Nokia, Microsoft to announce Lumia 920 and 820 this week

Leeky

Nokia will unveil its next Windows Phone 8 flagship handset and a mid-range model at a joint press event with Microsoft on September 5, according to inside sources speaking to The Verge.

The Finnish phone maker’s new range-topping Lumia 920 will reportedly offer an impressive feature lineup, including wireless charging, a dual core 1.5GHz processor with 1GB RAM, 32GB onboard storage, and a 4.5-inch HD display all wrapped in the same Unibody style design as its predecessor. The phone will come in multiple colors similar to the current Lumia range, as depicted in leaked photos last week.

nokia lumia 32gb

Speaking of the wireless charging specifically, the sources say it will use the Qi wireless power standard and will therefore be compatible with other wireless charging products. The feature makes charging as simple as placing the handset on top of the charging surface (pictured below).

Previous rumors suggested the Lumia 920 might include the 42-megapixel camera found on the 808 PureView handset, but apparently that won't be the case. While it will receive the “PureView” branding, it will apparently use an 8-megapixel version, with improved stabilization and software. Above the display on the front will be a 1.3-megapixel front facing camera for video calling.

nokia lumia 32gb

Nokia is expected to share more details about the 4.3-inch touchscreen mid-range Lumia 820 during the special event on Wednesday, as well as revealing the full specifications of both devices. It’s unclear if we’ll just see the Lumia 820 and 920, or whether we’ll see more models announced come September 5.

Permalink to story.

To be fair, the previous WP7 handsets didn't need any more than a single-core SoC because the OS was very efficient. Simply put, any more would have been a waste and serves only to impress your mates down the local pub.

Having owned a Lumia 710 and 800 I can testify to that (both use the same SoC), and even side by side the experience is smoother and more consistent than the one I get from my Samsung Galaxy SIII running Android ICS. It doesn't crash, freeze or have funny turns either, unlike this quad-core SGS3.

I've said for a while that my idea of the perfect phone really would be the SGS3 handset running WP7. I'm therefore very much looking forward to seeing what Nokia brings to the table with WP8 and its Lumia 920.

Alright, whether you are an iOS fan or Android fan, you can't possibly deny that that red one looks absolutely gorgeous. I mean damn.

I was planning to upgrade to a Nokia WP8 device anyway, but the red one's design is the 820; the mid-range device. This has made it harder for me as I was planning to upgrade, of course, to the high-end model which is, still a beautiful device, but in my eyes not quite as beautiful as the 820.

Also, for those disappointed about the 8 MP camera, someone at Nokia said the following: "Megapixels isn't everything" which likely suggests that the updated PureView technology found in these might be on par--if not superior--to the one found on the Nokia 808, albeit without the DSLR-quality zoom, as expected due to the lack of the large sensor and lens.

Aye, I think a 8MP camera with the right optics would be more than enough for most people in all honesty. I tend to use my camera in my SGS3 all the time these days, in fact I've not picked up my dedicated camera (12.1MP) in so long the battery is dead. 8MP is more than enough for your everyday picture taking.

I do agree though, that the red is awesome. I'm also rather liking the bright yellow one! :D

@Leeky
In meantime, I've found another issue with SGS III, I.e. it just doesn't want to connect with available WiFi network at times, so I have to turn on/off WiFi several times before it start seeing the network ....... also unfortunately despite my search I've not found anyone doing a port of WP for SGS III (well if someone does it, it will still be illegal I think).

Okay now that out of the way, I am hoping that Lumia 920 will be competitively priced, as I am eagerly awaiting launch of ATIV S alongside this Nokia. One of these will be my next choice, by the way I've already found buyer for my SGS III ;)

I was looking at selling mine, but my girlfriends iPhone is rather beaten up, so she might have the SGS3 instead. Though I suspect she'll be wanting the next iPhone when that arrives to replace her current one. lol.

I doubt I'll have any issues selling my SGS3 in either case. I'll probably end up doing the same as you, although I really would like to give Nokia my money, but I'll only do it if its on par with the ATIV S or better. I really like the wireless charging aspect of the Lumia 920 as well, I think that's awesome. :)

I have an N8, which I bought for the camera. If the 920 can match the N8's image quality in low light and high contrast, then I'm in. Anyone know what the sensor size is going to be ?

I don't know... the plastic case, and the bright colors... get to me, and not in a good way. I just compared this to the HTC Droid DNA and the DNA is more solid. But, I need something on AT&T's 4GLTE. I am in the U.S. (Dallas) and need speed, most of all, for sending large graphics files.

Back