup is right.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Audio - make sure a default device is entered for Sound Playback and for Midi Music Playback.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Hardware - click on the cd/dvd and make sure it is enabled then look at properties - properties to make sure the cd/dvd isn't muted and the sound volume is at maximum.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Hardware - there should be an Audio Codecs entry and an entry for the Audio Controller.

The audio codecs can be further explored by clicking properties - properties. A number of codecs may be displayed. It may be useful to select the Microsoft codecs

one at a time and click properties and re-number them 1-5 such that they are the default codes. Make a note of the original sequence of priority so you can return to the original later if you want to.

The audio controller can be further explored by clicking properties. Make sure the device is enabled.

Thanks for the detailed help, but still no luck. It's weird, I installed the drivers and now; when windows starts, it starts to play the welcome tune then cuts out. Any ideas?

When you look in Control Panel at Sounds and Audio Devices, click on the High Definition Audio device (let us know whatever it is) and look at your settings (let us know what they are).

26489198el6.png

I don't know if this is what you mean.

You have 2 sets of drivers - the Sigmatel and the Sound Blaster.

Run Everest and do a summary reoport:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Once you download it, click on it and let it install and then run it from the icon on your desktop.

Click on the + sign beside 'Computer', then on 'Summary', then go to the VERY Top of the screen and click on 'report'.

Note: the 'Very Top' isn't one line down, it means what it says.

Cursor over 'quick report-summary' and then click on 'plain text' and then click on 'save to file' and change the 'save in' folder to 'Desktop' and then click 'Save'.

Clear all your open windows and on the Desktop click on that 'report.txt' icon - this will open it in a text editor
(probably Notepad) and then use your mouse to highlight ALL the 'debug' entries and delete them, then use your mouse to hilight all the remaining text then copy and paste it to here.

For future reference: once you open Everest, click on file, preferences, report and uncheck the 'include debug information in the report' box. People rarely want to see that stuff.

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer DESKTOP
Generator Hughes
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2008-10-04
Time 21:21

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name DESKTOP
User Name Hughes

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz (16 x 200)
Motherboard Name Dell Dell DM051
Motherboard Chipset Intel Lakeport-G i945G
System Memory 1024 MB (DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (01/08/07)

Display:
Video Adapter ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series Secondary (256 MB)
Video Adapter ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series (256 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Radeon X600 (RV370)
Monitor Dell E193FP [19" LCD] (641805630VNS)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Creative EMU10K2 Audigy / Audigy 2 Audio Processor
Audio Adapter Intel 82801GB ICH7 - High Definition Audio Controller [A-1]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C0
Disk Drive Maxtor 7L250S0 (232 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive TEAC USB HS-SD Card USB Device
Disk Drive TEAC USB HS-MS Card USB Device
Disk Drive TEAC USB HS-xD/SM USB Device
Disk Drive TEAC USB HS-CF Card USB Device
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8164B
Optical Drive PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8701
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 235460 MB (211153 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network:
Network Adapter (ZD1211B)IEEE 802.11 b+g USB Adapter (192.168.1.2)
Network Adapter Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Modem Intel(R) 537EP V9x DF PCI Modem

Peripherals:
Printer hp deskjet 940c
Printer Send To OneNote 2007
USB1 Controller Intel 82801GB ICH7 - USB Universal Host Controller [A-1]
USB2 Controller Intel 82801GB ICH7 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [A-1]
USB Device (ZD1211B)IEEE 802.11 b+g USB Adapter
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device
USB Device USB Printing Support
USB Device WebCam Live! Effects

Please edit that and take out ALL the debug crap as I asked- thanks.

edit: you need to disable onboard sound in Bios then you should get sound fixed OK since your system does see the SB Audigy.

Please edit that and take out ALL the debug crap as I asked- thanks.

edit: you need to disable onboard sound in Bios then you should get sound fixed OK since your system does see the SB Audigy.

Nope. That doesn't work.

In Sounds and Audio, uninstall any high definition devices and reboot and let plug and play do its' thing.

And do another Everest.

So far itr seems to be working! Thanks a lot for your help! if it decides not to work again I'll post here.

Once again, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back