Nvidia intros GeForce 300M series mobile GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Without any fanfare, Nvidia introduced a new range of graphics processors this week, aimed specifically at the notebook market. A total of seven GeForce 300M-series GPUs stretching across the high performance, performance and mainstream segment were launched, but the new chips are not that different from the 200M series parts they are replacing.

In fact, the architecture is exactly the same. These new products all have 40nm graphics chips with support for DirectX 10.1 -- just with optimized performance or power consumption levels. The flagship GTS 360M, for example, sports the same number of cores (96), the same 128-bit bus width and support for GDDR5 memory clocked up to 2GHz as the GTS 260M, but is capable of processing slightly more gigaflops (413 versus 396).

The GT 335M makes the largest leap in performance of the entire series with 72 cores and up to 1,066MHz DDR3 memory. Below it, the GT 330M and GT 325M have the same 48 cores as Nvidia's previous mid range models and are primarily clock speed boosts compared the older GT 240M. The company is yet to fill the enthusiast segment, so we'll have to wait and see if a GTX 280M/260M rebadge is in order or they are holding out for Fermi.

Permalink to story.

If anyone has read my last posts about Fermi, You'll realise that i'm waiting out for Nvidia to come out with something great. This was the biggest let down of my day, I read the headline and I got all excited then when I actually read the artical, its just a re-branding of old. WTF!? I think I might jump ship after all if they do this with the whole desktop line as well.

Well, my initial excitement at the release news has congealed into a little borderline disgust on this one... I may use ATi in my desktops these days, but I have always chosen nVidia for the GPU in my notebooks... I'm starting to rethink that loyalty here.

I just find it interesting. ATi releases some NEW mobile GPU platforms, and now nVidia quietly drops a newer number scheme on what (looking at performance specs) is essentially the current generation of their mobile chips, nothing really new. Are nVidia that desperate to keep market share that they would stoop to upgrading the model numbers just to hopefully snag some unsuspecting consumers who think they are buying the newest best stuff? And, honestly, what does that say about how stupid they think WE are?

nVidia isn't just losing ground on the graphics front, they are risking eroding the respect of the consumers.

compdata said:
Smells like desperation to me.

Precisely my impression as well... Far too much repackaging and releasing of underwhelming older technology out of the nVidia camp recently. Does not bode well if this is the kind of marketing hijinx we can expect from now on.

burty117 said:
If anyone has read my last posts about Fermi, You'll realise that i'm waiting out for Nvidia to come out with something great. This was the biggest let down of my day, I read the headline and I got all excited then when I actually read the artical, its just a re-branding of old. WTF!? I think I might jump ship after all if they do this with the whole desktop line as well.

"The Biggest let down of my day" -WTF!!!! Are you 10 years old?-
Did nVidia write the headline? Does it have a sensationalist slant? Does it promise computing on a scale that dwarfs everything that came before?
Read the first three words in the article....."Without any fanfare...". If it were not for Techspot reporting it, would you have known?
Were you standing in a queue when this "news" filtered through, attempting to be the first person on the face of the earth to buy and install a mobile GF100 into your laptop? If so then this is an outrage, an OUTRAGE! I tell you...I demand that Jen Hsun head over to your house right now and make that nasty owie on your brainspot go away!

Jen Hsun Huang, you get down here right now, young man. You have a lot of explaining to do!

Okay, okay...Form two orderly lines...yes, thats it. Pavlov's Dog's to the left and Sheep to the right....c'mon. c'mon, we haven't got all day.

"the new chips are not that different from the 200M series parts they are replacing.
In fact, the architecture is exactly the same."

That's not news, that's just what nvidia do on a daily basis - rebrand old products.

People need to realize that this isn't just a pure name change. The number is changed because these chips are built on the 40nm process. Yes, it's the same core architecture, but they use less power and have a slight performance bump.

And for the people that thought GF300 was Fermi, that's what you get for listening to tech news sites that don't know wtf they're talking about. GF100 is the series number for Fermi.

I don't think this update warrants the first number in the model number to change. The difference between the 7000 and 8000 series was massive!, 8000 and 9000? Small at first, but they kept changing the 9000... I suppose it is to Nvidia's advantage to confuse customers. That way they can pay best buy workers to promote their products!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back