NPD: Android smartphones now outselling iPhone in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

NPD is reporting that sales of Android phones unexpectedly topped Apple for the first time last quarter. According to the market research firm, Google's Android-based smartphones accounted for 28% of U.S. smartphone sales in Q1 2010, while the iPhone accounted for 21%. Both, however, were well behind RIM which still commands a 36% share.

NPD's numbers come from more than 150,000 self-reported online consumer surveys, so there's bound to be some variance between their results and actual sales data. But the numbers are still surprising considering comScore showed Android with a 10% share in February. NPD is usually considered a reasonably accurate source, so if their figures pan out among other research firms such as IDC and Gartner it'll be a stunning feat for Google's platform.

It's important to note that there are numerous Android-based smartphones on the U.S. and a handful of carriers offering them. Apple's smartphone, on the other hand, is only currently available from AT&T as the 8GB iPhone 3G along with the latest generation 16GB and 32GB iPhone 3GS. Much of Android's gain is attributed to Verizon, whose success with the Droid line and Buy One Get One promos helped keep its smartphone sales very close to AT&T's.

Permalink to story.

I believe everyone is aware that there's an iPhone update schedule for the upcoming months so people are holding off on buying one right now. I think things will heat up again around the summer. ;-)

Indeed. Everytime I see a thorn in the paw of the crApple beast it warms my heart.

@Didou - that may be true, regarding the update... But it also may be that Apple has run out of fanboys and "gotta have it first" lemmings, and the general population is slowly coming around to understand just how restrictive and elitist the Apple camp can be! heh

Honestly, the iPad is selling like mad, but also generating a big slow backwash of negativity towards Apple, with the whole Flash debacle at the forefront. It sort of airs out Apple's dirty laundry (aka draconian control freak tendencies) for all to see, and is turning many potential customers off.

Apple's one-size fits all phone and one wireless company to rule them all does not work with me.

I picked Android OS on my phone, not because I think the OS is any better than Apple, but because I can get hardware options that I want and a carrier to offer me a price that I'm willing to pay. In a few short months I can get a phone that's an 8 device hotspot with an 8MP camera w/ flash and video, and HDMI video output. What's Apple's future? (A lawsuit against a journalist and an anti-trust investigation?) And being open source Linux based, the Android OS leaves a lot of options open to me.

@Didou - I was told (by a teenage boy) who was buying an iPhone in a few weeks that the phone has a trade-up offer to get the new apple phone when it comes out. I didn't press him for any more news than that. Inside I was kind of laughing inside at his sheep like mentality to follow the herd.

Great news for Android :D .

Didou said:
I believe everyone is aware that there's an iPhone update schedule for the upcoming months so people are holding off on buying one right now.

Agreed, I think most consumers know a new iPhone is on the way especially after the whole lost/leaked iPhone ordeal that pretty much every media outlet covered.

Vrmithrax said:
@Didou - that may be true, regarding the update... But it also may be that Apple has run out of fanboys and "gotta have it first" lemmings, and the general population is slowly coming around to understand just how restrictive and elitist the Apple camp can be! heh

Honestly, the iPad is selling like mad, but also generating a big slow backwash of negativity towards Apple, with the whole Flash debacle at the forefront. It sort of airs out Apple's dirty laundry (aka draconian control freak tendencies) for all to see, and is turning many potential customers off.

While I agree with you on the restrictive nature and elitism of Apple products, I wouldn't say this is causing a backlash amongst normal consumers or none that I've seen at least. No one outside of techies I know really understands all the negativity towards Apple. They still have high regards for them especially with all the praise they get in the mainstream media, and usually consider AT&T/Microsoft to be the evil one.

On a related note this Daily Show segment might interest some of you guys.

Link - "Appholes - Microsoft was supposed to be the evil one, but now Apple is busting down doors in Palo Alto, while Commandant Gates rids the world of mosquitoes."

Google appears to be dominating the markets, especially if you were to take into consideration that their former forms of profits were through ads, their making a great entrance into the market place.

That new iphone will be...A touchscreen device with a button at the bottom, Will have a homescreen with apps (no customization) will have the same support run exactly the same (the hardware ofcourse will be upgraded) But once again, it will be the SAME DAMN THING. Difference between Iphone 3g and 3gs? A compass. (My Opinion) They're just good at marketing, But seriously..Everything they do, sell, project, talk about. IT ALL SOUNDS, LOOKS,FEELS THE SAME..Example? Ford Creates a 2 door car, a year later adds a spoiler and a bodykit Hires a rank b actor to make fun of Chevy in all white commercials. The public goes raving mad, OMFG A BRAND NEW MODEL. Crapple can suck it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back