Noctua's massive 3.3-pound fanless cooler goes into mass production

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Not everyone is a fan of passive coolers, but they offer advantages over their air and water counterparts—quietness and no breakable moving parts being the main ones. Now, a leading manufacturers of CPU coolers, Noctua, is finally about to start mass production of its massive, 1.5Kg (3.3 pound) passive cooler, a prototype of which we first saw last year.

Back at Computex 2019, Noctua, maker of the ever-popular NH-D15 Air Cooler, revealed an early model of its upcoming 'Fanless CPU Cooler.' This absolute beast features twelve 1.5mm aluminum fins, six copper heatpipes, and a copper heatsink. According to Noctua, it uses an asymmetric design for better PCIe clearance and is 100 percent RAM compatible on LGA115x and AM4 motherboards.

Image credit: Fanless Tech

The cooler was demonstrated on an Intel Core i9-9900K—an eight-core chip that can reach 5GHz and has a TDP of 95W. The CPU reportedly ran at 95 degrees throughout, despite the test taking place for several hours in the hot conditions of Computex's floor.

Noctua said the cooler targets 120W in a fanless case or 180W with a quiet case fan nearby. Buyers also get some NT-H2 thermal compound bundled in the box.

Fanless Tech reports that the Noctua Fanless CPU Cooler is about to begin mass production, with a final design that looks pretty much the same as the Computex prototype. Expect it to arrive next month or February, though the price remains unknown.

While 3.3 pounds is a hefty unit, there have been heavier passive CPU coolers, including Thermalright's 4.1-pound True Copper passive heatsink.

Permalink to story.

I still have my Noctua NH-D14 from 6 years ago, always keeps CPU under 70c under load and it's super quiet with its 2 140mm fans. My ISP's modem is louder than my CPU fan!

Legendary brand in the CPU cooling space.

Since it seems to perform so well without fans, I'm Interested to see how it would perform with fans. Would it be even better than a more traditional tower cooler?

"ran at 95 degrees throughout" is that Kelvin (bloody amazing cooling), Fahrenheit (still amazing) or Celsius (very concerning)?

I find it more concerning you have zero grasp of CPU coolers yet comment freely as if informed! 95 Kelvin is impossible, 95 Fahrenheit would be truly amazing but totally unrealistic and 95 Celsius is whats expected and bloody obvious, hence no reason to define as its assumed those reading this article have a brain and some knowledge of computing.

I find it more concerning you have zero grasp of CPU coolers yet comment freely as if informed! 95 Kelvin is impossible, 95 Fahrenheit would be truly amazing but totally unrealistic and 95 Celsius is whats expected and bloody obvious, hence no reason to define as its assumed those reading this article have a brain and some knowledge of computing.
Oh thank you for clearing that up for me, I was very worried they could have meant it was at a funny angle to the CPU!

While I can see the value of this for OEMs, I don't see the point of this for the DIY aftermarket. My R7-1700 and R5-3600X both came with Wraith Spire good stock coolers and I can also just latch one of my AM2/AM3 coolers onto an AM4 motherboard.
Since it seems to perform so well without fans, I'm Interested to see how it would perform with fans. Would it be even better than a more traditional tower cooler?
Probably not. Greg Salazar did a video asking that very same question and he found that a fan on a passive cooler doesn't really do much:
"ran at 95 degrees throughout" is that Kelvin (bloody amazing cooling), Fahrenheit (still amazing) or Celsius (very concerning)?
Hahahaha! Love it! :D (You were making a joke, right?)
How about you learn to use metric? Like 95% of the worlds population.
Well, if it were in metric... it'd be 95°K which is like -178°C. The tech world uses Celsius so I'm pretty sure that's what was used in this article. :D
LOL Thanks! That made it worth scrolling through the people just looking for a fight.
"If you think that you understand QuantumPhysics, then you don't understand QuantumPhysics!" - modded quote
Don't feel bad, not even QuantumPhysics understands QuantumPhysics. :D

Yes I was LOL
I think that I may have been the only one that got it. I don't know what alchemist83's problem is.
4rcdii.jpg

Back