Nvidia Driver Update Problem

When I was updating my graphics card it gave me a bsod and it restarted itself. Second time around it successfully installed though shortly after it is giving me non-stop bsod. Currently my computer whenever I try to turn it on is in a bsod loop. Every time it is about to boot into the sign in screen it gives me a bsod error.Through some research I ran across this https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/49dghk/some_us... which assured me it was the update. The thing is very very rarely does my computer boot up correctly or gives me options to enable safemode. I have no idea what to do

specs

Processor: Intel Core i7-6700k 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz CPU
Motherboard: LGA 1151 Intel Motherboard
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB Video Card
Memory: 16GB DDR4 Gaming Memory
Power Supply: Thermaltake 700 Watt Smart 80 PLUS Certified PSU
HDD: 240GB SSD
Second HDD: 2 TB 7200 RPM Hard Disk
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Liquid Cooling: Thermaltake Water 3.0 120mm AIO Liquid Cooling

nVidia stores information and drivers in folders when you update the graphics drivers. Normally this isn’t a problem but I have been getting the occasional blue screen on one computer, usually at start up, pointing to an nVidia issue. My action a couple of days ago was to download a free program called Display Driver Uninstall (DDU) and zap nVidia with it. This removes the nVidia drivers and all the crud that accumulates over time. I had an nVidia folder with over 5Gb of stuff inside which refused to go away.

When you next manage to boot up into Windows I recommend that you check carefully on the nVidia site and download the last two graphics drivers for your system. Next, download DDU and use it to remove your nVidia drivers. When your computer is restarted install the graphics drivers that you downloaded. It’s probably best to use the last but one driver first. I’ve done a custom install to miss out all the extra bells and whistles over and above the basic drivers. This gives a clean install of the graphics drivers and I’m hoping the problem is solved but it’s too soon to say.

What I don't understand is why my computer sometimes decides to boot correctly or give me the options to enter safe mode. Sadly when I didn't know what was the problem it is when the options popped up. Yesterday I waited for around 30 mins or so and never got the options. Also wonder why they removed the option to go into safe mode from boot.

I can't believe how an update from the company did this much harm. I tried using a usb to boot and it still gives me a bsod error while booting.

Microsoft have tried to speed up boot time into Windows so that's why the old methods were abandonned. You were able to get into Safe mode a few times before before and that's when you should have uninstalled or rolled back to the previous nVidia driver. Hopefully you'll get lucky and it'll eventually boot to the option screen. Otherwise, I wouldn't know what to do short of reinstalling W10. I'd not rush to do that in case there's another option. I wonder what would happen if you pulled out the graphics card? If the motherboard has onboard graphics maybe you could get it to boot up that way. Just speculation though.

Back