Noctua cooler owners can grab Alder Lake mounting kits for free once the CPUs launch

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: Intel's Alder Lake is on its way, and with it comes the switch from the current-gen LGA 1200 socket to LGA 1700. If you're one of the many people who own a Noctua cooler and intend to update your CPU, here's some good news: the company is giving away free-of-charge mounting upgrade kits for the hybrid processors.

Noctua says its new NM-i17xx-MP83 and NM-i17xx-MP78 SecuFirm2 mounting kits will allow its coolers with both 83 and 78mm mounting pitch to work with LGA 1700. The kits are said to offer straightforward installation and don't require any pre-assembly or adjustment.

The mounting kits come in standard chrome and all-black Chromax editions. They'll be available for free via Noctua's website once the Alder Lake CPUs and motherboards go on sale. Those who want to take advantage of the offer must provide proof of purchase for an eligible Noctua CPU and either an LGA 1700 CPU or LGA 1700 motherboard.

"Using a CPU cooler across several platform generations instead of buying a new heatsink for each generation is not only economical, it also helps to reduce unnecessary waste and save precious resources," said Noctua CEO Roland Mossig. "By upgrading rather than replacing your cooler, you're actively contributing to a more sustainable PC industry!"

Noctua is also in the process of updating its most recent coolers to include LGA 1700 mounting hardware—the new parts are already available with some models.

Unfortunately for NH-L9i series owners, there will be no upgrade kits due to "severe compatibility issues." Noctua will release revised versions this October.

Check out these recent Alder Lake leaked benchmarks that compare DDR5-4800 with DDR4-3200 memory when paired with one of the processors, likely a Core i9-12900 or i9-12900K.

Permalink to story.

The question is, will older CPU coolers really be up to the job of cooling Intel's new space heater.

.its probably not a coincidence that they're launching it in the depths of winter :)

Proud owner of a Noctua NHD-15S cooler here.

Had no doubt Noctua would have our backs, this is why I bought Noctua.

Yeah if you wait for ages. I ordered my free AM4 kit for my Noctua NHD15 in December when I bought my 5800X. After using a cheap cooler my brother leant me for a month I gave up waiting and ordered the mounting kit from overclockers UK for £12, it came with mounts for many other sockets, instructions, spare tools etc. Noctua did eventually deliver an AM4 mounting kit, it arrived in April in a dirty loose baggy in a Jiffy bag with no instructions and no spares.

Too bad the shipping is so slow (per Shadowboxer). That's pretty cool though, I did not know any cooler vendors shipped out free adapter plates so you can (if physically possible) mount your existing cooler onto a new rig.

Too bad the shipping is so slow (per Shadowboxer). That's pretty cool though, I did not know any cooler vendors shipped out free adapter plates so you can (if physically possible) mount your existing cooler onto a new rig.
A few companies did this over the years, Thermalright was one if not mistaken when LGA1366 came out, or LGA11XX shortly after.

If willing to wait this isn't a bad idea, however if buying a new PC it's sometimes nice to keep the old one together as a hand me down or as a backup/spare.

Proof of purchase is going to make this impractical, I wouldn’t want to buy, then order and wait for an adaptor, let us order ahead of time and it would work.

Happy to buy an adaptor though, very happy with Noctua.

Love my Chromax Black Noctua, great cooler for my 10800 ten core. Kudos to Noctua for providing an adapter for the next gen!

Back