Nvidia and Android forums fall victim to hackers

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Add two more websites to the already long list of sites that have been hacked as of late. Nvidia’s developer forum and Phandroid’s AndroidForums.com have both been breached and it is believed that usernames and hashed passwords were among the data stolen during each attack.

Nvidia has temporarily shut down their Developer Zone in response to attacks on the site by unauthorized third parties. A statement by the graphics company notes that the culprits may have gained access to hashed passwords. Nvidia says they are investigating the matter and working to restore secure operations but in the meantime, everyone is advised to change any identical passwords used on other websites.

Earlier this week AndroidForums.com was targeted in a similar attack. The hacker(s) used a known exploit to gain access to usernames, hashed passwords and potentially any other data that a member may have submitted during registration. The fan site has over a million registered members, although the administrators believe the attack was carried out to collect email addresses to send spam messages to at a later date.

Senior technology consultant Graham Cluley from security firm Sophos points out that password re-use in a big problem and that an alarming number of people use the same password on multiple websites. The main reason for this is that it’s easier to remember a single password but the consequence of essentially being lazy is that once your credentials are compromised at one site, it becomes extremely easy for someone with bad intentions to gain access to other accounts linked to the same username or email address.

Permalink to story.

Wow isnt it great that these hackers can sit in thier mommies basment and cause all this chaos and never have to put on underwear.....

The internet wasn't designed for security too wide open for threats. Beef up your protection on your end. That's all you can do.. It all started with the 1982 movie called WarGames the games still in effect today!

One password for web sites thats ok.. if there is no information other than for log in Like, name and email address.. so one password for all those is fine..
Web sites that need more information like banks and sites requiring name, address phone number, birth date email address.. Yes use a specific Password Strong one at that..
daaaaa... I frequent alot of Software Forums and yes I use the same password Using the small and upper case, and numbers and symbols, and I have a book with all them wrote down and I do change them on a regular basis..
:)

Back