Nvidia has filed trademarks for 3080, 4080, and 5080

onetheycallEric

In context: Nvidia is hoping to keep AMD from piggybacking off its branding scheme by filing for a trademark for 3080, 4080, and 5080. Nvidia isn't making any claims to the numbers outside of PC graphics, though the trademark is still under review suggesting that attempting to reserve the numbers could be deemed too broad. Still, a pending trademark could be enough to deter AMD from using the confusing RX 30xx branding.

In what we can assume is a move to head off AMD's rumored RX 3080 branding for Navi, Nvidia has filed to trademark the numbers 3080, 4080, and 5080. Over the last couple of years, AMD has developed a penchant for mimicking Intel's branding nomenclature with its Ryzen processors and chipsets. Rumors have suggested for quite some time that AMD would employ a similar tactic with Nvidia, one-upping the RTX 20xx series with its own RX 30xx branding.

Veracity of the rumors aside, it would seem Nvidia isn't taking any chances, opting to preserve the branding for its Turing successors. Branding is important, and AMD has been anything but consistent with its own Radeon branding, at times choosing to be needlessly confusing. Nvidia isn't exactly innocent here either, pivoting from the recognizable GTX to RTX, begging confusion with AMD's RX series.

Both Navi and Turing cards using a similar branding would be confusing, especially to the uninformed buyer, and Nvidia certainly doesn't want its flagship cards eclipsed by Navi under the guise that higher numbers equate to better performance.

It's worth noting that while Nvidia has filed, the trademark is still under review by the European Union Intellectual Property Office. It's possible that the numbers could be too broad or common for a trademark.

Nvidia has a "super" announcement inbound for Computex, while AMD has a slew of summer events coming up through which we should learn all about Navi and more.

Permalink to story.

"Nvidia certainly doesn't want its flagship cards eclipsed by Navi under the guise that higher numbers equate to better performance"

RX 3180 > RTX 3080

RX 4180 > RTX 4080

RX 5180 > RTX 5080

:p

You should send that to AMD :) but putting that aside AMD should still be able to call their cards RX4080 for example as it isn't RTX4080 but in case then can they should just trademark 6080, 7080 and 8080 that would just be too funny :p

It is useful to the consumer to have the competitors naming similar.
it makes it much more simple to compare the price performance for the everyday shopper.
If they allow a hardware manufacturer to own the copyright to numbers there is going to be such confusion in the future. It should and will be laughed at and thrown out, Rightly so to.

I'm hoping AMD will one-up nVidia.... 3081, 4081, etc

Somehow this reminds me of the 'silly walk' (thank you, John Cleese).

AMD will always be two steps behind at this point. But fortunately for them, the mainstream is cash-poor and more likely to be spending small amounts of money on their product than Nvidias.

I took a friend shopping for a lightweight travel laptop. NATURALLY I had her get the Core i7 with a Geforce GPU over anything AMD was offering there - despite it being $300 cheaper, but it is nice to know people who don't have as much cash could have chosen the AMD CPU-GPU model instead of hers which was $899 with 5% off for a Microcenter Card holder.

I trust Intel and Nvidia.

AMD will always be two steps behind at this point. But fortunately for them, the mainstream is cash-poor and more likely to be spending small amounts of money on their product than Nvidias.

I took a friend shopping for a lightweight travel laptop. NATURALLY I had her get the Core i7 with a Geforce GPU over anything AMD was offering there - despite it being $300 cheaper, but it is nice to know people who don't have as much cash could have chosen the AMD CPU-GPU model instead of hers which was $899 with 5% off for a Microcenter Card holder.

Can you contribute something other than your bank statement to the conversation?

So in other words, you made her spend $300 additional because you prefer certain brands. What a good 'friend'.

Any $599 laptop from either vendor is likely overkill for a "travel" laptop (whatever that means, it's kind of the point of laptops). I mean, considering you can get a Ryzen 2500u based laptop w/ an SSD under $500 all day I'd love to here how that system wouldn't be able to more than handle whatever she is doing.

Your trust in companies that are there only to squeeze as much money out of you as possible is alarming.

I actually liked the older AMD card nomenclature. ie. 3830, 3850 and 3870 instead of 2900GT, 2900XT and 2900PRO. you know exactly what you're getting without having to read a benchmark first.

It is useful to the consumer to have the competitors naming similar.
it makes it much more simple to compare the price performance for the everyday shopper.
If they allow a hardware manufacturer to own the copyright to numbers there is going to be such confusion in the future. It should and will be laughed at and thrown out, Rightly so to.

This comment is just all kinds of wrong.

So you cost your friend $300 because you are a blind fanboy?
Plus it sounds like you forced her to get a GAMING capable laptop even though its for 'travel', whatever that means.

Well done good sir, well done.

/sarcasm

I'd take a Ryzen equipped laptop + $300 any day of the week (if it's not for gaming).

You are an absolutely TERRIBLE friend.

Just a nore if a rtx 2070 has the power of a gtx 1080 (ti) nvidia has beaten it self in double performance. so if amd should beat it self it would be good for costumers to get better faster cpu gpus ram sockets motherboards with pcie 4.0-5.0 in a few months. release of pcie 4.0 are soon out with gpu s that support the 4.0 out of the box. gtx series rtx rx must soon state they support the new 4.0 pcie. x570 amd we wait for you and 8k gaming with no problems at all. double speed would be nice. from pcie 1.0-3.0 was enough in that tie ans still it is.

I thought you could not trademark a number by itself. Intel found out the hard way with AMD back in the days.

Especially numbers they haven't even used yet. Trademark is defined as the following:

"a symbol, word, or words legally registered or established by use as representing a company or product."

Key words being "established by use". Nvidia hasn't even used these yet and should not qualify as a trademark.

You "Trust" Intel and Nvidia? Nvidia, the same company that can't go a year without lying to consumers about it's products (and getting sued for it)? Or Intel? The company that monopolized the CPU market for a decade using coercion and bribes and slowed the progress of desktop CPUs? The company that now has over 9 critical security holes in all their desktop CPU products?

I could understand if you buy Intel for the better performance but trusting them is ridiculous. They are one of the least trustworthy companies and that's a fricking low bar.

So in other words, you made her spend $300 additional because you prefer certain brands. What a good 'friend'.

Any $599 laptop from either vendor is likely overkill for a "travel" laptop (whatever that means, it's kind of the point of laptops). I mean, considering you can get a Ryzen 2500u based laptop w/ an SSD under $500 all day I'd love to here how that system wouldn't be able to more than handle whatever she is doing.

Your trust in companies that are there only to squeeze as much money out of you as possible is alarming.

Exactly. Instead of looking at the situation objectively he "naturally" (in his own words) just spent a ton more on Intel. It's almost certain she won't see a benefit in a travel laptop.

#1. She makes $100,000+ per year so don’t worry, she won’t feel the $1200 she spent for the Dell Inspiron 14 2-in-1.

#2. I will never side with AMD over intel or Nvidia and will actively work to cost them as many sales as I can.

#3. The Core i7 is easily the best and will give her the most longevity.

#2. I will never side with AMD over intel or Nvidia and will actively work to cost them as many sales as I can.
You are really on a roll! Guess nothing anyone here says will change your mind and that’s okay. To each his own.

However, for the typical consumer, it’s probably wise to shop within your means for the current best product that meets your needs rather than focusing too much on acting mainly based on the sentiments you have attached to business organizations who only make business decisions primarily based on their own financial interest rather than yours.

Fortunately for AMD they are now two steps ahead of Intel: performance wise with the 3000 which will launch soon and security wise (intel is royally screwed at the moment here).

#1. She makes $100,000+ per year so don’t worry, she won’t feel the $1200 she spent for the Dell Inspiron 14 2-in-1.

Why do you think that citing someone's salary validates someone's opinion? All you ever talk about is how much money you have, go join a golf club if you want to talk about money. This is a tech forum

Nvidia certainly doesn't want its flagship cards eclipsed by Navi under the guise that higher numbers equate to better performance.....

Therefore, the Top Cards from NVidia will (In an Ideal World) be Re-Branded as "Infinity" Cards, and the Ti cards will be Re-Branded as "Infinity+1"

Why do you think that citing someone's salary validates someone's opinion? All you ever talk about is how much money you have, go join a golf club if you want to talk about money. This is a tech forum

Free market capitalism is true democracy .

People vote with their feet and with their dollar. She could have purchased the AMD model but I had her purchase the Nvidia/Intel model instead. That is all.

GOLF is boring.

After that comment I lost some respect for you as well as your true colors slowly show lately on bragging comments and dissing on AMD products. You have some good comments but wow.................. I know you don't care and I will still like your future comments most of the time but you gotta stop gloating and trying to brainwash others that AMD is some sort of "failure."

Some people just won't spend top dollar just for a few FPS, I would rather use that money for other things like house, car, street bike parts, better foods, etc.. I don't have the best hardware really and am I poor because I own AMD stuff?

After that comment I lost some respect for you as well as your true colors slowly show lately on bragging comments and dissing on AMD products. You have some good comments but wow.................. I know you don't care and I will still like your future comments most of the time but you gotta stop gloating and trying to brainwash others that AMD is some sort of "failure."

Some people just won't spend top dollar just for a few FPS, I would rather use that money for other things like house, car, street bike parts, better foods, etc.. I don't have the best hardware really and am I poor because I own AMD stuff?

The extra money she spent didn't just give her the i7 and Geforce graphics.

It also meant a jump from 8GB RAM to 16GB and a jump from 256GB to 512GB.

So once again, it was an excellent choice and it's been made.

Back