Not able to update AVG

Status
Not open for further replies.

dam

Hi BD, your suggestions were really good. I was facing a few problems with Heur myself for some days. It wasn't allowing both windows and McAfee to update. My programs were crashing and the high point was when my laptop told me that my Vista (32-bit Home Premium;came with my system) was not licensed and that Microsoft could not give me any more updates. I was initially concerned when McAfee kept telling me that it could not update its virus definitions.

Finally,I uninstalled McAfee, ran AVG today. AVG detected Win32 Heur and the infected system file and its related reg file are now in the vault, set to auto delete in 2 days. Once i restarted my system, everything seems to be in order except for the fact that windows still cant seem to update either Defender or the usual Vista updates.

Just for the record, I have my Windows Firewall up and when I did have McAfee, I had its firewall up as well. Now,with AVG's free version downloaded from the website, i just have the Windows Firewall. Unfortunately, I am not able to update AVG as well. I just dont feel like I have done everything but repeated system scans by AVG say that there are no more infected files. What more can I do??

You are advised strongly to un-install AVG
If it does not un-install normally, use the removal tool:
AVG Remover Tool
Here is the 32Bit version (most users): http://www.avg.com/filedir/util/avg_arm_sup_____.dir/avgremover.exe
Here is the 64Bit version: http://www.avg.com/filedir/util/avg_arv_sup_____.dir/avgremoverx64.exe

Then have a look at:

UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

Special case where after installing MBAM and SAS they will not update or run
Read here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=689452

I see you decided to stay with AVG, so be it, many users do like the extra protection it provides
Regarding doing the 8-Step guide regularly, I would suggest CCleaner, and Malwarebytes as the two most important (other than keeping AntiVirus running of course)

Actually this may sound a little double handling (but certainly worth it)
Can you please Startup Malwarebytes, then update it (3rd tab along)
Then run yet another full scan
This is because many Malwares that were previously hidden by other Malware infections, will be removed. Just wait and see :rolleyes:

Please supply the new log once completed
Oh and thanks for the attach idea, I do that as well :)

Yes I agree because of the quantity and high quality (meaning very bad) found issues.

I would also do SAS as it reported it cleaned a very bad entry (DNSChanger ).

Need to see clean logs on both programs and HJT log last after the above are run.

Mike

Thanks,I ran mbam and then HJT...I am attaching the logs to this reply.

Surprisingly, as you both said, mbam did detect quite a few malwares (trojans as well). Now, the laptop was feeling a bit sluggish after the the first clean runs last night. after this second set of runs, it seems faster. but i have lost a lot of space on my c-drive which has all the prog files and i am dangerously close to vista warning me bout it. btw,just for the record, i am using google chrome as my browser. thats one of the new things ive changed.

@kimsland, the only reason i have not uninstalled AVG yet is because i am scared. i have a fully licensed version of McAfee (and thanks to the cleaning,it is now updated) and i would love to go back to it. the problem is that the win32 heur infected files avg detected last night are in the avg virus vault and i am scared that if'n when i remove avg,the virus is again "out of the cage". i have set avg to safely delete it in 2days (starting from last night). once i see that avg has deleted, i would bid farewell to avg as well.

also,interestingly,mcafee's computer scan detects no infected file at all. i know its bonkers to have 2 anti-virus software running simultaneously, but i have disabled avg from doing anything and effectively,i presume,mcafee is the only working anti-virus software now.

my mp3/music files seem to have been corrupted.i am guessing thats the handiwork of the heur virus. suddent volume modulations are rampant in some files.

View attachment 38609

View attachment 38610

Hi Dam

Do this next, do not try to uninstall or install anything yet. Nor try to fix errors with your music.

We will guide you thu that when you are clean. We will handle the Space problem also.

The last MBAM log shows many found and removed on boot, did you reboot if not do so now.

Since many things were found and bad ones at that. We must see a clean MBAM log.

Also if you were doing the 8 Steps you would have a SuperSpyware log.

So do it this way.

Reboot
Run another MBAM (first before the below). Attach log

Do the TechSpot 8 Step procedure

You have already done MBAM so do all the rest. Then attach log.

Mike

i know its bonkers to have 2 anti-virus software running simultaneously, but i have disabled avg from doing anything and effectively,i presume,mcafee is the only working anti-virus software now.
You cannot have two Antivirus programs running at the same time (I note that AVG is disabled)

Here's the issue:
One Antivirus locates a Virus and then decides to delete or quarantine the virus
The other Antivirus sees a Virus being moved to some strange folder (quarantine) Stops the move, then tries to quarantine it, in its quarantine folder
This circle continues forever, and the Virus never moves, and continues to infect

Here's your idea:
AVG is disabled as quarantine objects remain
The quarantine folder is just a normal everyday folder (ie like New Folder)
When AVG is active the quarantine folder is protected, nothing can be moved out
When AVG is non-active the quarantine folder will be scanned by the other Antivirus
Which will find and try to remove the Virus, from this strange folder
AVG (non active) will corrupt, as the quarantine folder is broken into and modified
AVG will then require re-install, to remove it, with the quarantine folder

OK, I think that's clear, so what to do?

If you uninstall AVG, it will also remove the quarantine folder.
All Antivirus programs have this safe guard for your protection
Therefore fully uninstall AVG, thus the Virus residing in the quarantine folder will also be removed

Have I made myself clear?

I ran the 8-step cycle again. There is something very weird happening with my Malware scans. neither my antivirus nor SAS give me any indication about anything. This is what happens with my Malware scans. Each of the scans run for about 2hrs and 30mins. All thru the scan, it says no infected file or nothing is found;but as soon as it ends the scan,it suddenly says 57 infected files found and then i go ahead an delete them and i reboot my computer to finish the deleting process. and this is the exact same thing that happens EVERY time.i dont think that is reflected in the log file but this has been my observation.

another weird thing is this. i popped in my flash drive. (this turned out to be the likely source of this mess though). as soon as i popped it in,mcafee reported a trojan and cleaned it. i ran malware on the flash drive;just on that removable drive. and even then,after the scan,it showed the exact same 57 infected files as the 2.5hr-whole-computer scans. i have attached the log files of this also. weirdly,the infected files detected were located on my hard drive and not on the flash drive.

is it possible that malware itself has been compromised??

i am attaching an SAS log file, 2 mbam logs (which look exactly same when compared) and an mbam log of my flash drive scan.i am not sure whether i need to run a HJT.also,i observed that the home button on my google chrome browser is suddenly missing.so is the virus still active?

just for the record,i have uninstalled avg and asked it to delete the quarantine folder also.

thanks for the help.

View attachment 38654

View attachment 38651

View attachment 38652

View attachment 38653

OK you are now apparently running without a Virus scanner at the worst time.

Get this and run it with the Flash drive in on the working computer. http://experi3nc3.wordpress.com/2007/05/10/flash-disinfector-by-subs/

Then

Get the below on to the problem computer.

Click >Go here Read this and try to get the attachment the malware may prevent it even now!

On this board Executable (.EXE ) can not be attached so download the Fixit.zip Rt Click it get Properties and in the name box change from Fixit.zip to Fixit.exe.

Then execute it, if it does work and do its job it will reboot you back to Normal Mode that is OK but do nothing else but riu Fixit once more from normal mode and after it reboots again post all logs created on Desktop and the BFU.log inside the Fixs folder.

As soon as you get back to desktop run MBAM Update it and click Settings and confirm all are checked! Then scan once and if found items the Scan again an this time it should come up clean or with different things, if different things then run again until clean. Post a log for every run as you do them.

As soon as MBAM is clean go back to the 8 Steps and get a Virus scanner update it and run a full scan. Post log!

Mike

Hi myflynn,

i just had a few doubts. firstly, i do have an anti-virus-mcafee is updated and running fine. secondly, on the other discussion board, you start off by saying that the steps have to be done when mbam and SAS are not running/updating. that is not the case with me. my mbam and sas are running and updating properly. the only problem is that mbam acts weird and suddenly shows up 57 infected files at the end of every scan.

i am a little confused, i dont mean to offend you.

thanks.

OK I understand but the Attachment is for that issue and also for other things, things you need it to do!

Because MBAM and SAS is acting weird!

Good news on the Mcafee (well at least) you have some kind of Virus scanner.

Try the below first if it won't work now do it after the attachment/Fixit.

D/L Xclean_Micro http://www.xblock.com/download/xclean_micro.exe
No install, just run it delete all it finds decline to reboot on each item found, until the program finishes then reboot.

Xclean will run minimized and will pop up a window if it finds anything. If it finds nothing it will exit.

Please make a note of what it found if any as this might indicate a deeper Malware diag.

So proceed with Fixit!

Mike

Hi,
I think i am posting this in the wrong thread,but i am kind of in a desperate situation right now...oflate,my C: drive has been reduced to a lot less free space than vista wants...presently,i have 100mb free in C:. i know this is very very less and i am doing everything to save the last chunks...deleting browser history regularly and running CCleaner to squeeze out the last bits of free space...

i have a 110gb HD on my Sony Vaio N365E laptop...the HD has 2 partitions-C:(100mb free) and D: (37gb free). i had allocated 20gb to C: and 90gb to D:. now,i want D: to help C: by giving it some of its own free space...i dabbled with the option of using vista's disk mgmt tool...i shrank the D: volume, though it only coughed up 163mb! even this,i could not merge into C:. at this point 163mb goes a long way in helping C:. since that did not work,i put the 163mb back into D: and now am back to square 1.

i found out that since the unallocated new 163mb partition was 2 drives to the right of C:,i wasnt able to merge it...partition magic didnt work...acronis software cannot be installed coz i dont have enough space on C:. what do i do? i have backed up data on D: onto my 1tb external hard drive. pls help...i want a temp solution until a holiday break when i can format my HD...pls pls help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back