Nvidia could launch the GeForce RTX 3090 Ti and RTX 3050 in January 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanoguy

Staff member
In brief: No one asked for it, but Nvidia will be launching a few new RTX 3000 series graphics cards in the coming weeks. Whether or not you'll be able to purchase one of the new models at a decent price is another story, but we can only hope the situation will improve by the end of 2022.

Back in October, the rumor mill was abuzz about the existence of an RTX 3090 Ti that could arrive in early 2022. A new report from Videocardz seems to confirm this, as the publication saw embargoed documents that indicate Nvidia is coordinating with AIB partners for a January 27 launch date.

The same documents also indicate the company is preparing to unveil an RTX 3070 Ti with 16 gigabytes of VRAM on December 17, with retail availability set for January 11. This won’t be any faster than the existing GeForce RTX 3070 Ti, as it’s still based on the same GA104-401 GPU with 6144 CUDA cores.

As for the RTX 3090 Ti, it’s expected to be based on the GA102-250 GPU with 10,752 CUDA cores — 256 more than the RTX 3090. The VRAM size is the same 24 gigabytes, but it will reportedly run at 21 Gbps thanks to improved Micron chips. However, the downside is that the new RTX 3090 Ti could end up with a TGP of 450 watts — 100 watts more than the standard RTX 3090.

Videocardz says the RTX 3050 will arrive on the same day as the RTX 3090 Ti, but details around it are scare at the moment. Some speculate it will be on par with the refreshed RTX 2060 12 GB in most scenarios, but a bigger concern will most likely be around availability -- more on that in our monthly update.

Permalink to story.

I am just comfortable with the 3090 FTW3, however, if I did have a chance at a 3090Ti I would probably buy it though.

Availability is going to be difficult due to cryptominers and scalpers for the powerful cards. The 3090Ti is gonna be a unicorn almost.

As for the 3050, my laptop has the 3050Ti and most revile it due to the lack of more than 4GB. I'd hope they could bump the low-end cards up to 6GB or 8GB to help them perform better between 1080p and 1440p.

They should launch the 3090Ti ASAP as it's now high season for these cards seeing how NVIDIA intended them to go toe to toe vs space heaters.

Buy a single card?

How the mighty have fallen. Once upon the time you'd buy 5-6 of these. Mining profits low?

It will be hard enough getting just one of them.

And then the question is: if I did get one...what should I do with it?

Sell it to someone for more than the purchase and keep rocking my 3090FTW3?

Or skip the 3090Ti altogether and go after the more difficult to find Kingpin?

"The GA102-350-A1 chip, which is rumoured to feature in the RTX 3090 Ti, will have 10752 CUDA cores, up from the RTX 3090’s 10496 CUDA cores. This won’t be of any use in gaming specifically, but for those who use their gaming PC for heavy-duty workloads like 3D rendering, machine learning and video encoding, the extra cores will help with performance."

3050 I am a bit conflicted about: On the one hand we know from the laptop version than the 4gb of vram is being surpassed by the actual stregth of the GPU: It can be compared to a 1070 in performance and for perspective that card had double the vram and if anything, 1080p gaming has gotten far more intense in it's vram usage (I personally blame lazy developers that never optimize textures to have them still look good but occupy a lot less space)

However if they release it as a 6 or 8 gb of vram chances are that the usual will happen: late-to-the-party miners that couldn't get or afford the better Ampere cards will just snatch them up.

So really at this point the sad state of thing is a card that is very crippled for miners and kiiiind of crippled but gamers but still usable. As usual there are just no good options until Etherum and Bitcoin die down and I am not convince that might ever happen to levels at which GPU mining is not profitable.

As usual there are just no good options until Etherum and Bitcoin die down and I am not convince that might ever happen to levels at which GPU mining is not profitable.
I know it's the popular thing to blame miners and crypto.... but the real problem is the global supply shortages due to the pandemic and some natural disasters... Once Nvidia and AMD can get their chips into "normal" production, you will be able to get GPUs (and a bunch of other stuff) at MSRP again.

3050 I am a bit conflicted about: On the one hand we know from the laptop version than the 4gb of vram is being surpassed by the actual stregth of the GPU: It can be compared to a 1070 in performance and for perspective that card had double the vram and if anything, 1080p gaming has gotten far more intense in it's vram usage (I personally blame lazy developers that never optimize textures to have them still look good but occupy a lot less space)

However if they release it as a 6 or 8 gb of vram chances are that the usual will happen: late-to-the-party miners that couldn't get or afford the better Ampere cards will just snatch them up.

So really at this point the sad state of thing is a card that is very crippled for miners and kiiiind of crippled but gamers but still usable. As usual there are just no good options until Etherum and Bitcoin die down and I am not convince that might ever happen to levels at which GPU mining is not profitable.

If only there was some way to keep the cards for gamers who want one and let the crypto scam buyers only get what's left.

The problem is, that gamers who want to turn a profit will just as easily take their card and hawk them to the crypto scam purchasers.

Isn't the 4000 series due end of 2022?
I'd be very surprised if they actually release it then - with the current shortages, they'd make just as much (if not more) money just continuing the 3000 series... not to mention simply angering all those people who paid double or triple MSRP on 3080s and 3090s who now have "obsolete" cards...

If only there was some way to keep the cards for gamers who want one and let the crypto scam buyers only get what's left.

The problem is, that gamers who want to turn a profit will just as easily take their card and hawk them to the crypto scam purchasers.
I’m a gamer but if I can get either of these cards for MSRP I will do exactly that and sell it for a markup on eBay. I will happily scalp. I don’t really care if gamers get upset with this, buying low and selling high is just smart business.

Money is far more important to me than not upsetting entitled PC gamers..

Might as well be vaporware for the rest of us but I'm sure the crypto miners are salivating for this release. 🥲

The more time that passes, the happier I am that I managed to get a 3060 in the Newegg shuffle for just over 500. It's not exactly a monster, but it is definitely adequate for at least 1080p and I plan on keeping it for years.

I’m a gamer but if I can get either of these cards for MSRP I will do exactly that and sell it for a markup on eBay. I will happily scalp. I don’t really care if gamers get upset with this, buying low and selling high is just smart business.

When I think back to the $1799 (1955 + tax) that I spent on each FTW3, I think to myself:

a) I could have put the money into the stock $130 back then (prior to the split) and tripled my money.

b) I could have sold both cards for damn near double what I paid.

Unfortunately, either choice would have left me with nothing but a 2080Ti to run Cyberpunk, Far Cry 6, DCS World and Battlefield 4.

Opportunity Cost is a pain.

I still think they should bring back the Titan name for the 3090Ti ....
They can't. 3090 is a Geforce GPU, for gaming that can do some, emphasis on "some" pro-sumer work.

The Titan GPU is not a Geforce, it has different drivers and more importantly it has a lot more pro-sumer functions and uses that the 3090 does not have. Plus it can game.

Jensen said at the 3090 launch it's a "Titan class card", but that's not the same thing, yet it cleverly mislead a lot of naive people and the master of BS won again...

So a 3050’s final retail price will be more in line with top end 80 class cards from say around 2014. PC gaming really isnt worth all this money imo. Its such a shame. Hopefully they can ramp up supply enough to fix it but in the meantime I am going to stick to Minecraft and old games.

They can't. 3090 is a Geforce GPU, for gaming that can do some, emphasis on "some" pro-sumer work.

The Titan GPU is not a Geforce, it has different drivers and more importantly it has a lot more pro-sumer functions and uses that the 3090 does not have. Plus it can game.

Jensen said at the 3090 launch it's a "Titan class card", but that's not the same thing, yet it cleverly mislead a lot of naive people and the master of BS won again...
The Titan can be whatever Nvidia says it is.... the 3090 - with different drivers, could well have been a "Titan"... they could easily brand the 3090Ti a Titan if they pleased...

The "new" RTX 2060 (just a 192 bus 2060 Super with 12GB of RAM) is going to be as good as the 2060 Super, which is about 5% slower than a RTX 3060.

Where is the RTX 3050 going to fall, let alone what is it going to cost?
My guess would be around a 1070 performance (about 20% behind a RTX 2060 Super) and MSRP at $249 and then actually retail for $450.

I am just comfortable with the 3090 FTW3, however, if I did have a chance at a 3090Ti I would probably buy it though.

Availability is going to be difficult due to cryptominers and scalpers for the powerful cards. The 3090Ti is gonna be a unicorn almost.

As for the 3050, my laptop has the 3050Ti and most revile it due to the lack of more than 4GB. I'd hope they could bump the low-end cards up to 6GB or 8GB to help them perform better between 1080p and 1440p.

You have in a place to get good 2nd hand prices for sales , plus sleeping out in the Bestbuy car park helps.

But why not wait till the RTX 4090? - much better node , twice as fast , RT much improved , new encoder 99% likely for video work . Do you love MS flight simulator that much ?

Ah, you're a man of principles.

The Titan can be whatever Nvidia says it is.... the 3090 - with different drivers, could well have been a "Titan"... they could easily brand the 3090Ti a Titan if they pleased...
No, they can't it's not about the title or branding it's about the hardware and the 3090 does not have the actual hardware of a Titan card to do what a Titan can do...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back