Noctua at Computex 2014: Prototype coolers, active noise-cancelling and more

Scorpus

Staff member

I dropped by Noctua's booth at Computex 2014, where they had a range of prototype and upcoming coolers on show, as well as some very cool demonstrations of noise reduction technology.

Pretty much every product on Noctua's table hasn't been released yet, or is still in the prototype stage. A few of the products, such as the massive asymmetrical 150mm coolers, are designed to give maximum CPU cooling performance, while still giving room to the top PCIe slot on motherboards.

One of the main products Noctua's Jakob Dellinger highlighted to me was cube base perpendicular heatpipes, which are more effective at transferring heat than bent heatpipes that we usually see on CPU heatsinks. The cube base heatpipes are placed directly above the heat source, reducing heatspreader bottlenecks.

Noctua also had a few low profile coolers for small form factor PCs and HTPCs, one with a 92mm fan mounted on the top, and another with two 60mm fans for cases that might not have vents directly above the CPU.

But the most exciting product Noctua had on show at Computex is the world's first CPU cooler with active noise cancelation (ANC). The way this cooler works is very clever: the RoboSub fan contains a magnetic coil around the edge of the fan, with individual magnets in each of the fan blades. Electricity flows through the coil, which is used to vibrate the fan blades in such a way that anti-noise signals are created.

This means that, compared to a system which uses a speaker to create anti-noise signals, the noise reduction occurs at the source, so it's effective at basically any distance from the cooler. However due to the complexities of noise created from fans, it doesn't make the fan completely silent, instead it reduces frequency spikes creating a more pleasant sound that's less noticeable.

Noctua had a live demonstration of their active noise cancelation cooler at their booth: with ANC switched off, there were noticeable whirring noises created from vibrations; but when ANC was switch on the sound profile was smooth and dull, like air quietly flowing through the heatsink. Needless to say it was very impressive, but not quite ready for public release.

Another prototype product Noctua was showing off was a flocked surface fan. Essentially this fan is coated with a fibrous velvet-like material, which creates a turbulent boundary layer that reduces flow separation, while also dampening reflected noise. The end result is a fan that's 2 dB quieter when flow isn't impeded.

Unfortunately these fans aren't very useful when placed directly up against a heatsink or radiator, as airflow behind the fan is turbulent and somewhat noisy anyway. At this stage, Noctua isn't sure whether these flocked surface fans will hit the market.

Permalink to story.

It's about time they threw their hat into the ring as far as AIO's are concerned. As wonderful as their coolers are, thousands of people are switching to AIO's, they're losing out. They may eventually become a niche product.

Last edited:
It is about time that they did fans with fur on them. They should do cases fur on them as well.

It's about time they threw their hat into the ring as far as AIO's are concerned. As wonderful as their coolers are, thousands of people are switching to AIO's, they're losing out. They'll eventually become a niche product.

I must be blind, but I saw no mention of AIO's in the article. I agree, however, Noctua might be losing possible sales to those folks buying AIOs. I'm not one of them, nor will I be, as long as my temps are well and good using air. I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Law that states what CAN happen, WILL happen. Thus, water, not matter how well designed the container system, has no place inside my computers. BUT, if anyone can produce a watercooling system that's 99% worry free, Noctua can.

I wish I knew what AIO meant.

All these people keep using these tech savvy abbreviations, just so that they can look good, when they probably don't know what they are talking about really.

Noctua is more concerned about bringing out the best fans for AIO radiators than making AIOs themselves

"But the most exciting product Noctua had on show at Computex is the world's first CPU cooler with active noise cancelation (ANC). "

Last year at Computex Noctua showed the ANC. It wasn't quite ready then, either. They were also showing, according to the press kit "upcoming 80, 90 and 200mm A-series fans." That 200mm fan is really what I've been waiting for. I know Noctua's policy is not to release poor products, but if they have abandoned the 200m, I think they at least could have courtest to let consumers as much.

Last year at Computex Noctua showed the ANC. It wasn't quite ready then, either. They were also showing, according to the press kit "upcoming 80, 90 and 200mm A-series fans." That 200mm fan is really what I've been waiting for. I know Noctua's policy is not to release poor products, but if they have abandoned the 200m, I think they at least could have courtest to let consumers as much.

I saw the 200mm A-series fan and they told me it would be released in the next few months

Back