Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 rumored for late-August release

Jos

Staff

Nvidia recently quelled all complaints about the efficiency of its Fermi architecture with a card that's not only faster than its similarly priced competitor; it also consumes slightly less power, runs cooler and quieter. The GF104-based GTX 460 is already looking like a real hit in the $200 price bracket, and it seems lower-end derivatives are just around the corner.

According to Turkish site Donanimhaber, a new GeForce GTS 450 graphics card will be doing the rounds towards the end of August. This would be the first Fermi with the 'GTS' name. Although details on the number of stream processors or clock speeds are not known yet, the card is reportedly based on the 40nm GF106 core and will feature up to 1GB of GDDR5 memory, which will be addressed via a 128-bit memory bus.

Price is also unknown, but $150-$170 is likely if Nvidia intends to compete with the Radeon HD 5770. Interestingly, the site also suggests Nvidia's AIC partners will be free to make their own non-reference designs at release.

Entry-level graphics cards based on the GF108 graphics processor are expected further down the road to fill the sub-$100 market. With this, Nvidia is hoping to steal back part of the mainstream and low-end graphics market, which has been dominated by ATI for a while. However, it should be noted that the company may only have a few months of breathing space before ATI comes out with their second-generation DirectX 11 cards by the end of the year.

Permalink to story.

"before ATI comes out with their second-generation DirectX 11 cards by th"

I think it got cut off.

When is ATI gonna say anything about the refresh of its cards or the 6xxx cards. nVidia is really coming back

kg363 said:
When is ATI gonna say anything about the refresh of its cards or the 6xxx cards. nVidia is really coming back

What I wonder is, Would there be a way to get cards like the GTX 465,470 and 480 running like the 460. Cool quiet and power efficient. Right now if your looking for a fermi anything other than the 460 is pretty stupid.

I have to agree with that comment princeton,the GTX460 is the only nvidia card i would consider buying.

What I wonder is, Would there be a way to get cards like the GTX 465,470 and 480 running like the 460.
Probably not in the short term. My guess is that 465 will be given a blindfold and a last cigarette very soon, 470 will go EOL once stocks run down and then nvidia will bring out the full 384 shader version of the GTX 460, which should have performance closer to the 480 and be better than the 470 (and probably will get the GTX 475 moniker) for much better thermal characteristics.
For GF100 (GTX 480) to get it's thermal/heat envelope down is going to require a major revision of silicon. Whether that is on the cards is anyone's guess, and it could be that a dual-GTX 460 may replace GTX 480. Nvidia also needs to refine it's GDDR5 memory controller along with the GPU.
The architecture has proven to be very capable, especially with regard to tessellation, high AA and other advanced IQ settings. It just remains to be seen whether a silicon revision is enough to tame the power requirement or if GF100 needs to move to a smaller process (28nm) to that to happen.

I think that just too slow...
ATI , going to release HD 6000 Series in Q4
and it going to be the finish blow to GF100,104 or 108

Back