Ntfs.sys

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend's laptop recently won't boot and instead shows the BSOD with the following:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again,
follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation
or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration,
and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check
for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xF7A4980C, 0xF7A49508, 0xF72FD167)

*** Ntfs.sys - Address F72FD167 base at F72F000, DateStamp 48025be5

I have tried booting different ways, including from a recovery disk, recovery console, Windows PE, Safe mode, Last good config, all gave me the BSOD again. How can I uninstall any of those things if I can't even get it to boot into windows? I downloaded and burned an iso of a swiss army type disk full of utilities(HawkPE-42 - The PC Tech's Swiss Army Knife Live DVD) and it has Linux Slax 6 which did boot, but I have no idea what I can do once in there to fix this error. I also removed the RAM and reseated in several times. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

I had posted this in the BSOD Help & Support section but was advised to try this section as it seems that it may be a hard drive issue.

The disk I have has BartPE/WinPE and will not boot into it. It has a IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test on it which I used and told me that even though it is not a Hitachi drive, that it has errors. So, is there a way to fix these errors? Do I need to wipe the hard drive and start fresh? Or does the hard drive need replacing? I'd really like to be able to save the contents if possible.

Well, I downloaded and burned the Ultimate Boot CD, it had an added gateway hard disk utility that i ran and found errors and fixed them. Although this did not get rid of the BSOD and still will not boot into safe mode or otherwise.

I actually downloaded that and installed it onto my computer but for some reason it will not let me open it, when I do try a message pops up and says sorry but you must have administrator privileges. I am the only user on my computer and it shows that i am the admin. any ideas?

oops, nevermind, figured it out

Guess it kinda helps to read the FAQs

Ok, I ended up using the chkdsk utility within the UBCD4WIN and it fixed the errors and then I followed the instructions off the link you sent me, worked like a charm! Thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back