Nvidia 'Ampere Next' GPUs are set to arrive in 2022, 'Ampere Next Next' will follow in...

Polycount

Staff
Forward-looking: Nvidia's GPU Technology Conference (GTC) kicked off today in an all-digital format. CEO Jensen Huang took to the stage to give us all the annual tidbits of juicy GPU news... and more. This time around, that news came in the form of a roadmap, which lays out Nvidia's rough hardware plans for the next four years.

Between now and 2025, Nvidia aims to release six generations of hardware. Two of them will center around GPUs: Ampere Next and Ampere "Next Next." We assume these architecture names aren't final, but the cards are set for release in 2022 and 2024, respectively.

That'll give everyone about another year to enjoy -- or not, considering the widespread GPU shortages we've seen lately -- Nvidia's 30-series GPUs before the next hardware leap arrives. If Nvidia sticks to its current RTX naming conventions, Ampere Next will likely be branded RTX 4000-series, with Next Next taking on the 5000-series moniker.

It's too early to predict things like performance, energy efficiency, or cooling capabilities for these next-gen GPUs, but other products are coming up on Nvidia's roadmap, too -- namely, its newly-announced ARM-based CPUs (called Grace and Grace Next, for now). These CPUs are scheduled to launch in 2023 and 2025.

Finally, Nvidia's Data Processing Unit (DPU) Bluefield will also see two new iterations; Bluefield-3 in 2022 and Bluefield 4 in 2024. Nvidia hopes the new DPUs will offer exponential increases in raw processing power. Bluefield-3 is claimed to be 10 times faster than its predecessor, and Bluefield-4 could bring a 100x performance boost.

Permalink to story.

Sad part is that I'm not even sure they'll get regular Ampere back to normal availability and pricing before 2022 unless it's basically the end of 2022.

Not sure why Nvidia wants to just have an effectively missing generation and is now rushing these cards out of the door it seems but we'll have to see what they deliver.

Scalpers and miners actively plan and improve their methods of acquisition all the time. These cards don't even exist yet, but are already as good as gone. As for gamers, nvidia doesn't care about them anymore and never will again.

I'm confused I thought Nvidia brings out new generations every threes years. They just got new generation in late 2020

That no new generation to late 2023.

So RTX4000 is Lovelace which is just an update of Ampere and RTX5000 will be Hopper, a totally new architecture, is that right? I'm skipping RTX3000 at this stage and waiting for RTX4000 unless we still get the same supply issues and then I may try to pick up second hand RTX3080 Ti at a good price say late 2022. With RDNA3 also coming in 2022 and still promising 50% performance per watt improvement over RDNA2, assuming we can get one maybe next we can obtain these cards at RRP.

I'm confused I thought Nvidia brings out new generations every threes years. They just got new generation in late 2020

It's been every 2 years? I just upgraded from a 10XX to 30XX, and I got the 10XX about 4 years ago...

2 more gens of Ampere first.
Ampere next, then next next.
You have been misled by the camouflage naming scheme here. Ampere Next, means the next card after Ampere, not necessarily Ampere 2. In this case it will be Lovelace in 2022.

As for Ampere Next Next, again it means the card after the Next one, which will be Hopper (or different) in 2024.

So the GPU roadmap should have looked like this Ampere 2020 > Lovelace 2022 > Hopper (or different) 2024.

edit: Hopper might only be for the CPU, so a different architecture for the GPU maybe?

Last edited:
Truth is that if somebody want a card then get a card today. All this waiting for next gen and next gen is kind of pointless. There'll be always something better next year, something you cannot afford or buy. And keep in mind this. 1080Tis second or third hand are right now priced like they were brand new 5 years ago. So it's not cheap 2nd hand either.

I agree that nVidia shafted their lineup badly giving 3080 only 10G of VRAM. With current shortages most astonishing thing is that however overpriced 3090 (2.5x of MSRP) is best buy for performance gained, while 3080 is worst. 3080 is like 4.5x of nominal price at this very moment. I'm fishing for my 3090 (only interested in models which have or I can get a block), but every time I find stock below 3700$ its gone in 2 seconds flat.

This assuming they supply chains/chips aren't a issue. There is a reality that the supply fix won't even begin to happen until 2022, maybe even 2023. So Nvidia isn't gonna be making anything if things aren't fixed n I doubt they will be in 2022.

The time interval between Nvidia's architectural releases has varied somewhat over the years. Starting with Ampere and workings backwards:

Ampere (GA102) - September 2020
Ampere (GA100) - May 2020
Turing (TU102) - August 2018
Volta (GV100) - December 2017
Pascal (GP104) - May 2016
Maxwell (GM107) - February 2014
Kepler refresh (GK208) - April 2013
Kepler (GK110) - November 2012
Fermi refresh (GF110) - November 2010
Fermi (GF100) - March 2010
Telsa refresh (GT218) - April 2007
Tesla (G80) - November 2006

So if one excludes refreshes and only considers entirely new designs, then the time gaps are:

Tesla > Fermi = 3 years, 4 months
Fermi > Kepler = 2 years, 8 months
Kepler > Maxwell = 1 year, 3 months
Maxwell > Pascal = 2 years, 3 months
Pascal > Volta = 1 year, 7 months
Volta > Turing = 0 year, 8 months or Pascal > Turing = 2 years, 3 months
Turing > Ampere = 1 year, 9 months or 2 years, 1 month

Sad part is that I'm not even sure they'll get regular Ampere back to normal availability and pricing before 2022 unless it's basically the end of 2022.

Not sure why Nvidia wants to just have an effectively missing generation and is now rushing these cards out of the door it seems but we'll have to see what they deliver.

It’s not a missing generation just because a lot of people are home under quarantine and are unable to get a card. Lots of cards are being sold, many of them to actual gamers.

Demand should hopefully taper off as vaccines become more readily available and people can do other things again besides sit at home in front the computer.

It’s not a missing generation just because a lot of people are home under quarantine and are unable to get a card. Lots of cards are being sold, many of them to actual gamers.

Demand should hopefully taper off as vaccines become more readily available and people can do other things again besides sit at home in front the computer.
ive heard that argument too - in terms of amd cpu's (I want a 5900 or 5950x) they are suddenly becoming more available, which is great to see - at the same time, I dont mind the wait - what's another several months when you have something that works now already and is not a pressing need? :)

"It's not a missing generation because it has significantly less people using them from gamers before the generation is obsolete, also gamers are losers that need to get out more!"

Those are not arguments, that's just generic vitriol.

"It's not a missing generation because it has significantly less people using them from gamers before the generation is obsolete, also gamers are losers that need to get out more!"

Those are not arguments, that's just generic vitriol.

Υeah, one has to be delusional or a troll to think that gamers are responsible for the GPU shortage and GPU outrageous prices.

Reminds me of this guy in the NVIDIA sub, a NVIDIA apologist, who blamed the current GPU shortage to...console gamers who went PC for the first time.

Yes, I kid you not, and he even got upvoted. Nothing to discuss with bigfoot fans & such ppl.

They are planning on next two generations but they can't delivery current generations and started production on two generations ago lol. Nvidia just stay quiet dude.

They are planning on next two generations but they can't delivery current generations and started production on two generations ago lol. Nvidia just stay quiet dude.
Well, R&D is different from mass manufacturing. If they don't want to be left behind they will keep on pushing. RDNA is just behind and damage to brand name resulting from loss of performance crown can be immense. Just look what lethargic R&D did to Intel.....

Well, R&D is different from mass manufacturing. If they don't want to be left behind they will keep on pushing. RDNA is just behind and damage to brand name resulting from loss of performance crown can be immense. Just look what lethargic R&D did to Intel.....

RDNA is 3 years ahead of nVidia's gaming architecture.

RTX 20 was a flop and RTX 30 is even a bigger flop... using lies and mismarketing to promote their product. Ampere is large, hot and power hungry..... and nVidia pays developers to use "their tech" in a few blockbuster games... to make it seem like their proprietary tech is everywhere, instead of just a few games.

Lemmings eat it up....

Back