Norway is the latest country to consider banning the sale of gas-powered vehicles by 2025

midian182

Staff member

Europe is leading the charge when it comes to the adoption of zero-emission vehicles. It was reported in April that the Netherlands is looking to ban the sale of all gas and diesel powered cars by 2025, and now Norway is attempting to do the same thing.

According to a report from Norwegian paper Dagens Naeringsliv, the country’s four main political parties – Conservative, Progress, Christian, and Liberal – have agreed to a number of environmental measures that include requiring all cars sold from 2025 to be of the zero-emission variety.

It shouldn't come as too much of a surprise to learn that Tesla boss Elon Musk was particularly happy to hear the news. The CEO tweeted a picture of Dagens Naeringsliv's front page, which features the ban as its main story.

Despite Musk’s enthusiasm, the policy is still only at the proposal stage. If it is adopted, “all new private cars, buses and light commercial vehicles” will be zero-emission from 2025. The sale of gas-powered and diesel-powered heavy transport will be phased out over a longer period.

The chances of the proposal becoming law is quite high, as Norway is already introducing a series of environmentally-friendly policies. Its capital city, Oslo, will ban all privately-owned cars from its roads by 2019, the exceptions being those carrying disabled passengers and vehicles transporting goods to stores.

24 percent of all new cars sold in the Scandanavian country are electric, giving Norway the highest EV market penetration per capita in the world. For comparison, just 0.66 percent of new cars in the US are electric.

Another nation looking to move entirely to zero-emission vehicles is India. The country's power minister has announced plans for all cars in the country to be electric by 2030.

Permalink to story.

That's sucking the fun out of life, decided by the same people who raise taxes. They are the fun bunch.

Communistic fits.

Wow, this comment thread went off a cliff quick.

Aaaaaaaand...it's gone.

Along with my news and links about Norway having it's main exports be oil, and how that oil money is used to pay for social programs for the country - so much so, that many of them don't even work.

I hope we're not erasing comments about two-faced environmental governments now...
What is this a college campus?

Along with my news and links about Norway having it's main exports be oil, and how that oil money is used to pay for social programs for the country - so much so, that many of them don't even work.

I hope we're not erasing comments about two-faced environmental governments now...
What is this a college campus?

Could be. Try a repost without reference to the secret subject and see if it sticks.

If anywhere in the world is actually makes sense in Norway. The country makes almost 100% of its electricity from hydro.

It's all about economics, Netherlands imports all oil, Norway's North Sea oil is declining, India imports all its oil, oil reserves all next to nothing compared to demand, Norway has a carbon tax so all of this is a large motivation to find a new way to keep things going. It's costs, profits and security (where would the country be if the oil tap was turned off leaving us none to import) Nothing Green happening here, now move along folks......

Could be. Try a repost without reference to the secret subject and see if it sticks.

I got a message about it... my post was deleted because I had quoted the person responsible for getting the whole thread removed. Any replies to him were removed as well.. It was like he never existed...*spooky* :)

"Zero emissions" what a crock of ****. What about the increased pollution during the production of the batteries? The metals and plastics, carpets, all the computers and other stuff inside the car is manufactured, and that's not zero emissions. Then, these cars are plugged into the grid. Taking power from the mains. The power companies burn more coal / fossil fuels to keep up with demand polluting the air, or use more nuclear material and create more nuclear waste, which will be around for millions of years. Electric vehicles are NOT EVEN CLOSE to zero emissions and anyone that would argue otherwise is an *****.

That's about 20-30 years from being feasible in the usa. We need significant improvement in battery/charging technology first. It would take you about a month you drive from one side of the usa to the other in a battery powered vehicle. Electric motors can output some serious power/torque/speed but not for very long with today's battery technology unfortunately. I'll drive an electric vehicle when they make one that can do what my tuned 6.7 powerstroke can do towing, performance and distance on a charge and fully charge or swap batteries in 10 minutes. Spending 8+ hours plugged in every 50-80 miles doesn't sound very appealing to me, probably half that range if you use the heat or ac, ha! No, I'll keep my diesel for a while thanks.

Back