Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Review: Ampere at $400 Beats Everything Else

The 3070 seems to have no reason to exist anymore.

3060 will get u features like dlss 2.0 and 12% percent less perf for 20% less msrp.

3060 ti If u are interested in 1080p/1440p, 3080 for better perfomance and 4k.

That is once availability becomes normal, right now it with hard to find stock and prices way off msrp it depends on the circumstances, 3070 could still be a decent buy if 3060 ti is non existent or too expensive.

The 3070 seems to have no reason to exist anymore.

3060 will get u features like dlss 2.0 and 12% percent less perf for 20% less msrp.

Not sure, but the 3070 FE looks very attractive to me after this review. The AIB OC models have a lower performance and higher power consumption than the 3070 FE.

If the tested AIB models are available for MSRP (once the market has settled), that would be an attractive price / perf option over the 3070FE, but given that they are at best only $50 less - or worst case same price, I‘d definitely get the 3070 FE over an AIB 3060 Ti.

I'm impressed that you're getting superior performance to the 2080 Super in a $400 card... of course, if you owned the 2080 or 2080 Super, you're probably pretty annoyed by this...
As a 5500XT 4GB owner, this would be a very good update to get to 1440p gaming.

What irks me a bit is that neither nVidia nor AMD are willing to offer a true Polaris or 1060 replacement. These GPU allowed to play then current games at high quality settings and frame rates for $200-250 back in 2016.

Would it be too much to ask for a card in the same price range that could achieve this @1440p ?

I see no point in anything below the 3080 with the exception of GPU for laptops.

PC Gamers are chasing 4K 60fps and 120fps if possible.

Only if they have deep pockets. Good quality 4k monitors with high refresh rates still aren't affordable.

While I'm personally with you in the 3080 camp, most people will get the 3060Ti and have a great time with it.
Have to remember that @QuantumPhysics lives in an alternate reality where people usually spends $3k every year updating their builds for gaming, no point in anything below that.

Not sure, but the 3070 FE looks very attractive to me after this review. The AIB OC models have a lower performance and higher power consumption than the 3070 FE.

If the tested AIB models are available for MSRP (once the market has settled), that would be an attractive price / perf option over the 3070FE, but given that they are at best only $50 less - or worst case same price, I‘d definitely get the 3070 FE over an AIB 3060 Ti.

You're not comparing apples to apples.

High end AIB models like these always allow higher power consumption for higher performance, hence the decent 9% OC on the ROG Strix. The 3070 AIB models are just the same and use more power than these 3060 Ti AIBs. If you want a lower power consumption 3060 Ti, get the 3060 Ti FE or an entry-level AIB 3060 Ti.

Or do it yourself: undervolt and underclock or OC your model and save 20-30% power with similar or higher performance. That's what I do with my 1080.

"First, we’re not down to play at 1080p, especially when spending $400 (or more) on a graphics card. That’s just too much to be spending on a 1080p experience, unless you’re doing it for professional competitive gaming."

This is fair enough, but I think you'll find that plenty of gamers would take higher refresh rate gameplay at 1080p (on a 24" panel or smaller, of course, to avoid overly blurry picture) in even non-competitive games over extra detail.

I know, because up until recently (when I've started to appreciate locked 60 experiences more at 1440p), I was one of them. Get high end hardware, then play at 1080p to maximize frames. The difference between 60 and 144Hz was game changing for me, even in something slower paced like the Witcher 3 or Skyrim. It was one of those things that was remarkably difficult to downgrade from.

With that said, this isn't a criticism, just an observation. Good review as always, thanks Steve! Seems like the 3060 Ti is really a beast given the price point. Even for another $50 for a third-party model, seems like an alright deal to me.

Stock as always is the key question here.

Nice to see all these reviews on hardware you can't get. :(

Also, I game just fine at 4K on an old 2070. The 3060 TI should be very capable at 4K.

Only if they have deep pockets. Good quality 4k monitors with high refresh rates still aren't affordable.

While I'm personally with you in the 3080 camp, most people will get the 3060Ti and have a great time with it.
According to Steam survey, which is not definitive but somehow representative, its GTX1060 or 1050 Ti, so both under $150, the most affordable cards for people that actually live. American excluded, cause obviously Their income, and unicorns, are outside of the realm of regular people.

Have to remember that @QuantumPhysics lives in an alternate reality where people usually spends $3k every year updating their builds for gaming, no point in anything below that.
Not sure if QP actually lives in luxury or lives in luxury fantasy, as we have no proof QP can actually purchase and own all the boastings so far. Any teen sitting in a grandparent's home basement at an ordinary neighbourhood can type anything similar. Just saying.

Coming back to the topic, the 3060Ti - it's a good card but 3070 seems more reasonable, as it humbly replaced the obnoxiously priced 2080Ti, putting it to shame. 3060Ti is not bad though.

Good to see my 5700XT is still going strong when compared to this card.

Thanks - a good review - but again I will mention a point I have previously brought up .

The above review is all or nothing - ie run the game in ultra high,
Now it seems most of the commentators are experienced gamers and know tweaks to get a sweet spot for their set up.

But for people coming to Techspot for the first time - you can reference a sub post.
How to MAXIMISE your card . Now someone above runs at 4k on a 2070

Also as we can see from your comments & those here - people value different things.

60fps @4K - or say 144fps at 1440P etc
What should a gamer with a 3060 for example need to do - to get the least quality downgrade .

Or even a generic - you can turn these things off first

"I know, because up until recently (when I've started to appreciate locked 60 experiences more at 1440p), I was one of them. Get high end hardware, then play at 1080p to maximize frames. The difference between 60 and 144Hz was game changing for me, even in something slower paced like the Witcher 3 or Skyrim. It was one of those things that was remarkably difficult to downgrade from."
This comment should spur anyone on to get a good 2k monitor now to avoid that money you have burning the whole of your pocket....then push the boat out next year with a nice choice of GPU's to have a go at.

You're not comparing apples to apples.

High end AIB models like these always allow higher power consumption for higher performance, hence the decent 9% OC on the ROG Strix. The 3070 AIB models are just the same and use more power than these 3060 Ti AIBs. If you want a lower power consumption 3060 Ti, get the 3060 Ti FE or an entry-level AIB 3060 Ti.

Or do it yourself: undervolt and underclock or OC your model and save 20-30% power with similar or higher performance. That's what I do with my 1080.
Maybe, but why would I pay $500 for a 3060Ti AIB when I can get a 3070 FE for the same price that has better performance and lower power consumption ?

Look at the PCAT numbers - 3070FE uses 226W, the Asus 3060Ti also uses 226W and the MSI model 255(!) W for Doom.

Can't find performance numbers but as the 3070 is quite a bit ahead at 1440p, I guess it's the same at 4k.

Last edited:
By the time you can find a 3060Ti, the 3060 Super will be announced.

I'm a bit confused what you meant by your comment, is it just a jab at another paper launch exploited by scalpers I assume?

Anyways your mention of a 3060 Super got me thinking, with these performance numbers, there's plenty of room in the lineup for a base 3060 and a 3060 Super to coexist with the 3060 Ti.

Back