Nvidia confirms Pascal and Turing GPUs will co-exist, but not compete

LemmingOverlrd

Why it matters: Given the price point at which Turing is launching, many have noticed that Nvidia is in no rush to retire its 10-series Pascal cards. Now we have confirmation from Nvidia the cards will remain on shop shelves throughout the holiday season.

During the recent Citi Global Technology Conference, Nvidia's CFO, Colette Kress, confirmed what many in the tech media have been mulling about since the Turing announcement: the co-existence of two generations of Nvidia GPU architectures.

According to the exec, for the remainder of the year, Turing-based RTX 2080 Ti, RTX 2080 or RTX 2070 cards will be sold side by side with 10-series GTX cards. The company seems to justify this strategy by placing the performance of Turing front and center and charging through the nose for it: "We will be selling probably for the holiday season, both our Turing and our Pascal overall architecture. Remember, Turing is a leap forward in terms of overall capabilities. The performance improvement is much greater than the overall price."

The fact remains that Turing has a hefty price tag that puts it in an entire category of its own. As long as Nvidia can drive the idea that its performance obliterates Pascal, the Turing chips will not compete with Pascal, and the company can gradually sell off its excess 10-series inventory.

Kress also made a bold claim which ended up sounding like she'd been hitting the company's kool aid, hard. When asked for an apples-to-apples comparison of Pascal vs. Turing, she said "We will likely see a 2x improvement without even dealing with overall ray-tracing on your existing games in terms of existing performance."

Despite a lot of talk about the performance on the Turing cards, there Nvidia has been very silent about its mid-range and entry-level 20-series cards. During the conference, Kress never spilled the beans on a launch date for these, but her comments made it sound a lot like the remainder of the Turing line-up is not ray tracing-enabled. "The cards will come out. We'll start with the ray tracing cards. We have the 2080 Ti, the 2080 and the 2070 overall coming to market." If this is indeed the case, Nvidia is likely to only launch these cards when they've cleared the channel of Pascal.

Permalink to story.

Ray-tracing is just a gimmick for a while but if this quote "We will likely see a 2x improvement without even dealing with overall ray-tracing on your existing games in terms of existing performance." has any merit I will buy one. Still waiting for benchmarks and reviews, I don't know why anyone would pre-order these with no info unless they were independent reviewers.

Ok Nvidia, sell everything on hype and lies... Guaranteed they lunch a new card end of next year that's 7nm.

I am wondering... if 2080 Ti is barely pulling 30fps @ 1080p with RTX on, then could we even consider 2080 and 2070 (15fps @ 1080p?) even being worth called really RTX cards?

It's either buy the 2080 Ti or forget Ray Tracing. Those cards simply don't have enough RT power to do an impactful amount of RT.

Ray-tracing is just a gimmick for a while but if this quote "We will likely see a 2x improvement without even dealing with overall ray-tracing on your existing games in terms of existing performance." has any merit I will buy one. Still waiting for benchmarks and reviews, I don't know why anyone would pre-order these with no info unless they were independent reviewers.

That quote has zero merit. Nvidia have previously shown slides with a 25-35% increase in a few games they cherry picked. Funny part about Ray Tracing is some of the effects it does, like global illumination, have already been done using regular rasterization methods at a fraction of the processing cost.

I am wondering... if 2080 Ti is barely pulling 30fps @ 1080p with RTX on, then could we even consider 2080 and 2070 (15fps @ 1080p?) even being worth called really RTX cards?

lol Thanks for the laugh!
But the last time I checked, new technologies were new...

lol Thanks for the laugh!
But the last time I checked, new technologies were new...
the point he is making is that the cards may never be fast enough to turn the setting on in any game. Therefore meaning g they are for all intents a d purposes not ray tracing capable cards. All the evidence so far points to massive slowdowns with etc on.
What evidence, a game that wasnt fully finished that the dev said was on them n not the tech aka card.
RT is just a option, you dont have to even enbale it. As most have said, it may even be yrs before any game can truely utilizes it. It may better than expected, it may not.
All people truely care about, is there a big performance increase as nvidia has claimed. We dont know yet but its coming soon. 5 more days.

It pulls 60FPS, not 30.
Where do this numbers come from? Without a referenced game and settings at which it was run this numbers mean nothing. I can say I have 1000 fps with my old AMD 280X at 4K.... in minesweeper.

Where do this numbers come from? Without a referenced game and settings at which it was run this numbers mean nothing. I can say I have 1000 fps with my old AMD 280X at 4K.... in minesweeper.
Battlefield V ray tracing demo claimed that it ran at 1080p@'solid' 60FPS on high settings.

Well there is always sli lol except the 2070 cant sli so it seems the 2070 is probably the most pointless card in the lineup.

Well there is always sli lol except the 2070 cant sli so it seems the 2070 is probably the most pointless card in the lineup.

I'm glad that my 1080 Ti is just couple percent slower in games in 1440p without RayTracing (does not seem that 2080Ti worth for 1080Ti users even with ray tracing, might be the next xx80 Ti card.)

Also it feels like an incomplete product, should we hope a refresh?

Currently the 1080ti seems like a value compared to the rumored and leaked performance as well as Nvidia's own numbers compared to the 2080. Especially if you can get it at the low $600 which im starting to see here and there before it get sold out. This could be all intentional to sell off remaining stock of the 1080tis. I except similar outcome when it come to 2070 vs 1080.

Lots of people seem to have already decided that ray tracing performance will be awful. How do they know? I understand that the unfinished cards, running unfinished drivers in unfinished games didn’t perform that well. But it’s hardly confirmation that RTX will sap performance.

Let’s wait until the benchmarks for the finished products come out before we condemn these products.

The 10th series have hardly any competition so there`s no point in taking them out, especially if they go cheaper.

I find it strange Nvidia is pushing Ray Tracing really fast and hard (to push their high end cards that no one thinks it's worth buying) and now this. I think they have a huge overstock on older cards and trying to flip it making look like we should be grateful Nvidia is still "making" their older cards.

Lots of people seem to have already decided that ray tracing performance will be awful. How do they know? I understand that the unfinished cards, running unfinished drivers in unfinished games didn’t perform that well. But it’s hardly confirmation that RTX will sap performance.

Let’s wait until the benchmarks for the finished products come out before we condemn these products.
True, its almost like crysisesk but not really imo.
Can it run ray tracing! All over again.
To be honest I was more excited about crysis.

Last edited:

They don't know. The speculation over RTX performance comes from Shadow of The Tomb Raider video with Ray Tracing on. It was 1080p 60 fps with hiccups on the RTX 2080Ti. This is just not what someone paying US 1.200 dollars expect.

Battlefield V ray tracing demo claimed that it ran at 1080p@'solid' 60FPS on high settings.

And in Shadow of the Tomb Raider (https://www.techspot.com/news/76073-shadow-tomb-raider-unable-maintain-60fps-geforce-rtx.html), it struggled to even reach 60FPS@1080p. So nVidia's claims of "x2 performance", let alone guarantees of "60FPS with ray-tracing at 1080p" are pretty hard to believe.

Back