Not blue screen of death, but black

NaughtyZoot

I'm getting similar crash but not BLUE screen of death but BLACK, BSOD. Happens randomly and cannot see any minidump files in C:\Windows\Minidump folder. I've unplugged my iPhone USB cord and another USB thumb drive but still get crash. It sometimes occurs in World of Warcraft game I play or sometimes just browsing web or just from boot up after Windows login. The only solution that has helped but not eliminated crashes is underclocking GPU using RivaTuner program. I need to hold down power button to power off and then press again to reboot EACH time it crashes. Not sure what to do since I cannot see any minidump info to post errors occurring. Please HELP!!

1. Have you updated your video card drivers?
2. What are the system temps of your system? Are your fans running especially on your video card?
3. Your symptoms make me suspicious that the issue with your RAM.

1. NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS video drivers are at version 8.17.0012.9610 = 296.10 which is stable from posts I've read on this issue.
2. Temps are 62celsius, not sure if that is too hot since I use Fahrenheit.
3. Is it worth just buying a new matched pair of RAM? or shutdown --> eject then re-install RAM?

Is there any error logs you need? Not sure if the system is tracking these Black Screen Of Death crashes since I set it to log minidumps but found none in folder. System works fine when unplugged and on battery only but battery only lasts about hour or so with current screen brightness.

Thank You for the help with this issue :)

I found one minidump file but I cannot upload (no permission popup window in Windows??). File is called Mini110312-01.dmp.

btw, I like your tag line"I'd rather be trout fishing on a Pennsylvania stream." I live in Pittsburgh, PA area & I ♥ fishing.

62c = 143.6f What is your video card's maximum temperature parameter?

What OS are you running?

Here in South Jersey we have no trout streams :(

OS = Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.120824-0336)

Not sure what video card max temp parameter is. How could I find that out? Video card = NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS

Should I remove memory and re-install just in case? I'm thinking of just upgrading to 8GB kit (4GB x 2) from Crucial.com. Only $38 which is good price and I've bought from them several times before so I know it is quality memory modules.

Could this be a power supply issue? A short or bad soldering job on video card heat sink (which I've read from other posts)??

I have cleaned the dust from under the laptop near fans and such. I have taken out the memory and re-installed. Still get Black Screen crashes.

It is sometimes stable using a application called RivaTuner where I can modify the nVidia GPU Core Clock to just under 400, Memory Clock to just under 300 and the Shader Clock to just under 800.

Any further suggestions?

No, I checked C:\Windows\Minidump but nothing. There were some in there a few days ago but now nothing?? I did not delete them. Very Strange. The laptop works fine not plugged in and battery power only but charge only lasts little over hour. I've read from other forum posts that I need to Undervolt the CPU to match the levels when battery only is running. I think it is 0.9 volts and AC plugged in is 1.2 volts. I can do this with RightMark CPU Clock Utility but it does not work for 64-bit Windows Vista. They mention a workaround but I've received no reply from email request.

Suggestions about Undervolting CPU?

I read the link your provided. Working so far with the correct Vista 64bit file for RM Clock. Now I need to Orthos stress test with different lower voltages but working at 1.15 max volts for max multiplier 8x. Hopefully I find a stable voltage. Thanks for the link.

Back