No Xbox 720 or PS4 this year, Sony will likely be the last to market

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

With Nintendo's next-generation console slated for launch later this year, the rumor mill is producing all sorts of "leaked" info about upcoming consoles by Microsoft and Sony. Although expectations are high for official unveilings in 2012, neither company will ship its new product in the coming months.

Cedrick Delmas, marketing director of Microsoft France, said it's still too early to tell whether a new Xbox will appear at E3, but there's no chance of one hitting shelves this year. "We're in an industry that talks a lot, that likes telling stories. I am not convinced that things will happen this year," Delmas said.

"The Xbox 360's cycle is not over at all. The proof is that we haven't price cut this year," he continued, adding that if Microsoft wanted to counter Nintendo, it would have to ship a console immediately and that simply isn't possible. Sony offered a similar, albeit vaguer reply when asked about its plans for E3.

"It's true that there are many rumors, but I couldn't tell you anything. The Wii is pressed for time because it's in decline...we're under a lot less pressure. We were the last to release the PS3, and we'll probably be the last to announce something," said PlayStation France CEO Philippe Cardone (translated).

If you subscribe to the grapevine, the Xbox 720 will feature an AMD 6000 series-based GPU with 2GB of VRAM -- possibly similar to the Radeon HD 6670 -- with support for DirectX 11, 3D and 1080p output. There's also talk of a hexa-core processor. Relatively few rumored details are available for the PS4.

Nintendo's Wii U is expected during the holidays and carries an IBM-based 45nm multi-core processor alongside a custom Radeon HD GPU with support for 1080p-out. The new controller stands as the most notable change, featuring a 6.2-inch 854x480 touchscreen along with standard buttons.

Permalink to story.

After the bitterly disappointing experience I've had being a PS3 owner, I can safely say I won't be shelling out for a PS4. Sony can feel free to be as vague as they want about their next console, because I have no interest in it.

If the Xbox 720 is fully backwards compatible then I will shell out for one, If not, i probably won't for a few years after its release and get it cheaper (and most probably more reliable model).

burty117 said:
If the Xbox 720 is fully backwards compatible then I will shell out for one, If not, i probably won't for a few years after its release and get it cheaper (and most probably more reliable model).

Exactly my thoughts I have a fair few xbox360 titles and many xbox live purchased items and wouldn't want to see this ditched to the grave just cause a new console is out.

i hope the rumored specs of the new xbox is fake, otherwise PC gaming will still be miles ahead graphically and technologically. Still atleast console ports should finally have (High-end PC spec level) graphics to a point,

I wouldn't hold my breath about full backwards compatibility. Just look at what a wonderful job they did with games from the original XBOX being played on the 360. Many of them have glitches and a lot of those glitches are things like the game freezing.

Let's hope MS does better this time around.

You would have though Sony has learnt it's lessons from releasing the PS3 way after the Wii and 360...

Why is Sony always late? Don't they see it hurts them? They were late with the PS3, with Blu-Ray players and discs and now they saying possibly over a year in advance that they gonna be late again. Way to act pro-actively, Sony.

Woah, you mad bro?

Wanna know why xbox is more popular (and it obviously is)?
-party chat
-personal info doesnt get stolen and service doesnt go down for months
-the console is just flat out cheaper
-more exclusives

PS3 isn't anywhere close to a bad console, but im not buying one. Party chat does it for me.

Xbox and Xbox 360 had different graphics card manufacturers (Nvidia then ATI) so they had to create patches for backwards compatibility. Both the 360 and 720 will have ATI so it could be alot less hassle.

There are a couple of reasons it is in Microsofts interest to make sure backwards compatibility works out of the box, namely all the owners who have shelled out for all the old DLC will see all the negatives if they can't use their old games and old DLC and maybe not buy the console until it drops in price.

Also all the new-to-xbox early adopters will see a massive back catalogue of games they can play, DLC they can download, games etc etc. Imagine a really good console that launches with more than 6 titles available for it - and some of those being completely awesome. Especially if it can be used as a set top box with all the latest video on demand apps and some form of increase in viewing quality for older games. Gears of War 1/2/3 at 1080p with improved graphics processing etc. Its all good. Really hope they keep the backwards compatibility in - it guarentees me buying one of these at launch for the premium.

To all the console kiddies: have fun waiting another year+ for 5 yr old tech while I upgrade my PC and play games the way they're meant to be played.

I have a PS3 and 360 which both collect dust. Played Uncharted 3 which was the only console game I've touched in 6 months and I can't lie... it is a great game, but the PC is still the king(no duke nukem).

burty117 said:

For me, its not just the games but that would need to include down to the controller level too. I have Rockband, Guitar Hero, DJ Hero stuff that I don't want to replace all these controllers with a new system.

9Nails said:
burty117 said:

For me, its not just the games but that would need to include down to the controller level too. I have Rockband, Guitar Hero, DJ Hero stuff that I don't want to replace all these controllers with a new system.
To both of you, that's the way it is on a console, they intentionally design them to shamelessly suck as much money of out people. If you want software and hardware backwards compatibility then just get a PC. I still play games from 1998 and 2000 on my PC that was built with parts made in 2010/2011 with an operating system from 2009.

Whoa whoa whoa, I agreed with everything you said until "-more exclusives" That's totally incorrect. The PS3 has
LittleBigPlanet
Uncharted
InFAMOUS
Ratchet and Clank
Resistance
The Last of Us
Metal Gear Solid 4
Gran Turismo
Modnation Racers
Motorstorm
Sly Cooper
God of War
Killzone

Most of those are franchises with more than one title.

The 360 has:
Halo
Gears of War
Forza Motorsport
Kinect games (not that anyone cares)

But it does have cross-game chat! The PS4 will definitely have that as well.

R3DP3NGUIN said:
i hope the rumored specs of the new xbox is fake, otherwise PC gaming will still be miles ahead graphically and technologically. Still atleast console ports should finally have (High-end PC spec level) graphics to a point,
haha i know right? they can make amazing laptops for gaming purposes which have a lot less room to work with inside for parts and ****. yet the consoles sony and microsoft make are penty big to put some top of the line hardware inside. id also like to add that microsoft needs to include internet explorer in the xbox 720 its pretty lame not having a web browser on your console. pc will always be on top so w/e

hello ...

I don't see any problem, except time ... to own each & every platform out there, so any haters gotta hate. i'm just playing my games ....

it's too early for any next gen, they need to wait i finish playing my 200+ games in less than 1 year before releasing 1 & i know others have 1000+ ... so no for new console, maybe next year OK :p

cheers!

Im not gona buy the xbox if i cant even play used games on it. No one should buy it, actually, so that they dont keep trying to pull **** like that. IF that rumor turns out to be true

Wanna know why xbox is more popular (and it obviously is)? Because it was built cheaper
-party chat - ok
-personal info doesnt get stolen and service doesnt go down for months - hackers and not sony...
-the console is just flat out cheaper - yeah with no HDMI shitty HDD and YLD
-more exclusives - Nope

Both PS3 and Xbox are now similar prices but the xbox doesnt have blue-ray.

Consoles have lost a lot of their glory for me. I do like my ps3 but is see's a lot less use than my computer. I used to use it for a media center stream video's from by computer, but it has such a lacking of supported formats and trying to transcode 1080p mkv file on the fly is a bit hard on my poor computer. So I built an HTPC.
Most of the games I want to play make it to the computer eventually (especially xbox titles), and the biggest reason I bought a ps3 was looking forward to good JRPG releases (like Final Fantasy, Star Ocean, & Shadow Hearts) but I have seen a large lacking of these - everything going to shooters & sub-par American RPG's with very few exceptions - none of the ones I want to play being ps3 exclusive. The JRPG's PS3 releases I have found just really are not holding my attention. (WTF happen to the FF series! New ones are terrible :( )
And then some of the games lock their data to one PS3, so all the time I spent at a friend house working on Boarderlands & Bayonetta before I got a TV that I could play a PS3 on effectively is wasted :(.

So I really don't find myself excited for the next gen on consoles. PS2 & PS3 I followed every scrap of news and counted down to launch day :p.

Back