Numbered lights flashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaorichan2009

Im trying to diagnose a problem on my brother's computer and I need a little bit of help. He has a Dell Inspiron E521 and the lights 3 and 4 on the front are flashing in Green. Is it bad ram? X_X i hope its not the power supply

Dell @ [url said:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ws650/en/ug/advanced.htm#1170800[/url]
  • 1. Reseat the memory modules to ensure that your computer is successfully communicating with the memory.
  • 2. Restart the computer.
  • 3. If the problem still exists, remove all the memory modules and install one memory module in memory module connector 4.
  • 4. Restart the computer.
The following message appears: Alert! Operating in Debug Mode. Please Populate Memory in Pairs for Normal Operation.
  • 5. Press <F1> to boot to the operating system.
  • 6. Run the Dell Diagnostics.
  • 7. If the memory module passes, shut down the computer, remove the memory module, and repeat the process with the remaining memory modules until a memory error occurs during start-up or diagnostic testing.
If the first memory module tested is defective, repeat the process with the remaining modules to ensure the remaining modules are not defective.
  • 8. When the defective memory module is identified, contact Dell for a replacement.
NOTE: If necessary, the computer can operate in debug mode until new memory modules are installed.

My concern on this is that you say the lights are blinking, and the documentation indicates a solid light for the light code. I would suggest reviewing the URL noted above. If you have difficulty using Dell's memory diagnostic, we would suggest Memtest, per this tutorial... https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

the fans start up but the hard drive and everything else wont... im trying to find more information but everything i read said that its the power supply. >.> fixed it was just the ram needed cleaned.

Dirty contacts or dust buildup?
I assume the former, as the later would normally cause heat to build gradually and then start causing errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back