Nvidia 9600 GT issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

strkml

I am hoping this is the right place to post this... first time here. Anyways...

I am having problems with my video card, but first a little bit of a background.

I just upgraded my PC, I knew that I had to go the whole nine yards when upgrading the CPU so I went all out and upgraded the Processor, Motherboard, RAM and Power Supply. I left my graphics card the same, as I didn't see a need to replace that at the time, as I was (and still am) using a Nvidia 9600GT.

I installed everything in my old case, formatted my windows 7 OS to get a clean boot. When I finished this and started the computer everything was working fine, including video as the default driver windows installed was the Nvidia GeForce 9600GT (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1) my games were running fine, I had to install PhysX drivers but aside from that everything ran fine until I started getting some graphical errors. Nothing major, but I would tab out while playing Mass Effect 2 for example and the background image was stretched. I decided to upgrade to the latest video card driver. This is where the problems started.

I downloaded the driver, started the installation but it only got part of the way through it before the video went black and I got a dos prompt cursor. I had seen this before, no big deal but it didn't continue with the installation. I left the computer for half an hour, came back to the same thing which ended in me having to reboot, go to safe mode, uninstall the driver back to the default and try again.

Same problems again and again and again with different driver versions, downloaded from different sites. The only one that seemed to work, was the ones from EVGA. I could boot to windows after the install (and it actually finished installing) but then the computer would hang, completely after a few minutes at best. Now I am literally about ready to pull my own hair out so I hope someone here can help me.

Yes that was the first place I downloaded the drivers from. The version I downloaded was v197.45

Didn't actually have it installed, fresh install of windows means I lost everything including installed anti-virus/firewall. I literally had nothing on my computer. That is what I don't understand. Unless there is a massive compatibility issue with my hardware, I should be able to install and run the drivers flawlessly.

In Windows 7 there is Windows Defender that comes with it. I know it's anti-spyware, not anti-virus, but maybe it interfered anyway. Probably not but it couldn't hurt to try with it off.

No luck on windows defender, the issue still continues even when that is disabled. I'll throw down my system specs here, just to see if anyone can make sense of weather it is a hardware issue or not.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-790XT-USB3
RAM: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3
PS: Gigabyte ODIN 720W
GPU: Nvidia 9600 GT 512MB

Not sure if that helps at all.

What about the other drivers like the motherboard chipset, LAN, sound, etc.? Did you install these as well?

Yep, installed all the drivers for the motherboard, they all work perfectly. The only one that doesn't is the video card. I have gotten on the horn with Gigabyte tech support, hoping that they can help me but I am not holding my breath at this point.

I have a 9600GT and Windows 7 Ultimate. I have installed the nVidia drivers with no issue with Defender switched ON.

I'd say it's more likely that one of the other drivers is causing a problem or a conflict with other hardware that you swapped out. My 9600GT has been on for about 2 months (maybe 5 restarts - mainly for updates) and no issues here.

Hello.

I have exactly the same PC configuration as you :
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-790XT-USB3
RAM: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3
GPU: Nvidia 9600 GT 512MB
PS : Antec 550W

and as you can imagine, I have exactly the same trouble..
I also updated my configuration but for the Graphic Card, and I also have this black screen when booting after graphic card update.

Windows 7 always manages to restore a previous funtionnal setting, but I always loose all the installed programms...

If you have found any solution, please share !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back