Nokia to cut 3,500 more jobs by the end of 2011

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Nokia has announced plans to cut 3,500 additional jobs in an effort to streamline production and prepare for their collaboration with Microsoft. These latest cuts are in addition to the 7,000 jobs that were slashed earlier this year.

The Finnish company will shut down a manufacturing plant in Romania by the end of the year and move production to more efficient factories in China and South Korea to eliminate 2,200 employees. These factories are said to be closer to key suppliers and target markets.

An additional 1,300 workers will be released from commerce and location businesses in Malvern, Pa and Bonn, Germany. Nokia plans to focus development efforts in Berlin, Boston, Chicago and other areas, says CNN Money.

“We are seeing solid progress against our strategy, and with these planned changes we will emerge as a more dynamic, nimble and efficient challenger,” Nokia CEO Stephen Elop said. “We must take painful, yet necessary, steps to align our work force and operations with our path forward.”

Additionally, Nokia will evaluate the long-term role of manufacturing plants in Finland, Hungary and Mexico. The collective changes are expected to save the company $1.36 billion by 2013. 

Nokia’s partnership with Microsoft was announced early this year. The move left Intel out in the cold as Nokia was working with them on MeeGo. Intel has since locked arms with Samsung in a new venture tentatively called Tizen which is expected to debut sometime next year.

Nokia will adopt Windows Phone OS as their primary smartphone platform, pushing Symbian aside as a franchise platform OS. New phones from Nokia featuring Windows Phone operating system are expected later this year.

Permalink to story.

That makes perfect sense. They're going to be working with one of the wealthiest corporations on the planet -- so they just absolutely MUST slash 3,500 jobs! It's a must-must!!! I mean, hey -- you know, money doesn't grow on trees.

Bill Gates is reading this, thinking... "wait a second -- it DOESN'T?! Damn -- I missed a real opportunity!!! I could have been developing money-making trees....!!!"

(I have NO idea what made me think of that last strange and frankly out-of-left-field comment. I need some more coffee... or maybe less!!!)

Guest said:
Bill Gates doesn't work for Microsoft anymore...

Wow! Rilly?! Like, wow...

So, what you're trying to say is that my joke makes no sense to you? Rilly? Because in my warped and diseased mind, I could have SWORN that I didn't say anything about Bill Gates still working for Microsoft. Maybe I know my history. Maybe I knew that Bill Gates USED to work for Microsoft -- or rather, that Microsoft worked for Bill Gates. Maybe I even know that Bill and Melinda decided to set up a foundation to help kids who are suffering from Malaria in Africa. But none of that matters, because oh yeah -- YOU GOT ME!!! Pow -- RIGHT IN THE KISSER!!! YOU REALLY just nailed it with THAT one...

(Rolling eyes, yawning, scratching my three-day-old beard, thinking about how much longer do I HAVE TO PUT UP WITH TWELVE-YEAR OLDS who CAN'T EVEN SHAVE before they FINALLY stop bothering me...)

But anyway. I digress. Your point was...?!

Back