Nvidia proves you can play video games while skydiving

Shawn Knight

Staff member

With the holidays quickly approaching and an impressive lineup of streaming set-top boxes for shoppers to choose from, those with skin in the game are taking their marketing campaigns to new heights (no pun intended).

Nvidia recently enlisted the services of professional skydiver Jeff Provenzano to help promote its Shield Android TV box. The duo built a typical living room, strapped Provenzano to the couch then pushed the set out of a C-130 Hercules.

During the nausea-inducing free fall, the daredevil causally watches television and plays games as if nothing out-of-the-ordinary is happening. There’s also a skydiving cat (not really) because what use would the video be to the Internet without a cat?

Video aside, Nvidia aims to convey that it’s offering a free remote ($49.99 value) when you buy a Shield Android TV.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

The only thing worth note in this video is the expression on the cat's face when it landed. That cat knew exactly what everyone was thinking when the jumper landed solo. It's face says "Exactly as planned." Probably planned the stunt itself on behalf of an nVidia competitor.

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times: cats are evil. They feign lower relative intelligence to take advantage of emotional humans.

The making and viewing of this video is nothing more than a waste of time. But then I watched it, so I must have had the time to waste. And they made it, so they must have had the time to waste as well.

I honestly don't think that the guy was really playing anything. I did not see any wires hooked up to the TV, unless that nVidia thing is wireless and has its own battery. Feel free to enlighten me if I'm wrong.

I honestly don't think that the guy was really playing anything. I did not see any wires hooked up to the TV, unless that nVidia thing is wireless and has its own battery. Feel free to enlighten me if I'm wrong.
Of course he wasn't really playing anything, the were doing a commercial. If they wanted to portray he was playing a game they would've shot the footage either before or after that mock up was tossed out of the plane.

That was pointless. As much so as any perfume ad, I s'pose.

You have about 50s of freefall from 13,500ft to 5,000ft. So he maybe squeaked out 1:10. Nvidia proved you can start a game, and maybe make it through their unskippable logo animation before you have to cut and pull.

Also, 120mph terminal velocity winds are deafening, and the cat was a lame touch.

Back