Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Super Review: Excellent Value at $160

Julio Franco

Staff member

Today we're bringing you a day-one review of the new GeForce GTX 1650 Super and it seems we're doing so against Nvidia's wishes. In a puzzling decision, they decided to block drivers and pricing ahead of release. It's not the first time they pull this kind of tactic, last time it was with the horrible GTX 1650, which scored 60 out 100. On the other hand, we're finding the GTX 1650 Super to be worth your money, so read on.

Read the full article here.

This is a nice upgrade from the 1650. Hopefully this drives down rx5500 prices the same way 5700 did when 2060s and 70s came out, otherwise it will be super hard for amd to compete if the leaked benches are correct.

I'm surprised the single undermining factor of this card wasn't even mentioned....and that is the fact that it can't be supplied power by the PCIe slot alone now that it's above the 75W threshold. This will typically require a power supply thats 6/8-pin PCIe capable which if one isn't already present will contribute to additonal cost upfront. At which point I would argue that the 1660 SUPER would be the better buy. I'm sure Nvidia recognized the original 1650s only positive in that respect thus being the reason why it was priced high from the start. So with the 1650 SUPER you're really splitting hairs at that point. If you had to drop dime on a new power supply you might as well go a notch up on the gpu as well. Meh...to each their own.

Last edited:
I'm surprised the single undermining factor of this card wasn't even mentioned....and that is the fact that it can't be supplied power by the PCIe slot alone now that it's above the 75W threshold. This will typically require a power supply thats 6/8-pin PCIe capable which if one isn't already present will contribute to additonal cost upfront. At which point I would argue that the 1660 SUPER would be the better buy. I'm sure Nvidia recognized the original 1650s only positive in that respect thus being the reason why it was priced high from the start. So with the 1650 SUPER you're really splitting hairs at that point. If you had to drop dime on a new power supply you might as well go a notch up on the gpu as well. Meh...to each their own.

If your PSU in 2019 doesn't have at least two PCIe connectors, you're doing it wrong.

At $160 this makes the 1660 look bad. A 37.5% increase in price for 9.5% extra performance. Might as well spend the extra $10-40 and get the 1660 Super at that point.

Remember that TS/HUB did a test adding in a 1650 to a typical OEM system and IIRC it did not fare particularly well. Didn't get much higher framerate than a 1050Ti even though it does worlds better in a decent DIY PC.

As it is, I have an OEM i7-4790 PC with a 280W PSU and x16 slot. And I have a 1050Ti. They have not met yet (the 1050Ti is currently in an R5 2600 system) but soon they will so I can do a comparo at the lower end.

In a technical sense, I find the comparison between the 1650S and the 1060 6GB to be interesting as both have the same:

1280 CUDA cores
Base and Boost clocks (within 25MHz)
TUs
Memory bandwidth

Advantages to the 1060 are 50% more ROPs (48 vs 32) and memory (6 vs 4GB). And maybe the power cap (120 vs 100W).
Advantage to the 1650S is core IPC increase alone.

In the end I suspect at 1080p the memory and power differences were small, and the gaming differences came out to ROP vs. IPC advantages. The games featured towards the top happened to favor the IPC and the games towards the bottom favored ROPs. Overall pretty similar though.

If your PSU in 2019 doesn't have at least two PCIe connectors, you're doing it wrong.

This excludes pre-built gaming rigs with decent power supplies. Should have clarified in previous post. I was more or less talkin about your random run of the mill OEM build from Dell, HP, etc

Not surprised by this at all. They abandon the 1650 for a cut down 1660, just like the 2060 Super is a cut down 2070 and the 2070 super is a cut down 2080. They just dropped the prices to where they should have been. It's on AMD for NV getting away with a year of meh cards at overpriced msrps. Things are about where they should be now.

Small Navis coming soon? Then who knows when the next mid starter range Nvidia card comes out. Maybe as soon as July? I don't think they really start off with low end cards. Maybe a 3060 for $350 idk. And it looks like you can get a 580 atm for $150 at least on Newegg. Who knows how long that will last. At this moment in time before small Navi I'd go for it at that price range over the 580 just because of the obscure issues I've had with amd drivers.

This excludes pre-built gaming rigs with decent power supplies. Should have clarified in previous post. I was more or less talkin about your random run of the mill OEM build from Dell, HP, etc
Yea no. If you're putting a 1650 super in a prebuilt with no adequate PSU or PCIe you're doing it wrong and deserve what you get.

Apparently these cards overclock pretty well

index.php

$160?!, thats means they'll be £126 in the UK.....(will they F**K!!)
The US prices never have tax on the advertised price as each state has different VAT percentages, but yeah by the time you've added 20% VAT in the UK we'll get it for around £160-70

I'm surprised the single undermining factor of this card wasn't even mentioned....and that is the fact that it can't be supplied power by the PCIe slot alone now that it's above the 75W threshold. This will typically require a power supply thats 6/8-pin PCIe capable which if one isn't already present will contribute to additonal cost upfront. At which point I would argue that the 1660 SUPER would be the better buy. I'm sure Nvidia recognized the original 1650s only positive in that respect thus being the reason why it was priced high from the start. So with the 1650 SUPER you're really splitting hairs at that point. If you had to drop dime on a new power supply you might as well go a notch up on the GPU as well. Meh...to each their own.

Like most graphics cards from the past 10+ years, I'm pretty sure this'll come with a molex to pcie adapter. Which even if it doesn't for some reason, they only cost pennies to acquire.. The 1660 Super is significantly more expensive.

You can always be adding extra $10 - $20 and before you know you're at 2080TI price :p
Or you could give up a burger and a few beers for a day or two, It comes down to priorities. We are talking $20, most people waste that every day on crap. This is a one off that will last you many years.

Like most graphics cards from the past 10+ years, I'm pretty sure this'll come with a molex to pcie adapter. Which even if it doesn't for some reason, they only cost pennies to acquire.. The 1660 Super is significantly more expensive.

Right.....having the adapter is one thing. But I'm skeptical when it comes to OEM PSUs supplying adequate juice.

Back