NTLDR is missing

jo5

Went to start my computer an got a" NTLDR is missing" Have XP Pro service pack 3
cant do a repair or get pass this screen

Missing NTLDR Resolution

I am having the same issue. But what I've done so far is put that hardrive with the missing NTLDR as a slave, than log onto the temporary master to axcess the defective hardrive and either re-install windows or follow what Poppa Bear said,

First reboot the system from your XP CDROM.

Then when prompted select the option to enter the recovery console by typing R.

Select the installation to be repaired, eg 1 or 2 or 3 etc, followed by the administrator password, if you have one.

Type Fixboot and answer yes to the prompt.

Set the prompt cursor to the letter of your CDROM drive by typing: X: \ and then enter, where X is the drive letter of your CDROM.

If you're not sure which directory is your CDROM drive, select each drive, one by one by using the {drive letter}: \ command and then type "dir" at the command prompt and then "enter". eg D: \ and enter. Then dir and enter.

Once the cursor is set to your CDROM drive, type in the following commands and leave all spaces eactly as they appear here:

Remember X is the letter of your CDROM drive.

X: \attrib -h ntldr
X: \attrib -s ntldr
X: \attrib -r ntldr
X: \attrib -h ntdetect.com
X: \attrib -s ntdetect.com
X: \attrib -r ntdetect.com
copy X:\i386\ntldr C:\
copy X:\i386\ntdetect.com C:\

For example, if your CDROM drive was the E drive, a command would look like this: E:\>E: \attrib -h ntldr where the cursor prompt is E:\>

Notice that when you type the two "copy" commands, there is no "X: \" prefix before the "copy" command.

Type "Exit" to leave Recovery Console, remove the XP CD and Reboot your PC.

I am not sure yet if it works, but even if you try it shouldn't mess up your computer.

Back