Not able to open websites

Status
Not open for further replies.
We bought my son a new Sony laptop. We then got him a wireless card from Verizon. When he is at a friends house that has wireless he can access the web with no problem. But when he is at home using the verizon card he cannot. The card says he has internet connection but he cannot open web pages. When he tries to open messenger it say "invalid IP address". But when looking at the properties it list an IP address and it is not a 169. address. Does anyone have any suggestions about what to do next short of giving up and returning the card. We took it to Best Buy and all they did was check to see if it was connected and that the computer was working and guess what... it was connected and the computer is working properly. I don't know what else to do, is there something in the settings that needs to change. HELP! OH if it helps it is running Vista.

I guess no one has an answer for me. I think we are going to try and return the card and get out of the contract if we can. Looks like it is just no going to work in the place where he is going to school. He will have to use the schools.

Hello there,

Have you tried releasing the IP address and then renewing it?

If it says invalid IP at some point then there's a connection conflict somewhere or the card still has the IP from where it previously connected to the Internet.

Open a command prompt and type the following:
ipconfig /release
then
ipconfig /renew

Also, is wireless working OK for other PCs in the house?

Make sure IP configuration is not set to static on the laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back