Status
Not open for further replies.

wookieecrisp

Hello everyone,

Which is better in terms of performance and power:

Single Nvidia GeForce GTX 295
or
Single ATI Radeon 5870

they are both great but the 5870 only beats the 295 in about 5 games but the 5870 does use less power and has dx 11 vs the gtx 295 only having dx 10

The HD 5870 is a single GPU compared to two for the GTX 295. It's not a fair fight, but the Radeon still manages to get ahead in a few games. So, in terms of price to performance, the HD 5870 gets my vote. :)

one of the things that is lost in this is the fact that the 5870 is a DX 11 card far technologically advanced (DX 11 .compute-shade,tessellation, etc and ready for the next generation of games.

The 5870, purely for the fact that it is a single-GPU card and is as-such less dependent on driver support for good performance in games compared to the GTX 295, which is basically two GTX 260s SLI-ed on one PCB. SLI support is usually close to non-existent in titles when they release, and is only improved after a patch or two, or new drivers.

I personally hate playing the waiting game, so I'd go for a single-GPU solution that guarantees that I can use all the pixel-processing horsepower, rather than having some of it go to waste, as in the case of dual-GPU solutions like the GTX 295.

Power consumption and heat output are two other concerns; the 5870 wins out in that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back