Nothing but problems with Lenovo n100 3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the 0768-a49 model which came with vista business. I downgraded to XP pro sp2 ever since then i've been having alot of problems. I even try going back to vista, but didn't help, so i just kept it at xp........1-finger print reader doesn't work. installed driver, installed software,nothing. 2-same thing with bluetooth. the wifi and bluetooth switch is the same. wifi works, bluetooth doesn't come on at all. 3-usb connect disconnect when i press any button on the keyboard-tried different bios like stated in the other thread, but didnt work. 4-sound works,but when i plug a headphone i get sound on from both headphones and laptop speakers. Can someone help me solve these problems, especially the usb. I been using alot of flash cards and i can't connect them to transfer files.....

You should go to the Lenovo Driver Matrix, to download and install all drivers listed, using the text explanations exactly.
When done properly, your Lenovo 0768-A49 will work just fine.
As a shortcut, you can install the Systems update 3.14 by your model:
· H100
· J100
· J105
· J110
· J115
· J200
· J200p
· J205
· K100
· Q100
· S200
· S205
. C200
· N100
· N200
· V100
· V200
· Y100
Or you can connect to the Lenovo site and let their system tell you what you need and install it for you.
Basically, you need the Chipset most importantly, being sure your BIOS is up to date.
The Matrix will show you exactly what you need... it can be as many as 35 download installs, depending on your exact model.
Or you can buy the Lenovo WXP Professional disk set by telephone for less than $50 including shipping.

would the driver be the problem. its seems like a problem with the bios. when i turn off my computer, i can plug up a usb and it still works.

Sounds like driver - install issues. It could be a BIOS issue, but IBM Lenovo BIOS is rock solid... only seen three bad ones in 21 years of repairing Thinkpads and Lenovo notebooks. If you suspect the BIOS, update your BIOS, while looking for errors.
Everything your reported is typical of not having the drivers, chipsets, and other available software installed properly... Follow the descriptions exactly, despite how obtuse those instructions seem to be.
Of course the Lenovo 3000 notebook is a much lower end computer than Lenovo normally sells... a different system entirely... Still, the ones we work on have been fine. But this may be a reason they are no longer marketed.
We do contract repairs for insurance companies, contruction companies, colleges, government agencies, and we specialize in IBM Lenovo.

well i tried to update to the 3.12 bios on lenovo site. extracted it, ran adromldr.exe which opened winphlash and the recommended bios which was in the realtek folder. right before it was done flashing, the blue screen of death came up, and it just restarted, so it didn't work. any sugestions? all drivers are installed. I do use system update 3.14, so all the drivers should be upto date.

HardDrive or memory module. If it isn't memory, it is the Hitachi hard drive.
Otherwise, I would send it back to Lenovo's EZ Serve for a fix... the failure to load the System Update is a bad sign.
But you might try one memory module at a time, or different memory modules.
Since there are 46 models of the 3000 series, it is difficult to get too technical.

raybay said:
HardDrive or memory module. If it isn't memory, it is the Hitachi hard drive.
Otherwise, I would send it back to Lenovo's EZ Serve for a fix... the failure to load the System Update is a bad sign.
But you might try one memory module at a time, or different memory modules.
Since there are 46 models of the 3000 series, it is difficult to get too technical.
both are working fine though..can you please explain.

Raybay,

Seems you ahve quite a bit of experience with the Lenovo 3000. I was wondering if you could help me.

I have been trying to up date the Bios but it will not take for some reason.

It is a 3000 N100 0768 A49 wtih business Vista.

When I check the bios version it gives me "63ET62WW V1.08" . This is after I have downloaded the updated Bios and installed it. However, I did notice that the computer did not automatically restart as indicated in the directions.

Also.......Do you know how to shut off the password on the windows startup?

Could that be a problem with the update?

Thank you
Cbat

BIOS Update - Thinkpad 3000

The Thinkpad 3000 was one of Lenovo's first projects without the assistance of the IBM team.
First, do you NEED to update the bios, or are you just keeping things tidy?

I will need your "Type Number" from the bottom of the Thinkpad before I can respond further.
For most, you need to change the motherboard password to nul or no password, and that is risky on the 3000.

Tell me if it has a hard drive password.

I will try to help further when I have your type number and configuration... and whether Windows XPP was installed from an IBMK/Lenovo disk set.

Ray

Never mind, I just noticed you did give the type number, and that you have VISTA... More later.

The main thing you need to do is remove the password. I hope you know the password, as you will need that. Go to the Lenovo Thinkpad site and download the Lenovo N100 and N200 Hardware Maintenance Manual. The instructions are found at
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/42x3553_03.pdf
on page 20, 21, etc. of the hardware manual.
If you do not know the password, there is no way to help. The system board must be replaced.
Otherwise, once you have removed the password using the exact instructions on the Lenovo manual, then you should have no major problem... if you do, upgrade the BIOS a step at a time, staring with 3.01 63ET59WW, 3.02 63ET60WW, 3.10 63ET61WW, 3.11 63ET62WW and finally 3.12 61ET37WW.
It is very handy to download the Lenovo N100 Hardware Maintenance Manual and print it out. You will need FireFix or Adobe Reader 9.1.1 free downloads to read and print the manual once it has been downloaded. It is well over 100 pages so you will have some printing costs here.
It IS very important to upgrade the BIOS to at least 3.10 because there are significant problems that are fixed with the upgrade, particularly the problems with the Broadcom WLan card...
You may also find it necessary to remove the Fingerprint Reader if you have that installed, before you can install the new BIOS. Instructions are available in the manual and on line.

Good Luck. Let us know what happened. If you have difficulties, please get back to us.

Thank you for the help.

I did not realize that the Bios updates had to be done in order.

Now the Bios is 63et62www Version 1.08

The 3.12 update says that it is for XP and I am running Vista Business Preloaded so I am assuming it will not update to that or will cause damage.

The only problems that are occuring now are;
the battery will not charge and is not recognized by the power management system (it is a new battery).

When running the system updates it will give me an error at 10 percent. Error Gathering Information.

The finger print reader has been uninstalled.

Any ideas of what I should do next?

Thank you
Cbat

I appologize for not being very clear in my posting. All of those BIOSes do not need to be installed.
They do NOT have to be installed in order... but if the latest one will not install, go back to the next most recent... as your Thinkpad needs one critical update which all those listed do have... so if one duesn't install after you turn off the password, go back to the next one, such as 3.10 or 3.11.

The BIOS Updates are not for the operating system, but may allow something in XP work better... There are a large number of fixes in 3.12, and one or more affects WXP, while some affect VISTA.

Use a regular pencil eraser and clean the metal points that connect the battery to the Thinkpad... If that doesn't work, I am afraid you need service... i would send it back to IBM Lenovo Easy Serve. You might see if the warranty can be extended, as generally Lenovo does allow warranty extensions.

I am sorry to report that Thinkpad 3000 is not popular among Thinkpad users... and is one of the few without a positive history. Lenovo has had a lot of trouble with it... and mass marketing at Costco, CompUSA, OfficeDepot and the others did dhte rest. You might consider cutting your losses and getting a T42, T60, or T61.
I have only worked on one Thinkpad 3000, and that belongs to my daughter in law. You might consider joining Bill Morrow's thinkpad user group, or the Thinkpads
http://stderr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/thinkpad
or search for Bill Morrow's Thinkpad site.
You may have to do a clean install to get rid of the 10% error... if you do not have the disk set, you can buy it from Lenovo for under $50 including shipping.
I consider the battery charging as a serious one. If that Thinkpad has a Fujitsu drive, it is probably a good one.
The BIOS upgrade, if you can get one installed at 3.10 or higher may clear up a lot of problems.

The 3.11 Bios is installed but for some reason the 3.12 will not take. WinPhlash ran through fine but after the reboot it was the old 3.11. Not sure why but could it have something to do wtih Vista?

I think that the clean install is a good one. Lenovo sent me the disk set shortly after purchasing the computer. We had several problems loading Vista and the customer service rep was not much help to us. So after several tries and me telling them that I was mailing it back to them they sent them to me. Maybe that should have told me something!

Thank you again for the help and I will let you know how I make out.

Cbat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back