Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Review & Mega Benchmark

" Are today’s GPUs more complex than they were a few years ago? Have manufacturing costs increased? We know the cost to build a modern fab is astronomical, and yields for these big complex GPUs aren’t great. Also, is more investment being made into research and development? The answer to that one is unquestionably yes."

If that is the explanation, why is nVidia having record profits in gaming?

Well, my question is if 2060, replaces 1070 (from My point of view - mostly due to currency exchange fluctuations here in Central Europe), and two years ago wasn't enough of an upgrade over GTX 970, and Navi is nowhere to be seen, would 2060 make sense to be a viable upgrade for at least next 3 years? My main concern is only 6 GB of VRAM, which today seems OK, but what if next gen consoles introduce more demanding textures. Did someone test the above selection of games with some modded HD texture packs?
Generally, I think I'll wait for Navi mid-range, better yet for the next gen consoles to see what they pack.

I made this comment on a previous article, and I'll make it again:

I'd like to see the card comparisons based on 1% figures rather than average FPS. I think that's more indicative of experience in games.

Basically, if you can find a decently overclocked model, it'll perform right up with a 2070 anyway? Except possibly with Ray-Tracing but due to lack of content, it's hard to judge if that even matters?

" Are today’s GPUs more complex than they were a few years ago? Have manufacturing costs increased? We know the cost to build a modern fab is astronomical, and yields for these big complex GPUs aren’t great. Also, is more investment being made into research and development? The answer to that one is unquestionably yes."

If that is the explanation, why is nVidia having record profits in gaming?

Mining....

My old card is running fine and plays every game I own ..... I'll wait until the price drops to 1/3 of it's' current level ..... :)
Thats the thing. It never does because they stop producing it and new one takes its place. They never over-produce for this exact reason.

My old card is running fine and plays every game I own ..... I'll wait until the price drops to 1/3 of it's' current level ..... :)
Thats the thing. It never does because they stop producing it and new one takes its place. They never over-produce for this exact reason.
Unless there is competition....
AMD may produce better performance cards without RT - with low cost per frame. The RX570 at $2.17 is very attractive when you consider that the GTX 1050 TI sold for $125 at it's low point (about $3 per frame).
Then, in the wings, we have another player, Intel. I would imagine that a GTX 1070 equivalent priced at $3 per frame ($225-$230) would be a hit.
Vive La Competicion!!

So without sounding all "get off my lawn" I was struck by what is considered "not consumer pricing" now and thought "you kids have it so good!"

Im a vintage Mac enthusiast and I have been recently buying parts for my older Macs that I couldnt afford when they were new. Later today Im picking up an eBay buy of a SuperMac 8-24 PDQ. (Specs here http://lowendmac.com/video/spectrum824pdq.html). Bottom line, it will let me display 1152 x 882 up to 8-bit. 8. Bit. Color. Max I can do for 16bit, 832 x 624. At the time I would have been lusting after it, it cost $825 - thats $1431 in todays dollars according to BLS. $1400 to get 8bit color.

I get that times change but really, these things are amazing at the very bottom end as far as performance and the prices are insane.

This card would be huge with GTX branding instead, smaller chip, less power consumption, no ray tracing and 300€ price. Is 420€ in europe with a rtx 1080p 60fps medium settings experience and higher power draw.

I would absolutely love a head to head vs an overclocked 980ti

6gb vs 6gb 1440p battle royal

2060 would win, but by how little? 5%? 10%? 25%?

And lets say you can score a 980ti for as little as $180-200, whats its price/frame then?

Excellent review! Its good to see that my 1080 is still a good card at 1440p and hopefully I can hold off until another generation to do a complete rebuild. Still rocking my 3770k from 2013!

I'm not sure which is more depressing:

#1 The feeling that this generation of cards is woefully inept to replace the power of the last generation

or

#2 The games that are being used to test these cards are so boring.

The thing is... who is going to buy that?

People having any high-range cards are having the same performances. You don't get more performances and the price is extremely similar.

This card is not even mid range at 350$. You can buy a console at that price. People with a 200$ budget will not buy this card because it is called a 2060 RTX, period.

It is not a mid-range card. It is still the better value of RTX card, hand down, but it is 350$ and the performances increment drop. Navi is coming in june and if the pricing is close to what the look supposed, AMD will have 20% better performances for 50$ less than the RTX 2060 at worst. Basically AMD plan Navi to be the new RX580/570 price/performance ratio, how can Nvidia expect 4.06$ per frame to be justified?

It is the best of RTX, but it still horrible!

I made this comment on a previous article, and I'll make it again:

I'd like to see the card comparisons based on 1% figures rather than average FPS. I think that's more indicative of experience in games.
Go to HardOCP for such

Excellent review! Its good to see that my 1080 is still a good card at 1440p and hopefully I can hold off until another generation to do a complete rebuild. Still rocking my 3770k from 2013!
the 3770 is def holding you back. I moved from it to Ryzen1600 (Massive boost in -.1% lows) im running 1070Ti

the 3770 is def holding you back. I moved from it to Ryzen1600 (Massive boost in -.1% lows) im running 1070Ti
Hey, I was planning to upgrade my gpu to either 2060 or 2070 still I'm running i7 3770 will it bottle neck. How much performance increase did you notice after upgrade, Thanks.

Hey, I was planning to upgrade my gpu to either 2060 or 2070 still I'm running i7 3770 will it bottle neck. How much performance increase did you notice after upgrade, Thanks.
17.96% performance increase after upgrade.

Conclusively faster than Vega 56 on immature drivers, 100 watts less power draw under load.

That's an astronomical gulf in performance per watt. Navi better be something special.

Techpowerup recently retested a lot of GPU's with the latest Nvidia and AMD driver. View the full review here:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Palit/GeForce_RTX_2070_GameRock_Premium/

Techspot claims to have done the same in their latest RTX 2060 review. But, the statement "We used AMD's Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.1.1 drivers for the Radeon GPUs and Game Ready 417.35 WHQL for the GeForce GPUs." is simply not true.

This is how I noticed that the latest benchmarks are fake.
Battlefield V performance review:
https://www.techspot.com/review/1746-battlefield-5-gpu-performance/
Battlefield V performance in latest RTX 2060 review:
https://www.techspot.com/review/1781-geforce-rtx-2060-mega-benchmark/

In the TPU reviews, ( Original Battlefield V performance review vs RTX 2070 Gamerock review ) you clearly see the performance improvements done by AMD in the latest drivers in Battlefield V while on techpost.com all AMD benchmarks show the exact same results as on driver 18.11.1 from two months ago. Not only that, Nvidia has also improved performance going form driver 416.81 to driver to driver 417.35 , clearly visible when you compare the original Battlefield V performance review on TPU with the latest RTX 2070 review, but on techspot.com the Nvidia performance on 1440p stays exactly the same on all cards, both the minimum and avarage fps. Simply not possible with the driver improvements form the last couple of months.

And in case you might think that the charts are dynamic and updated with new results, have a look at the YouTube video with these charts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUhCf6t3RBA

Clear evidence that they have not retested AMD cards on 19.1.1 and they have not retested Nvidia cards on 417.35.

Back