Now you can Skype with people who speak a different language in real-time

dkpope

Staff

Microsoft released Skype Translator in late 2014 as a standalone app for Windows 8. As of today the translation feature is integrated directly into the desktop version of Skype (for users on Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.) Now you can have a conversation with someone who speaks English, French, German, Italian, Mandarin, or Spanish -- without knowing the language yourself.

On the company blog, Skype said that this update furthers their dream of breaking language barriers and unifying people around the world.

"Researchers, engineers, and many others across Microsoft have been working hard to make this dream a reality and we are looking forward to bringing this preview technology to more devices,” the post said.

Look for an update to the Skype for Windows desktop app in the next few weeks: A new translator button will appear within conversations. Translation is available for audio and video call as well as instant messages (then 50 languages will be supported, not just six.)

The general response to the Skype Translation tool so far has been positive. There are sometimes translation issues, but it seems to work well enough to hold conversations. Microsoft says it has recieved regular feedback about the app that they took into consideration before integrating it into the desktop app. As of now there's no definite answer about if or when you can get the update on Mac or iOS/Android, but given Microsoft's cross-platform focus it's a safe guess that it will happen relatively soon.

Permalink to story.

I haven't tried it yet, but since most languages rely on slang a lot, I doubt that parrot-level conversations would be engaging.

To TechSpot: Care to organize a virtual meeting for the website's activists? So you can judge the technology first-hand. It would also be fun for all the enemies to finally meet face-to-face. Surely many folks here are bilingual, myself included.

Last edited:
I haven't tried it yet, but since most languages rely on slang a lot, I doubt that parrot-level conversations would be engaging.

To TechSpot: Care to organize a virtual meeting for the website's activists? So you can judge the technology first-hand. It would also be fun for all the enemies to finally meet face-to-face. Surely many folks here are bilingual, myself included.

Sabo español y englaís.

Just watched the video. It's completely scripted and worked well. But those actors were obviously repeating lines! I chuckled at their reactions.

I find translations this quick impressive from a technological point of view. I don't have a use for it but I'd use it if I did.

English only, please. This article is not an invitation to demonstrate your non-English language skills. Thanks.

BTW, joking, right?

Ha!, and while I did make an invitation in my post above, TechSpot was nowhere to respond :)

Ha!, and while I did make an invitation in my post above, TechSpot was nowhere to respond :)
I was only addressing the non-English language posts in this thread and I didn't interpret your post as an invitation to start posting non-English messages in this thread although perhaps I was wrong on that point. Typically, non-English posts in these forums are simply deleted. Notice that you don't see many? However, in this case I simply took the opportunity to remind everyone rather than delete.

If you are serious about your suggestion, you should post it in the Site Feedback and Suggestions forum. It might have a better chance of getting a response from Admins. I mean that's what it's for after all. That's not to say that you may only post your suggestions there but just that's the best place, IMO.

I haven’t checked it out after the update yet, but to me, one of the huge downsides of this is that they don’t allow Skype-to-phone calls with it at this time. If it has to be used only with someone on my Skype contacts list, it’s pretty useless in general, in my opinion.

Back