Nvidia reaches back to announce RTX 2050 laptop

Daniel Sims

Staff
Why it matters: Nvidia just announced some new laptop products which are coming early next year. Most odd is that one of them is a line of laptops featuring a never-before-revealed RTX 2050. It looks like another unexpected measure to work within the supply-choked GPU market.

The new RTX 2050, MX570, and MX550 GPUs should give more choices to customers with different hardware requirements. We already have laptops equipped with the more recent Ampere generation’s RTX 3050, but perhaps the 2050 will be a cheaper option (3050 laptops go for around $800). Even at a lower price point, the RTX 2050 will have all the technologies associated with Nvidia’s latest graphics cards: RT cores, Tensor cores, DLSS, Nvidia Reflex, Nvidia Broadcast, Nvidia Encounter, and Nvidia Optimus.

It’s hard to say how it will perform, though. TechSpot’s review of the GeForce RTX 3050 Ti laptop noted its paltry 4GB of VRAM hurt its ray-tracing performance. Nvidia did just release a 12GB desktop 2060 in another attempt to ease some pressure in the GPU market. So maybe a new laptop 20 series card won’t be short on RAM. The 3050 Ti review also questioned its place in the market compared to the cheaper 1650 or more powerful 3060.

As for the other two cards, the newly announced MX570 is the fastest MX GPU yet. Nvidia hasn’t revealed detailed specs, but it will have more CUDA cores and faster memory. As the successor to the MX450, the GeForce MX550 will outperform integrated graphics with snappy performance in applications like Adobe Lightroom and Premiere Pro.

All three cards are planned for Spring 2022, but Nvidia has not mentioned specific laptop models at this time.

Permalink to story.

"TechSpot’s review of the GeForce RTX 3050 Ti laptop noted its paltry 4GB of VRAM hurt its ray-tracing performance."

Ray Tracing is still a gimmick.

I have played a bunch of new games on ultra settings using a 3090 with Ray Tracing at maximum and still don't see how Ray Tracing adds anything to the gameplay experience. Shadow, smoke and reflective technology from Xbox 360 was good enough. Ray Tracing only causes performance hits and wasting of resources at this time.

I bought an Asus A15 with a 3050Ti and if I play games on it, I'd only be playing at 1080p, getting high FPS and if necessary, I'd keep Ray Tracing turned off without really noticing on the small laptop display anyway.

All that said: stop making mobile GPU with so little VRAM. Make 6GB the minimum so that 1080p and 1440p won't be an issue.

"TechSpot’s review of the GeForce RTX 3050 Ti laptop noted its paltry 4GB of VRAM hurt its ray-tracing performance."

Ray Tracing is still a gimmick.

I have played a bunch of new games on ultra settings using a 3090 with Ray Tracing at maximum and still don't see how Ray Tracing adds anything to the gameplay experience. Shadow, smoke and reflective technology from Xbox 360 was good enough. Ray Tracing only causes performance hits and wasting of resources at this time.

I bought an Asus A15 with a 3050Ti and if I play games on it, I'd only be playing at 1080p, getting high FPS and if necessary, I'd keep Ray Tracing turned off without really noticing on the small laptop display anyway.

All that said: stop making mobile GPU with so little VRAM. Make 6GB the minimum so that 1080p and 1440p won't be an issue.
Lmao, ray tracing is no gimmick. It won’t be long until it’s standard and then after that if your card can’t do it you won’t be playing modern games. The state of the technology is very young at the moment but it is the future.

If you think ray tracing will just go away then you are laughably mistaken.

So, the 2050 has MORE cores then the 2060 mobile but a third the memory bandwidth (64 vs 192 bit, same memory speed) and 2GB less VRAM.

Can someone say "GIMPED"?

What a piece of trash hardware.
Lmao, ray tracing is no gimmick. It won’t be long until it’s standard and then after that if your card can’t do it you won’t be playing modern games.
Yeah, sure, RayTracing is going to be necessary just like hardware T&L was. Sure bud.

You see how long it takes DX versions to take hold? DX11 took 8 years to gain mainstream acceptance, and DX12 is likely to follow the same pattern.

The state of the technology is very young at the moment but it is the future.

If you think ray tracing will just go away then you are laughably mistaken.
So, it's a gimmick? Because that's what a gimmick is.

Let me tell you a secret: the most noticeable effects of RT are possible to achieve with just shaders with a fraction of the performance hit and widespread compatibility. Many of RT's current effects are almost unnoticeable to most people. It's not gonna be a major selling point nor a system breaker anytime soon.

How much better is this chip going to be vs. an integrated graphics solution, and does whatever positive margin it offers justify the increased system complexity?

My guess is if you're convinced you want to pay for discrete graphics you want something more than this; and if you don't want something more with this, you could probably be just as happy with current integrated graphics options (and/or maybe game streaming.)

How much better is this chip going to be vs. an integrated graphics solution, and does whatever positive margin it offers justify the increased system complexity?

My guess is if you're convinced you want to pay for discrete graphics you want something more than this; and if you don't want something more with this, you could probably be just as happy with current integrated graphics options (and/or maybe game streaming.)
Even in its gimped form, this will be nowhere close to integrated GPU performance. Even with a gimped 64 bit bus this GPU has over thrice the bandwidth to itself as the ryzen 5000 mobile series can manage. 4266 mhz lpddr4x can hit 48 GB/s, this card has 112GB/s. 3200MHz DDR4 is significantly lower, closer to 35GB/s

Even in its gimped form, this will be nowhere close to integrated GPU performance. Even with a gimped 64 bit bus this GPU has over thrice the bandwidth to itself as the ryzen 5000 mobile series can manage. 4266 mhz lpddr4x can hit 48 GB/s, this card has 112GB/s. 3200MHz DDR4 is significantly lower, closer to 35GB/s

And don't forget it also has 2-3x the cores of even the best iGPUs. This is *much* better than any iGPU.

So, it's a gimmick? Because that's what a gimmick is.

Let me tell you a secret: the most noticeable effects of RT are possible to achieve with just shaders with a fraction of the performance hit and widespread compatibility. Many of RT's current effects are almost unnoticeable to most people. It's not gonna be a major selling point nor a system breaker anytime soon.
You are incorrect. Ray tracing provides you with effects you cannot do with regular lighting technology. It is a progression on top of regular lighting. If you can’t see it then you need your eyes tested. You probably just haven’t actually ever used it if you genuinely feel this way. If you could achieve the same results with alternative lighting methods, cgi movie studios would not use it.

Oh and we already have one game that requires ray tracing hardware. If you think eventually our games won’t eventually require hardware that can do path tracing then you are misguided.

By definition, ray tracing is not a gimmick, a gimmick is defined as a trick to get customers to buy something. Ray tracing is no trick, it’s been used in cgi movies for a very long time and now it’s done in real time in games.

RT is coming, you are clearly poorly informed on the subject but let me tell you a well known fact, it’s no gimmick and it’s 100% noticeable if you aren’t an ignorant or blind.

I think it's disingenuous to call this an "RTX" 2050. Ray tracing performance will be poor since ray tracing usually requires an extra 1-2GB VRAM in addition to the regular amount of VRAM. I think it would be good for laptops in the $450-$650 range and good for entry level gaming or other GPU-related tasks if you just need a computer with a basic GPU. Any higher than $650 and this GPU will be competing with 3050 and 1650 and won't sell well.

Back