Nvidia is trying to trademark the name 'Hopper' for its next GPUs

mongeese

Staff
The big picture: Hopper is a reference to Grace Hopper (above), a pioneer of computer science and a Navy officer. Among her achievements was the co-creation of UNIVAC, the first fully electronic computer; the co-creation of COBOL, the first enterprise programming language; and the coining of the term "bug" to describe a computer malfunction.

Nvidia first applied to trademark the name Hopper in 2020, and is rumored to be the successor to the Ampere architecture since.

However, Hopper is also the name used by Dish Network for some of its products. Their use of it is in reference to a kangaroo literally hopping around. In April last year, they contested Nvidia’s trademark of the name, claiming that it infringes on their trademark of it in relation to telecommunications services.

Nvidia’s trademark of the name is broad. It mentions telecommunications services once, in the context of providing software (it describes data services 54 times, artificial intelligence 23 times, and gaming 17 times).

Since legal proceedings began, the companies have requested five suspensions to negotiate a settlement. The current suspension will expire on February 22, which doesn’t leave enough time for a court case if Nvidia wants to announce the Hopper architecture at GTC 2022 in March.

It seems likely that it would want to, given that it’s been two years since they announced the Ampere architecture. Since then, both AMD and Intel have announced their superseding architectures. According to some leaks, Hopper will be an enterprise-focused architecture, like the older Volta architecture.

A reliable leaker recently shared that he believes the GH100 processor, based on the Hopper architecture, will have a die size of almost 1000 mm2. It could have up to 288 SMs, or 2.6 times more cores than the Ampere-based GA100 processor.

Image credit: US National Archives and Record Administration, Fritzchens Fritz

Permalink to story.

How about calling it “Figment” since no one will be able to obtain or afford one.

I just came back from Microcenter.

The shelf was stocked with 3080, 3070Ti, 3050, and a number of 2000 series cards - as well as a bunch of AMD cards nobody wants (specifically the Red Devils).

3050 was $439
3080 was $1499
3070ti was $949
6800 was $1219
6800XT = $1449

We will be able to get the 4000 series cards if we wait in person and on line the release day. I specifically like when Microcenter gives out vouchers to reduce the lines and wait by ensuring you the card you came for.

"Hopper, as in something you feed things into for processing. An absolutely obvious reference to Nvidia's laser-focus on mining.

"Hopper, as in something you feed things into for processing. An absolutely obvious reference to Nvidia's laser-focus on mining.
I've seen an article claiming that Nvidia's LHR attempt was made with little effort. This is coming from a company in supposedly the most advanced ai and encryption capabilities in the world.

I really hope the west bans cryptomining just like the east did. Not only is the west energy dependent now the price of energy will continue to inflate directly proportional to the endless greed of mining farms on one side and green fake activists on the other. Some would like to put a gag order on me but in the near future we will not only complain about price of graphics cards unfortunately!

You know .... if they would invest their time and efforts into the product and less time worrying about the name, the end user would benefit. Seriously, don't they know that Nvidia Hopper will be enough for people to recognize the brand? I starting to think that the smartest thing they and other companies could do is get rid of the Marketing Departments and just start using some common sense ....

The shelf was stocked with 3080, 3070Ti, 3050, and a number of 2000 series cards - as well as a bunch of AMD cards nobody wants (specifically the Red Devils).

3050 was $439
3080 was $1499
3070ti was $949
6800 was $1219
6800XT = $1449

We will be able to get the 4000 series cards if we wait in person and on line the release day. I specifically like when Microcenter gives out vouchers to reduce the lines and wait by ensuring you the card you came for.
microcenters are rare, closest one to me is apparently 200 miles away.

Another article about how nVidia just can't get along with anyone. They're becoming more and more like Apple every day.

3050 was $439
3080 was $1499
3070ti was $949
6800 was $1219
6800XT = $1449

That's nice and all for the lucky few that live within decent driving distance of a MicroCenter. The rest of the country is stuck trying to deal with getting one online or lucky at a BestBuy. Stop rubbing your elitist MicroCenter nonsense in our faces and go be rich somewhere else.

In this situation, NVidia is trying to honor an important pioneer in computer science. And if "Hopper" is not available, why not just use "Grace"?

Back