Not responding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan_123

alright, i have a only pci slots in my comp, so i bought a pci vid card....
(pci radeon 9200 128 mb) and once i put it in and turned on my comp, it turns black, with a blue box in the middle of the screen that says not responding or something like that....so if any of u know how to make it show up, i would appreciate it if u told me =D

Does your motherboard have an onboard-VPU that you were previously using? If so, you might have to disable it in the BIOS or via a jumper on the motherboard.

If your motherboard doesn't have an onboard-VPU, try installing it in another PCI slot and/or clearing your CMOS with the card installed.

k, wats an onboard-VPU, and i dont know how to get to the BIOS thing, cuz once i turn my comp on, the screen is black...so confusing, haha

An onboard-VPU would be a VPU that is build into the motherboard. Before buying the 9200, I assume you had video display on your monitor, where did this come from? Where did you plug your monitor in before having the 9200 and were you able to remove that device?

Yep, I'm aware you can't see the monitor, but if your motherboard has a VPU integrated which you were using previously, then you can take the 9200 out, and use the integrated VPU to alter the BIOS settings.

k, well i didnt have a vid. card till now, wat the cord was plugged into was just the actual computer, which has like video display in the motherboard, like built in to it

and so wat i do is just like this without the vid card, go to the BIOS and change it, and if so, wat do i change it to?

then after that, wat happens to the monitor after i change the BIOS, and what i do next? :D

and sry for 20 questions, haha, but im horrible at these kinds of things :p

Yep, like I assumed you have an integrated VPU...

I don't know your BIOS settings off-hand, naturally. If you give me a motherboard model that I can look up to get a manual I will gladly look at that for you. Otherwise, just look around until you see something that gives you the option to use your PCI Video Card as your primary display adapter.

When you first press the power button on your machine, you ought to see an option flash in front of you saying something along the lines of: Setup... (or Enter Setup...). It's likely either F1, F2 or the Delete key to enter the BIOS. Just tap all of those repeatedly shortly after you press the power button to your machine and you ought to make it in.

k, i will probably do all this like on monday morning or something, cuz im kind of busy with other stuff this weekend, but once i get there, i press F2, then bios or will come up, then....

well like u were saying, about a motherboard model, where would i find that? so u can help me better, is it microsoft xp, home edition version 2002 service pack 2

Well, when you try it Monday post back with your results. After you get to the BIOS you do as I said in two earlier posts. Look for an option to disable your onboard-video card and/or set your PCI video card as the default or primary display adapter.

The BIOS may tell you what motherboard you are using.

Providing more information for someone that is trying to help you is always great, thank you :). Sadly, knowing your OS is virtually useless in this situation.

I assume you have a store-bought PC. What is the brand and model number of your PC?

Look everywhere you can on your PC. It should have a brand as well as a model. For instance, a "Dell Dimension 3000".

Okay so get into the BIOS and then enter "Integrated Devices (Legacy Select Options)". You'll see the option to change your "Primary Video Controller", set it to PCI, save and exit. Turn the PC off, put your 9200 in and try to boot again.

k, then after i do that, and but it up, i remember goin into safe mode for intalling a vid. card before, then i went to like my computer, and changed something in the vid. display thing

and i have no cd for it, so i need to go to ATI website, and intall it from there while in safe mode i guess?

If you get a video signal from the card now, you'll need to install it's drivers. What operating system do you run?

For instance, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista. Pick yours and post back, I'll get you a download link for your drivers.

do i download that driver now then?

or after i get the bios done, and then while the vid. card is in it?

alright, thx, im goin to do it now then, ttyl

ill get back to u hopefully today if it works or not :D

k, well it came up alright, then when i was like in safe mode, it wouldnt find then internet, then i went to that thing under my computer, which is called add a hardware, that i was talking about, and would let me download it with out a cd, or something saved under a file?

maybe i need a cd for the vid card for it to work, idk, but i guess ill buy one, ill check on ebay :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back