Nokia announces Lumia 930 priced at $599

Shawn Knight

Staff member

nokia lumia smartphone flagship windows phone 8.1 lumia 930

Nokia showed up at Microsoft’s Build 2014 conference with a new flagship smartphone in tow, the Lumia 930. If you’re thinking this phone looks a bit familiar, you’d be right as it’s essentially the international version of the Lumia Icon.

Unveiled by former (and soon to be again) Microsoft employee Stephen Elop, the device features a 5-inch display operating at 1,920 x 1,080 pixels good for a pixel density of 441. It’s coated in a protective layer of Gorilla Glass 3 and features technology from Synaptics so you can use it while wearing gloves.

nokia lumia smartphone flagship windows phone 8.1 lumia 930

Inside is a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 SoC ticking along at 2.2GHz, 2GB of RAM, 32GB of flash memory and a 2420mAh battery good for up to 18 days of standby and 15.5 hours of talk time. Naturally, it'll be mated with Windows Phone 8.1.

Elsewhere is the same 20-megapixel camera from the Icon which is certainly no slouch. It features an f/2.4 Zeiss lens, optical image stabilization and dual LED flashes. A total of four microphones are used to capture audio when recording video in up to 1080p resolution at 30 frames per second.

The Lumia 930 will retail for $599 sans contract and will arrive with metallic edges and a colored back panel in your choice of black, white, green or orange. It’ll be available starting in June in Europe, Nokia said. Unfortunately the phone won’t be making the trip across the pond but that’s alright as those in the US already have access to the Lumia Icon and the Lumia 1520.

Permalink to story.

I don't understand Nokia with these exclusivity deals. Samsung didn't grow to dominate the smartphone market with 6 variants of the Galaxy S line and by leaving X number of carriers out in the cold.

Pretty good package, except for the glaring omission of an SD Card expansion slot (and perhaps no Xenon flash?).

No Thank You to be honest with you I don't like how Nokia make Lumia design. the phone look like a Box. and it look UGLY

JC713 said:
Wow that is some beast battery life. Looks like a nice phone.

It would have been nicer if this phone is running Android instead.

Why? Windows phone 8 is better optimised and can run loads better on lesser hardware. No thanks, you can keep your badly cobbled together clone of IOS, cause lets face it that's what Google based it on.
No Thank You to be honest with you I don't like how Nokia make Lumia design. the phone look like a Box. and it look UGLY
Umm, OK...
*Looks at IPhone, turns head, looks at Galaxy S5*
Yip, just as I thought, rectangle box shapes... So what's your point? (And, have you seen the S5, it looks hideous with that god-awful back plate?)

Guest said:
Guest said:
Why? Windows phone 8 is better optimised and can run loads better on lesser hardware. No thanks, you can keep your badly cobbled together clone of IOS, cause lets face it that's what Google based it on.

Optimization don't mean shít to me if Windows phone 8 can't run the apps I want.

I think its time for me to move away from android, and this phone looks like the perfect excuse to make the change...

Back